Torquay United v Macclesfield Town, Match Day Thread 23/9/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

8 points from safety, zero wins, -14 goal difference. Not a hope in hell of turning this around - we are already too far gone in my opinion.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Well, all I can say is our best moments came from passing on the deck, even McGinty tried it a few times albeit one glaringly bad unsuccessful one which almost put us in trouble. Still, not as bad and as poor judgementally as the one his mate Anderson made. I have read all the stuff on the forums and seen him myself a few times and I am sorry to say that lad should be dropped indefinitely, give the coaches time to work with him, then if there is no improvement he needs to find another career. I actually felt a bit sorry for him to be fair as you could see he was visibly shaken after the gift he presented to Macclesfield.

As for the rest of them, well poor decision making and lack of thought and composure runs through the team. Jittery and rushing one minute, ponderous and slow the next. Players who should be showing the way and creating for their team just constantly put us under pressure. Does anybody actually want the ball apart from Efete?

As usual most of them looked shattered by the 70th minute. Everythings going to take time to put right but but unfortuately we are running out of it already. Quarter of the season gone, no wins, players unfit, many injuries, new players bedding in, a decent player leaves and we have to keep shit ones. Its not looking good but to be fair I still remain positive, there were moments.

As for the injuries, well to be honest when you look at who is out and looking to return, is there anybody on the list that can come back and make a difference to the team. There is not one player at the club at all to raise the crowd or lift the team is there.

As for the incident when Murphy was put through on goal, its either a professional foul, therefore a free kick and the keeper should have been sent off - or, its a dive and Murphy should have been booked. Yet, there was absolutely nothing!

Nice to see a management team on the sidelines who were trying to help the team with plenty of encouragement, trying to organise,cajoling, bollocking, asking questions of the ref, it was all there. Poor old Martin Kuhl, he just looked so frustrated, watching him on the sidelines trying to get his message accross was some of the best entertainment this afternoon and almost worth the admission alone.

Must admit I felt totally deflated and shitty for an hour after but putting things into perspective I reckon these two guys will pull it out of the fire and we will be okay.

:scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We can't get away from the fact that in the circumstances that is a desperately disappointing result. I know that we cannot expect miracles but I still think that we should have been entitled to expect something from the game against Macclesfield who are bang average.

I am beginning to wonder whether it is too late already and we will need to regroup in the Conference South. A quarter of the season gone already and we havn't managed one win in this appalling league. Its a truly damning statistic.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Let's not fool ourselves - that was a performance from a team destined for relegation.

The new players in from Owers (Mquoid aside) were completely off the pace. McGinty kicks the ball long and straight back to the opponent every time. Reid tried but nothing more than that, Did Murphy actually play? Evans huffed and puffed with zero quality. Williams spent more time arguing with Kuhl than actually playing football. Gray had a haircut but I noticed little else. Young was poor today. Etefe was our best outfield player. I cannot put into words how bad Anderson was. Dorel made two worldy saves and can take great credit from his performance and attitude from his time here so far. Gowling did his job but cannot do the job needed from McGinty and Anderson as well.

For me I would really drop McGinty, put Etefe alongside Gowling and get Davis and Higgins in as fullbacks. I know I have not seen Davis but even if he is 10% fit he is a better option than Anderson.

I think Owers really needs to answer why he let Cole go after today. That sort of decision really makes me concerned. Early days for him I know but that is a inept descion.
Last edited by Richinns on 23 Sep 2017, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 16:55 One word - rubbish

The perfectly good LB leaves during the week

In comes Anderson, donkey all game and gives them the goal

Davis on the bench if he's fit enough to be there he should have come on

And all the happy clappers for Reid the bloke is shite
I could have written this word for word!!! :
:goodpost:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Yellow army!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

When Cole was released torq2u asked:
torq2u wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 08:38 . But we must surely have something better at the club to let him go - don't we?
Well you got your answer today - it was Anderson with all the silky skills of a donkey and the tactical awareness of a goat.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Richinns wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 19:31 I think Owers really needs to answer why he let Cole go after today. That sort of decision really makes me concerned. Early days for him I know but that is a inept descion.
Told to by GI?

Who knows.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Stating the obvious I know but here goes:

Reid on the Left is very poor, not fit to wear the shirt.
Anderson at Leftback is very poor, get rid ASAP
Davis on the bench? Is he an expensive ornament or a football player?

Our Lefthand side has been shit for years and I'm getting very pissed off with so called footballing professionals who have overlooked our Achilles heel season after season!

My years of Popside advice would be to:
GET A **** GRIP AND SORT IT OUT!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Richinns wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 19:31 L

For me I would really drop McGinty, put Etefe alongside Gowling and get Davis and Higgins in as fullbacks. I know I have not seen Davis but even if he is 10% fit he is a better option than Anderson.

I think Owers really needs to answer why he let Cole go after today. That sort of decision really makes me concerned. Early days for him I know but that is a inept descion.
Don't think Etefe is strong enough in the air. Quite poor in the first half, got underneath the ball, either missing it completely or it flew into touch. Improved in the second. Agree about Anderson, no aggression or strength, first job of any defender is win your personal battle.
TUST number 080
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

kevgull wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 21:07 Stating the obvious I know but here goes:

Reid on the Left is very poor, not fit to wear the shirt.
Anderson at Leftback is very poor, get rid ASAP
Davis on the bench? Is he an expensive ornament or a football player?

Our Lefthand side has been shit for years and I'm getting very pissed off with so called footballing professionals who have overlooked our Achilles heel season after season!

My years of Popside advice would be to:
GET A **** GRIP AND SORT IT OUT!
Some fair points i think
For me , yes Reid is poor on the left and Anderson is shot of confidence regardless of ability.
Nicho was far from shit at left back although he lacked pace and was vulnerable when exposed but had composure on the ball and decent attacking qualities . The bonus was his striking of the ball at set pieces and leadership on the pitch.
He was more than decent at conference level for us.
We need a decent central midfielder like Dowling who can make things happen no matter what the situation is in a game.
We need players that fit onto a plan than everyone buys into. We just dont have a plan.
Gambling on youth is more viable for us as a selling club to push us on , so trim the squad and offload the deadwood asap or we will be down well before the season ends.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

It was good to see the injured players training before the game about time we seen them.
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

All I can think of regarding Reid is he must be the best player in training.
Outsider
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Outsider »

Don’t forget, for an average side that you say Macclesfield are, they are only 2 points off top spot, & when they beat Aldershot at home next week could well be top?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Well......expected a bit more than that , we played far better against Chester and Wrexham but played like
what they are - a team of strangers. Dont get this playing centre backs at full back business, understand why he
did it at Barrow, but could have had Cole, if he had kept him and Higgins , Efete did ok but would rather Higgins
there. Didnt rate Murphys work rate but why was he so isolated and Gray so deep. Myrie Williams very poor
at least McQouid looks a different class, hopefully he will start next week and Davis at left back. At least Owers
recognises they are not fit, no sharpness mental or physical