Fa Cup 4th qualifying round Aldershot v Torquay 14/10/17

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Agree tomo. The club is effectively dead yet obviously it still exists but if i may use an analogy to explain where i'm coming from and i apologize in advance because it might be considered inappropriate to some but it's not meant to be.

You are 65 years old and your wife of 70 is in a care home with severe dementia. She is there every day existing as a shell of the woman you once knew but she doesn't know who you are or care who you are anymore. You go and visit but ultimately there is nothing you can do to make things better. It's just a case of going through the motions until the inevitable happens. Even though your wife is still alive and in the care of others you have to come to terms with and accept the fact that you have to move on down a different path now. Even though it's sad and heartbreaking when this realization sets in. It is the only way you can stop living in the past and living in false hope.

IMO, Torquay fans are simply helping to pay for the 'palliative care' of the club to the 'carer' Mr Osborne but there is no real hope of it surviving long term. Accept this and move on. Either form a new club, go and support another local club or whatever or just don't go to any footy at all. All three are ways to move forward. Continuing to attend doesn't seem to be helping anyone based on evidence from the last 5 or 6 years although that loyalty inside tricks you into thinking it's the right thing to do. The right thing to do often isn't the easiest thing to do. Is the easiest thing to do perhaps to keep trotting off to games hoping whilst maybe the hardest is to acknowledge there is a terminal problem and take steps to move on, however unpopular this may be with others. It could be simply routine or habit or a deep guilt that lies there nagging you if you don't turn up. You could argue that it's a piece of piss to just stop going. It's easier to just stop going than get yourself ready, travel to the match, watch another dire defeat and then go again next game yes? In terms of effort then yes it's easier but in terms of wrestling with what you believe is the right thing to do then staying away is just as difficult as to continue attending.

I just keep coming back to clubs who have reformed and whilst they are lower down the pyramid than Torquay, they have come through adversity and are thriving. Scarborough had over 2,000 yesterday for their cup game with Hyde, have a compact new ground, are signing a host of ex league players and are still on the up. Hereford. Look at them as tomo points out. Winning all the time and progressing. Real hope and excitement. There are others. Torquay are like a knackered old greyhound. Tired, used and abused, washed up and seeing out the rest of their days in a dogs home. Maybe the reason why GI like to demolish dog tracks without replacing them. :}

Their dedication to animal welfare is appreciated. :}

Sarcasm aside. Knocking down greyhound tracks and not building new ones doesn't change my dislike of Osborne much but only 99% of me dislikes him now. That 1% shows me that he does indeed have a heart and cares about doing the right thing. Maybe Torquay will be ok after all? :)
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 15 Oct 2017, 17:51, edited 3 times in total.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Just to clarify, i'm not saying that having a loved one in a nursing home with dementia compares to how one feels about a football club because whilst they are both emotive, clearly one is by some considerable distance more important than the other. I was just trying to use that analogy as an example to explain how i see the football club now with my eyes and have or had no intention of offending anyone, especially anyone who may be going through or has gone through similar circumstances.