Fa Cup 4th qualifying round Aldershot v Torquay 14/10/17

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Fa Cup 4th qualifying round Aldershot v Torquay 14/10/17

Post by lucy6lucy »

After the disappointing result against Dover, We have at least got 2 weeks to prioritise our next league match. So will the FA cup reinvigorate this wounded team? Possibly one the worst draws possible in my opinion. It's not a full gone conclusion that Aldershot will win, but they must be confident. Could a win turn the tides for our season. There is no doubt the league is the priority. I predict a 2-0 win for Aldershot. Incidentally which ADMIN deleted your former member of the months prediction thread, was it 1-1 by the way :na:
Lucy
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I'm with Raynman on this one . . . 1-1. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Not much hope, I'm afraid. Thus:

Aldershot (2) 4
TUFC (0) 1

Att: 2099
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Another early exit from the FA Cup I'm afraid
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

We lost at Aldershot in the league (second match of the season) 3 - 2 by a controversial goalmouth scramble. We might just spring a surprise and get a draw ...... Always look on the bright side !
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Aldershot form dipped lately, United players given warning this week = battling draw for me.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

tomogull wrote: 11 Oct 2017, 23:37 We lost at Aldershot in the league (second match of the season) 3 - 2 by a controversial goalmouth scramble. We might just spring a surprise and get a draw ...... Always look on the bright side !
I was at that game, and that summary is manipulating the truth by quite some stretch!

I'll be in the minority, but I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about the FA Cup this year and will be pleased to get this weekend out of the way. Irrespective of improved performances and stuttering form from them, I don't give us much hope so I just hope we get out of the game with key players intact (that's if the loanees can play?). Sure, the money would be great and so would a potential clash with an old league rival, but I'd rather see us crack on with getting out of the bottom 4
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Jeff wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 06:26 I was at that game, and that summary is manipulating the truth by quite some stretch!
Quite some stretch........had it been a boxing match it would have been stopped!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Jeff wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 06:26 I was at that game, and that summary is manipulating the truth by quite some stretch!

I'll be in the minority, but I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about the FA Cup this year and will be pleased to get this weekend out of the way. Irrespective of improved performances and stuttering form from them, I don't give us much hope so I just hope we get out of the game with key players intact (that's if the loanees can play?). Sure, the money would be great and so would a potential clash with an old league rival, but I'd rather see us crack on with getting out of the bottom 4
Agree Jeff. The best thing that could happen is that owers uses it to experiment with tactics, it would certainly be a more useful opportunity than the Devon bowl match provided.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

It comes to something when (with some justification) people are expressing a preference for yet again failing to even qualify for the First Round of the FA Cup to further damage being done to the club's perilous league position.

A lottery winner's legacy? Hmmph; Owers has walked into a bag of shit dumped by an incompetent predecessor and will have to perform in the manner of a promotion winner just to rescue the situation.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 09:47 Owers has walked into a bag of shit dumped by an incompetent predecessor and will have to perform in the manner of a promotion winner just to rescue the situation.
I think the consistent blame on the predecessor has now run its course and the focus now must be on the present incumbent Gary Ower's who abdicated the Roman throne for a move to Torquay United.

"to rescue the situation" is his job! The club announced on his long awaited appointment that:

"It has been important to us find the individuals...that are key for a club wanting to climb and top the National League. These guys tick all the boxes for us"

Ower's predecessor was not without his faults but did keep us in this league under dire circumstances whereas Owers appointment was designed to take us to the top of the league. Well the clock is ticking so he better get a move on and "perform in the manner of a promotion winner" as that is what he was brought in to do.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

MellowYellow wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 12:27Owers appointment was designed to take us to the top of the league. Well the clock is ticking so he better get a move on and "perform in the manner of a promotion winner" as that is what he was brought in to do.
I would argue that this is exactly what he is engaged in; but until he can eradicate those low standards, the inherited poor achievers and the weak mentality that saw the team once again roll over and die last weekend; then he is only at the start of the road.

Last Tuesday showed what they can achieve and last Saturday showed what they are more than likely to produce when they revert to type. Don't expect a journey to the top of the league with too many of this bunch of miserable losers out there on the pitch ~ to do that would be delusional to the point of believing what you were told about Owers being a lottery winner when he inherited much of that detritus.

Think on this: TWO goals conceded last Saturday when the much vaunted Gowling declined to attempt to get his head to the ball; TWO goals conceded without breaking the opposition's possession of the ball between leaving their goalkeeper and then hitting the back of our net. There is a lack of resolve within this squad that adequately illustrates just why they are at the bottom of the league; the last manager failed to nail it and the current manager still has to nail it and to my way of thinking the best way to nail it is to be brutal and get rid of the serial offenders!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

If we don't beat Aldershot then I think we are relegated.
The (league) pressure is off and we need a reaction from the Dover result. We saw against Maidenhead what the lads can do.
If we can't win this game when the pressure is off and the lads have seen the difference between putting in a performance and not in the last two games then I can't see how we will win another game all season.
2-0 to the mighty Gulls.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 12:58 Last Tuesday showed what they can achieve and last Saturday showed what they are more than likely to produce when they revert to type.
It's much too simple to compare the two games - and yes, I was at both. Maidenhead were poor on the night - probably affected by the long journey down to Devon and the short preparation time before the delayed kick off (although to be fair, they didn't use that as an excuse). Dover on Saturday played very well in my opinion and if they continue to play like that, they will be in the Play Off places at least.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Oh Christ, he's having a go at Gowling now, I dont know whether to laugh or cry
No , he is not the best header of a ball we have ever seen at centre back for Torquay , but makes up for it
in plenty of other areas. I repeat, with Gowling in the side 5 goals conceded in 7 games without Gowling
in the side 23 goals conceded in 8 games