FC Halifax Town v Torquay United, Match Day Thread, 21st October 2017

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

FC Halifax Town v Torquay United, Match Day Thread, 21st October 2017

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Well after defeat in the FA Cup (again) its that time again to concentrate on the league - and we sure need to do that.
A welcome return visit to Halifax, one of my favourite away days. I will of course be joined by the Yorkshire Gulls from all over gods county and of course a "warm" welcome to the Lancashire Gulls being allowed to visit Yorkshire for this occasion. I will be there with BixieupNorth and the Sheffield de-dars again.
A safe trip to those travelling up from Devon and Southern England....Its only a few hours drive.... :-/
If memory serves, we have quite a good recent record at The Shay, so hoping beyond hope that this will continue. the last visit saw us win 3-2 and have Fenwick sent off in the 90th minute. Should have won about 5-2 TBH.....
Also the Halifax fans stole our inflatable fish, but as in true Yorkshire hospitality, it was returned by the stewards.... :)
Will hopefully see my fave Halifax fan Ging, although hes probably 16 now and if I give him abuse on Saturday as I have done on the last three visits, he may wait around after to say hello... :rofl:

Up the Gulls.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Great stuff Chris. I too shall be visiting Halifax next week but only to take the kid to Eureka! as it's half term. 8-] I've heard it's a load of shite and run down but free TESCO clubcard vouchers negate the near £50 entry for us all so can't moan too much which is a first.

Sounds a bit odd but i'd love to go to the Shay. Only been once when i went out with a girl from nearby Hipperholme years back who i met at a holiday park in Filey in the late 90's. Who said romance was dead?
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Red card for Barrow now too! Remarkable achievement if Shaw Lane get into the 1st round of the FA Cup.

They have! Won 2-1. Shit players CAN achieve things if they put their minds to it see. :bow:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Yorkieandy wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 16:52 Red card for Barrow now too! Remarkable achievement if Shaw Lane get into the 1st round of the FA Cup.

They have! Won 2-1. Shit players CAN achieve things if they put their minds to it see. :bow:
b*llocks andy I forgot they were playing. :@

there actually not that sh1t... got some ex-pros in the team and I think are 2nd in the Northern Premier.
great result from a team owned by a guy that runs a (very good) plumbing firm - they were known as Shaw Lane Aquaforce and they are now the premium non-league team in Barnsley having overtaken, due to the ability to pay players - mine (and Geoff Horsfield's) old team Athersley Recreation.
In fact Shaw Lane as they are now, share Sheerien Park which is Athersley's ground.
and another bonus, it will shut up that guy who supports the Cumbrians... he probably predicted a 1-1 draw.... :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Athersley Rec. Now there's a blast from the past.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Shaw Lane are hated in the Northern Premier League. Like many teams suddenly experiencing an enormous boost in finance, success has gone to their heads.At The Turnbull Ground a few weeks ago they cynically 'arranged' for one of our midfielders to be sent off (in the second minute!) and then spent the rest of the match moaning and groaning at the ref (the players) and spouting foul language (the coaching staff). They are equally hated in the National League North, especially by Blyth Spartans who experienced outrageous time-wasting tactics and then a last second (96 minute) winning goal to dump Blyth out of the FA Cup. Normal attendances at the Shaw Lane (they tried to change their name to Barnsley United, but were rejected by authority) are around 160. They will go the way of Gretna, Rushden and Diamnonds and the free-falling North Ferriby United. Meanwhile they have be endured.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

They are joint top of the league Wivel. They beat the mighty Gladiators at Matlock Town last month 1-0 but it wasn't as disappointing result as when Whitby came to Causeway Lane earlier on the season and nicked a last minute winner.

I wish Shaw Lane had kept the suffix 'aquaforce' though. What a great name for a footy team - SHAW LANE AQUAFORCE! Almost as catchy as PRESCOT CABLES.

Moaning and groaning and spouting foul language you say? Yep, deffo from Barnsley then. :lol:
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 16 Oct 2017, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

wivelgull wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 09:52 Shaw Lane are hated in the Northern Premier League. Like many teams suddenly experiencing an enormous boost in finance, success has gone to their heads.At The Turnbull Ground a few weeks ago they cynically 'arranged' for one of our midfielders to be sent off (in the second minute!) and then spent the rest of the match moaning and groaning at the ref (the players) and spouting foul language (the coaching staff). They are equally hated in the National League North, especially by Blyth Spartans who experienced outrageous time-wasting tactics and then a last second (96 minute) winning goal to dump Blyth out of the FA Cup. Normal attendances at the Shaw Lane (they tried to change their name to Barnsley United, but were rejected by authority) are around 160. They will go the way of Gretna, Rushden and Diamnonds and the free-falling North Ferriby United. Meanwhile they have be endured.
they maybe hated, but their rise from a pretty average Barnsley Saturday League team to where they are now has been done by a solid financial plan - something TUFC could learn from.
I think you're wrong about their demise and they don't play at Shaw Lane anymore - as I pointed out they play at Sheerien Park.
Anyway, we digress from the match day thread - so lets get back on topic to Halifax on Saturday..................

TUST Member 468

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Yes back onto the Shaymen. Fortunately Tom Denton will be out for them after being sent off at Boreham Wood in their previous game. He's the danger man although i'd never thought i'd be saying that about someone who played for Worksop Town.

Big miss because he knows where the net is and his goal record at non league level is impressive. No need to worry now though. Got some good results this season have Halifax but i think it's a game that the Gulls can get something from so long as the ref blows for full time 10 minutes early.

It's been 9 years since they were formed and they now find themselves streets ahead of Torquay in terms of a solid and stable future. Just think about the contrast, 9 years ago FC Halifax Town did not exist and Torquay were contesting play off finals and semi's. Where will TUFC be in another 9 years i wonder? :Oops:

Still, enjoy the game folks! COYY!!
nwyellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by nwyellow »

bit light on predictions this thread, so

Halifax Town (1) 2
Torquay United (0) 0

regrettably that is as good as I think I can hope for..
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Yes, I'll go along with that. Thus:

Halifax Town (1) 2
Torquay United (0) 0

Att: 998.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

we always score when i go!! i've seen six tufc goals in my two games, a battling 1-1 draw for me!

pump room and victorian craft beer cafe are our destinations right off the train, imagine we'll be in the three pigeons by two at the latest tho?
still keeping the faith
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I don't care what anybody else thinks because tomorrow will be our first away victory of the season.
Halifax 0 TUFC 2
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

well I've never seen us lose at Halifax - so fingers crossed that continues......
the usual hearts in mouths 2-1 victory for me!

COYY!

TUST Member 468

Scouse Shayman
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Scouse Shayman »

Town fan in peace for bixieupnorth
Just so you do not have a wasted trip the Pump room is now closed. If you would like another pub near the station i would recommend The Ring o Bells. Just turn right out of the railway station and it is approx 100 yards on the left. It's my first port of call when I arrive from Liverpool.