James Gray &Jamie Reid

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

James Gray &Jamie Reid

Post by DWB »

James Gray goes on loan to York City and Jamie Reid signs a contract. I think, personally, this is the wrong way round? Hopefully it is a way that Gary Owers can get other players in though by reducing the loans commitment.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Nails / coffin!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

The management see something that many dont with Reid, you could argue he's played in the wrong position, personally i dont know whether to laugh or cry!!
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

To make room, they must have asked all the others loanees to sign a permanent deal and they all said "on your bike". Except the one we didn't want.

If this fills him with the confidence to score 10 this season, well, I'll eat my chuddies.
TUST member 200 ;-)
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Is it possible that there is method in the madness of it. If we had agreed to a set loan period with ..those who shall not be named... then by signing him for that period with the option of extention etc would free up another loan spot. If thats not the thinking then they really do have an eye for talent .................. i will get my coat....,
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

I have looking up the meaning of striker - it would appear to suggest they score goals, time will tell. Joking aside from what I've seen Jamie Reid plays better when on the side of the pitch of the management team, with Martin Kuhl shouting orders at him.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Note: the BBC is reporting the deal till the end of the season; the OS, until the end of 2018-19 season.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

Seriously unhappy with this. Management complains our strikers are ineffective and then loans out one who in the limited opportunities he's got has scored two, rather than bench one of his preferred two and secondly puts under contract a bloke who simply isn't good enough in a team that needs positivity.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Gray isn't the answer. Reid signing frees up another loan signing. Seems obvious to me.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

brucie wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 19:19 Gray isn't the answer. Reid signing frees up another loan signing. Seems obvious to me.
I agree with brucie. Gray has scored 2 goals, hardly prolific is it. Reid has more potential when played in the right formation. All this movement highlights the room for additions in the forward line. However, gray is on a 1 month loan deal. Why 1 month
Lucy
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 19:19 Gray isn't the answer. Reid signing frees up another loan signing. Seems obvious to me.
That's how I read the situation.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Not been to many games this season, but Reid at Dagenham looked 100x more effective than Gray at Aldershot. Limited data range admittedly, but can only comment on what I’ve seen.

Reid fits GO’s system, Gray doesn’t. Reid frees up a loan spot, Gray potentially off the wage bill, seems like good sense to me
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

It's always a case of who fits the manager's preferred system and obviously Gray does not; and Reid is NOT a striker per se!

Neither his strike rate, movement on the ball nor around the pitch suggest anything of the sort to me. He looks a classic 'in the hole'/number ten to me; not out on the flanks but in the middle tucked in behind a forward placed striker. The same role in which Wayne Rooney is best optimised.

I'd play him behind Murphy but in front of Young and Dowling with Evans screening a back three of Efete, Gowling & McGinty behind and utilising Higgins and Davis as wingbacks tomorrow with Lee poised to put pressure on Higgins for his shirt when he's proved his fitness. Remember; the table demands that a win is priority!

He's got much more athleticism and strength on the ball than Gray and therefore fits the part far more than the departed squad member who's contract is up on December 31st anyway.
Last edited by merse btpir on 20 Oct 2017, 21:21, edited 3 times in total.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

merse btpir wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 21:11 It's always a case of who fits the manager's preferred system and obviously Gray does not; and Reid is NOT a striker!

Neither his strike rate, movement on the ball nor around the pitch suggest anything of the sort to me. He looks a classic 'in the hole'/number ten to me; not out on the flanks but in the middle tucked in behind a forward placed striker. He's got much more athleticism and strength on the ball than Gray and therefore fits the part far more than the departed squad member who's contract is up on December 31st anyway.
agree Merse.

also if owers decides that reid is not the "one" at least he can now drop him without fear of getting GBH to the ear'ole from the greeks....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

I'm not comparing Reid and Gray for the same role - clearly they don't. The Reid role provides assists and the Gray role scores in simple terms.
I'm arguing against Reid on the payroll/squad.
I'll give you some data Gray spent 707 mins on the pitch for his 2 goals, Murphy has 398 mins for 1 goal and McQuoid 381 mins for 1 goal.
As for GOs strategy, so far since bringing in Murphy and McQuoid and others we've only scored in the one game - vs Maidenhead.