Torquay United v Maidenhead, Match Day Thread 03/10/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Feel like I've won the lottery.............
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

a first half full of composure, determination and doing the basics right

2nd half was a bit of a non event but to be expected, although Maidenhead tired and Luke Young dominated the latter stages

Great game and great win

COYY!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Really good first half we played like a hungry team eager to win every player and yes Jamie Reid as well who worked his socks off
constructively for the side. Maidenhead threw everything they had at us second half but we came out on top in the end. .WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

There was more movement at the set pieces and we looked more professional as everyone worked together.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Fantastic first half display, pressing Maidenhead all over the park, first to every tackle, very header, every cause no matter how lost, chased, personally not to bothered how the second half panned out, think it was important the back line came under some pressure, and had a work out in this game.

To early to say the tide has turned just one game, but the signs that Ower's can sort out the mess left behind by Nicho, are beginning to show through.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Excellent out of the blocks tonight with Maidenhead all but still on the coach.
That said i saw an enthusiastic work ethic , slick passing to feet and end product for much of the first half.
Naturally at 4 nil down they looked to have ago with nothing to lose and predictably the teams camcelled each other out .
A very good win and another good performance, this time with just desserts !
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

First half was one of the best performances we've seen in about 10 years. We had a high tempo, chased them down and looked dangerous from every attack. One became two and then three before it had sunk in, and then the 4th right on half time was the icing on the cake.

The second half was fairly flat, but with the four goal lead that suited us. If they had pulled one back it may have got slightly more nervous but in the end it went quickly and without incident. All of the front 4 got a goal, and the defence got a clean sheet - we're off the mark in style and suddenly the table looks a lot closer. 2 teams right within our sights and two more a few good results away...
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

My second game of the season. I concluded after the first against Boreham Wood (and many games last season) that the problems with our team were with the management and that first half performance has gone a little of the way to vindicate that.

We were setup up so much better than at any point in the recent past. We had a definitive shape that not only allowed us to press in an organised manner, but allowed us many options on the ball and had square pegs in square holes. There was a fluidity in our movement from our forward players and options for the full backs when they receive the ball wide in space - two things we consistently didn’t have under our previous regime. I’m well aware this is one win In one game, but I can only go by the evidence I’ve seen and support Owers and Kuhl going forward.

Gowling, Davis, Young and McQuoid played exceptionally well and deserve to be playing in a side way above where we are currently. Jamie Reid was also fantastic and Murphy showed some nice touches. McGinty and Higgins worried me defensively in the second half but it’s not the time to be dwelling on that and these 11 players need to stay fit and get a run going. COYY
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

The real positive from tonight's result is that we are only 5 points from safety. We are lucky, we have an amazing chance to get out of this mess. The league this season will be close bottom-up and top-bottom.
Lucy
AlsagerGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by AlsagerGull »

I have to share a funny story in relation to last nights game. I was trying to explain to the wife why the game had been delayed by 30 mins and that it would probably disadvantage Maidenhead (i.e. Additional stress from 6 hour journey and lack of preparation etc.) and she simply responded really innocently and genuinely...."I didn't think that Torquay were allowed to kick off until the other team arrived" 😊, I then had this wonderful vision of Owers thinking 'sod it I'll do anything for there points' and actually sending the lads out at at 7:45 and going 4-0 up before Maidenhead had actually got on the pitch 😊. Great result and amazing how we are only 5 points behind after what can only be described as a disastrous start to the season. Obvious thing to say but we really need to build on this Saturday in what is a tricky home game against Dover.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Great intensity and movement - a rare treat. Young had his best game for ages as a result of being pushed further forward and Davis looked a class act. Gowling was immense and reads the game so well.
The work that Owers and Kuhl have put in was very evident and it was so good to watch a team which has been properly set up get their just rewards for some very good, fast , passing football. Dover will be a tough nut to crack and a repeat of that sort of effort will be necessary for our second win of the season but on the evidence of last night we should all go to Plainmoor on Saturday full of confidence.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Wow indeed, what a transformation, congrats to the management team and to the squad. Everyone was involved on the pitch, good passing and intent, actually looking for the ball, a fluid 4-2-3-1 formation which gave the fullbacks licence to drive forward and to press the game, a back four keeping a high line and moving out together to catch forwards offside, terrific movement on set-pieces to pull apart a defence and to create scoring opportunities. Understandably the tempo dropped in the second half with the game won by half-time, but what an evening and what a general boost for us all.
Just unbelievable that we have not seen this style of teamwork and play for years.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

PL21gull wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 08:26......... a fluid 4-2-3-1 formation which gave the fullbacks licence to drive forward and to press the game, a back four keeping a high line and moving out together to catch forwards offside, terrific movement on set-pieces to pull apart a defence and to create scoring opportunities.
Just unbelievable that we have not seen this style of teamwork and play for years.
If you believe some, it was because the owners were being nasty to poor old Kev and the ones before had no money. That stopped him taking a look at what any savvy football minded person could see and deduce that he set his teams up crap, failed to get them to press and have his back four play that high line. :keepie:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Oh dear, what a pathetic retort. 10 games after he's sacked, a handful of players signed on, we get our first win BUT to you and your ridiculous vendetta it is still a tool to beat Nicholson. Unbelievable Jeff!!

Typical of a referees viewpoint I guess....................
Dave

nwyellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by nwyellow »

Only read the reports from last night - obviously ecstatic with 4 goals, clean sheet and 3 points, and yes it does look very much like Owers and Kuhl are getting the players together as a team and to play a type of football that is proving more effective, but lets keep grounded for a little while longer, it's going to take more than one (deserved and long awaited) win.

as a little tongue in cheek comment, although based on what is before us or at least to maybe give some credit where it is due, if you look at the man of the match thread for this game as you would expect the posts are all similar, but have you noticed that other than McQuoid (who wasn't in every post) the players are all those who were at the club under the previous management. No doubt that the new management ~(or head coaching...) team are getting that team to play together and also the players not named may well be allowing them to show themselves more effectively and in a position more suited to their talent and capabilities. Not saying this would have happened if there hadn't been the change, and that the change wasn't for the best for all concerned but if we now concentrate on going forward with what we have we may be playing in the National League next season after all.

COYY
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I think everyone has gotten over the managerial change and accepted it and moved on, all except Merse of course.
Dave