James Gray &Jamie Reid

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Gray has been missing in games I've seen , ok he might only be needed 5 seconds in a match to put ball in back of the onion bag. But he has not done that well either all be it perhaps no one else has provided much.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I would like to have seen Gray in action more - showed promise in pre-season (though I acknowledge against weak opposition).

Hopefully he’ll bang them in for fun at York and get given an opportunity back here.

I think as others have a alluded to the Reid situation is a tactical one to free up another loan spot, he must be a relatively cheap signing as it would have been just as ray to let him go
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I may be a 'lone wolf' on this thread, given most think Jamie Reid is not creative, lacks vision, bottles his chances and can't defend. But these tags could apply to most all of our players this and previous seasons. Indeed, I think these tags are more deserving to some of our players defensive displays of late.

I actually think Jamie Reid has all the ingredients to become a top player. That's right - I said it - top player!

He may not be the finished article, but time is still on his side, he is big, athletic, has speed of pace. His new contract may help boost his confidence and if he and management can work on his decision making and play him in a position more suited to his style 'just behind the front two', I see the potential in him. If they keep him out on the flank I am afraid he will just end up as another a.k.a. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), has all the talent but is played completely out of position.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I would stick him up front - we need someone with a bit more movement
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

I knew Jamie Reid would score today!!! When I started this thread I just thought that he hasn't really shown what he can do. As other posters have commented he is, maybe, playing out of position? Obviously Gary Owers sees something in him and I have to agree that he is industrious but often 'head down' with no final product.
I live in Exeter and the City fans I know used to rate him quite highly so I do hope he progresses from here now with a contract signed and maybe with some stability he can be good for us?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Its just as well we did sign Reid because if we hadn't and with him now hitting form I could have seen Exeter taking him back especially now they seem to have hit a rut.
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

Delighted by Jamie Reid’s response to my challenge. He now needs to continue in the same vein
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

DWB wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 17:58I knew Jamie Reid would score today!!! When I started this thread I just thought that he hasn't really shown what he can do. As other posters have commented he is, maybe, playing out of position? Obviously Gary Owers sees something in him and I have to agree that he is industrious but often 'head down' with no final product.
I've gone on record and said he is no striker; but the role in which Owers plays him is a slightly withdrawn one in the manner in which Wayne Rooney excelled for England. This takes advantage of his running style, graduated acceleration over distance and stamina and as last nigh showed; the boy can shoot!

I watched him with interest and closely last night; his work rate is phenomenal and his adherence to instruction from the technical are is exemplary. If he brings 'good on the training ground' to all that then he'll be a shoe-in to be first choice in the attack all season!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Caldwellanddobson wrote: 25 Oct 2017, 08:47 Delighted by Jamie Reid’s response to my challenge. He now needs to continue in the same vein
I think the credit belongs to Gary owers. Although I'm sure Jamie would like to thank you personally for your words of encouragement.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

2 goals in the last 2 games, 4 points bagged.
Great start to his Torquay career, shame it has taken a contract for him to shine or is this just a fluke.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Not a fluke, just playing him in the position that suits him, ie. not on the left wing
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

No I don't think its a fluke. I think its a case of Owers identifying the player's strength and weaknesses and deploying him accordingly. The contract may however given Reid a boost because it showed the manager had confidence in him after many fans, unfairly in my opinion, seemed to pick him out for abuse despite there being plenty of other crap in our side.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Owers set up of 3-4-1-2 is a classic Argentina formation allowing Reid to be a playmaker or as the Argentinean's say 'the enganche', a player who operates behind the front two, who requires an adequate eye for goal, as well as being given more licence to roam and able to drift to the right, or left hand side. Prime examples being Diego Maradona and Lionel Messi . Not that I am saying Reid is in their mould. but the role is one that certainly suits Reid rather than playing a wasted flankers role for the whole match.

Expect many more goals from him if this formation remains.
JREID17

Post by JREID17 »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 10:57 I would like to have seen Gray in action more - showed promise in pre-season (though I acknowledge against weak opposition).

Hopefully he’ll bang them in for fun at York and get given an opportunity back here.

I think as others have a alluded to the Reid situation is a tactical one to free up another loan spot, he must be a relatively cheap signing as it would have been just as ray to let him go
“relatively cheap signing” :lol:
Last edited by JREID17 on 28 Oct 2017, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Just coz you had a few good games, you dont have to get cocky Jamie
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).