FC Halifax Town v Torquay United, Match Day Thread, 21st October 2017

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

A deserved draw in dreadful conditions against very poor opposition. It astounds me how low the standard is in the division.

Setting up with a back 3 seemed wise, and all of the central defenders acquitted themselves well. I've heard iffy reports about Efete, but I was impressed (bar the dreadful loss of possession at the end). He was possibly my MOTM. In the last 15mins, we looked vulnerable to any ball into the box, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with the swirling wind and driving rain. Davis and Higgins provided a decent outlet on the wings, and the former should've scored early in the second half.

Goalscoring is a clear issue for us. On an increasingly slick pitch, we should've utitlised positions created through tidy passing and shot. Instead, we frequently took another touch or played another pass. That said, Murphy's contribution was more than handy - he was a pivot for attacks and has a footballing brain. McQuoid showed the briefest glimpses of quality (I thought he dived) and Reid, well...Reid scored!!

Onto the midfield, where I thought we looked neat in possession and switching the play. However, Evans' touch was pretty appalling and Young chased shadows due to a lack of pace. His corners - besides the one that counts most - were largely terrible. In any other conditions, surely Dowling would've come on.

Another point, off the bottom, but we look far from a side about to storm up the table. We're lucky the teams around us are so inept. A point here and there might inch us up the table, but work still needs to be done in recruiting a goalscorer.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Danny Raachi on Radio Devon reckoned Davis was our best player. He also felt,not having seen a Torquay game since last season, that there has been a huge improvement especially those players who he had previously seen under different management.
The better side didn't win today but on to Tuesday at Ebbsfleet.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Jeff wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 17:44 A decent point I guess.

But what concerns me at the moment is that we are behind on our target to make 50 points. We had to make 1.3 points per game (mid-table form), but by my reckoning GO has had 6 games and has garnered 5 points. So we now need to win 2 and draw 1 of our next 3 just to keep on target, let alone do anything more than a last day escape act.

It’s all well and good thinking “we’ve got time to get out of this” but time is ticking and we aren’t making that much progress in terms of results.

Either way, I’m looking forward to Ebbsfleet and seeing how we fare there
Never understood this notion. Football simply doesn't work like this, few teams go through the season accumulating points at a steady rate "on course" for their target. As long as we are in touch with the team fifth from bottom (currently only 5 points behind) then we are in with a shout.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

:lol: :lol:
Last edited by Dutchgull on 21 Oct 2017, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 19:11 Not like you've given them enough opportunities to win on your birthday old fella :-D
Thanks Dave !! :lol: :lol:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

marvellous isn't it?
a grey, rainy and windy day in West Yorkshire...
here we are then with a 3-5-2 set up would it work?
well, yes it did.... it would have been an absolute travesty if we hadn't got a least a point today.
a good performance, just lacking a striker to put the ball in the net. by far the better team today. to say that Halifax are up the league shows that there isn't much about this league.
shocking officials again - missed a handball by their keeper and a possible pen to us. the lino on our side missed these and you just knew that he'd give a wrong decision.... cue their goal.... a free kick - our defence played a high line and there were at least four Halifax players offside, but typical of our luck no flag and we're 1-0 down...
credit to the players, kept playing in awful conditions in the rain and wind - and plus the officials still....
corner to us....young finally gets one right, a flick on, comes back off the far post, falls to Reid (who had a good game) and he spanked it home! :clap:
nothing less than the team deserved.... could have won it in the last 10 but could have lost it too....
onwards and hopefully upwards...
good to see that Gowling came over to the fans at the end and was thanking us for attending.....
nice to meet westyorkshiregull and lucy6lucy......
a good turn out - probably around 150 TUFC fans....
well done one and all.

Up the Gulls.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 20:01 marvellous isn't it?
a grey, rainy and windy day in West Yorkshire...
here we are then with a 3-5-2 set up would it work?
well, yes it did.... it would have been an absolute travesty if we hadn't got a least a point today.
a good performance, just lacking a striker to put the ball in the net. by far the better team today. to say that Halifax are up the league shows that there isn't much about this league.
shocking officials again - missed a handball by their keeper and a possible pen to us. the lino on our side missed these and you just knew that he'd give a wrong decision.... cue their goal.... a free kick - our defence played a high line and there were at least four Halifax players offside, but typical of our luck no flag and we're 1-0 down...
credit to the players, kept playing in awful conditions in the rain and wind - and plus the officials still....
corner to us....young finally gets one right, a flick on, comes back off the far post, falls to Reid (who had a good game) and he spanked it home! :clap:
nothing less than the team deserved.... could have won it in the last 10 but could have lost it too....
onwards and hopefully upwards...
good to see that Gowling came over to the fans at the end and was thanking us for attending.....
nice to meet westyorkshiregull and lucy6lucy......
a good turn out - probably around 150 TUFC fans....
well done one and all.

Up the Gulls.
Pretty on the nail there SNW with your assessment of the match. The second half was played in atrocious conditions, so massive credit to the players passing the ball rather than hoof it and the officials where absolutely dreadful, Worst I have seen for many a year. Good to catch up, see you at FC flyde :)
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

tufc si wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 15:54 Is handling by the keeper outside the box a straight red? If so, the ref has missed that, and an apparent penno for us too, standard. When your luck is out, it's really out.

Second half we are against the wind so they'll definitely beat us, I'm certain of that. My confidence in us is that low at the minute I just know that's how it's going to pan out.
The linesman on that side had a mare all game, he was an embarrassment. The keeper should have gone. But when you have officials we had today, you have to make your own luck.
Lucy
Scouse Shayman
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Scouse Shayman »

Town fan in peace
I could not make the match today due to work, but, after listening on the radio, reports from my friends at the match and comments on our forum it seems you were the much better team . One friend stressed that if you had somebody who could put away the chances 3 points were yours for the taking. I wish you well for the season and hope you sort your "ownership problems" soon. My hotel is already booked for April so may be able to have a "brown falling down water" with some of you then. Again good luck for the rest of the season
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Danny Racchi ... who knows his stuff in my opinion alluded to the fact that we had the better players and system. He also said that in the final third we just lose our heads with no idea on what we are doing.
If this was the first game of the season I wouldn't be too disappointed but it wasn't , and I am.
We've got no chance if we cant turn over Halifax who are NLN fodder at best.
That will have done nothing to boost confidence given the situation we are in.
A point is not worth getting out of bed for......we need 7 from 9 points in our next three games or we are not coming back from this.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Forest gull »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 21:32 Danny Racchi ... who knows his stuff in my opinion alluded to the fact that we had the better players and system. He also said that in the final third we just lose our heads with no idea on what we are doing.
If this was the first game of the season I wouldn't be too disappointed but it wasn't , and I am.
We've got no chance if we cant turn over Halifax who are NLN fodder at best.
That will have done nothing to boost confidence given the situation we are in.
A point is not worth getting out of bed for......we need 7 from 9 points in our next three games or we are not coming back from this.
:red:

We only have to finish 5th bottom. And we will.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Forest gull wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 21:36 :red:

We only have to finish 5th bottom. And we will.

You know you are right !
I don't know what came over me . I seem to be looking at this purely from a footballing point of view and ignoring the obvious.
That being we do this every year and somehow manage to pull it off.
To finish 5th from bottom we need to pick up proper points and not Tesco club card points or in the world of fantasy Hogwarts house points.
All I am saying is that we need points on the board in a dramatic fashion ASA bloody P......
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Obviously we need wins but if we do get two or three then the target will increase quite dramatically.

The league is very average - our squad is looking far stronger. We appear to need another striker though. Its not beyond the realms of possibility that we can get a win or two.
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

Not a lot to add from what’s been said. Thought we played well and certainly didn’t deserve to lose.

Really impressed with Davis and Efete. If the latter finds a bit more confidence he could become a very good centre half. Higgins was excellent too.

If I’m honest about the non-penalty, I thought Evans went down far too easy. Need to see it again but seemed the ball had just got away from him and he decided to see if he could save it by winning a penalty.

Also hope the “handball” from their keeper is in the highlights because I’m keen to see it again. Certainly looked like he’d left his area. Wouldn’t have been a red though, as some are saying.

The biggest positive is how we reacted to going one down. How many times, particularly in the past few years, have we just crumbled after going behind?

PS. If you are the gentleman spitting feathers that Rhys Murphy didn’t come over at full time and applaud the fans, he was literally the first player to do so.

PPS. If you’re the gentleman who called their No. 11 a “f****t” because he was wearing orange boots, there’s a reason no one laughed and the groans were out of pity.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

apgull wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 23:02 Not a lot to add from what’s been said. Thought we played well and certainly didn’t deserve to lose.

Really impressed with Davis and Efete. If the latter finds a bit more confidence he could become a very good centre half. Higgins was excellent too.

If I’m honest about the non-penalty, I thought Evans went down far too easy. Need to see it again but seemed the ball had just got away from him and he decided to see if he could save it by winning a penalty.

Also hope the “handball” from their keeper is in the highlights because I’m keen to see it again. Certainly looked like he’d left his area. Wouldn’t have been a red though, as some are saying.

The biggest positive is how we reacted to going one down. How many times, particularly in the past few years, have we just crumbled after going behind?

[highlight=yellow]PS. If you are the gentleman spitting feathers that Rhys Murphy didn’t come over at full time and applaud the fans, he was literally the first player to do so[/highlight].

[highlight=yellow]PPS. If you’re the gentleman who called their No. 11 a “f****t” because he was wearing orange boots, there’s a reason no one laughed and the groans were out of pity.[/highlight]
lighten up pal.
i dont know who was moaning about murphy.
and you must have been deaf.
boots shouldn't be orange.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468