Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

kevgull wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 07:37 I agree with MellowYellow

Read the article, he is willing fore go any ego issues just to get a start in football. He has many friends who are now managers and I am sure they would want to give him a helping hand (loan player) if they were able. This is not as far fetched as it might seem you know.

If Sol has applied and Harrop is completing the process of due diligence as he states then Sol will tick many boxes for a club like ours. Sol will call in many favours from past and present, should he succeed, so will TUFC.
If Sol had applied then surely he would have been at one of our recent matches (if not, why not?). I can't believe someone as famous as him wouldn't have been spotted.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

PhilGull wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 06:42
Because, this is TUFC with Clarke Osbourne and Geoff Harrop in charge. We are in one of the worst locations in the country, bottom of the National League with a small budget. We are a poison chalice, why on earth would any "big name" want to come and manager Torquay United.
Please read the article

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -interview
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Reading 'Think and Grow Rich', one of the most highly regarded books on personal achievement of all time this morning -

Amongst the list of top 30 leadership failings this one stood out to me in the context of what is happening at TUFC...

#13 The lack of a well-defined power of decision - men who SUCCEED reach decisions promptly and change them if at all, very slowly.

Men who FAIL, reach decisions, if at all, very slowly and change them frequently and quickly. Indecision and procrastination are twin brothers. Kill off this pair before they completely 'hog tie you to the treadmill of FAILURE'

Harrop, Osborne and co seem to be demonstrating high doses of this leadership failing - Kevin Nicholson was released nearly 3 weeks ago, it is hideous to leave such a key position open for so long. Perhaps Harrop is struggling to get any time in Osborne's diary with all his other commitments? From the outside it does not look as though a speedy resolution to this problem has been top of any agenda.

SURELY we will see an appointment today?

PS #17 on the leadership failings list also seemed very relevant...'Wrong selection of associates in business' :'(
SatNav
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by SatNav »

danjgregory wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 08:54 Reading 'Think and Grow Rich', one of the most highly regarded books on personal achievement of all time this morning -

Amongst the list of top 30 leadership failings this one stood out to me in the context of what is happening at TUFC...

#13 The lack of a well-defined power of decision - men who SUCCEED reach decisions promptly and change them if at all, very slowly.

Men who FAIL, reach decisions, if at all, very slowly and change them frequently and quickly. Indecision and procrastination are twin brothers. Kill off this pair before they completely 'hog tie you to the treadmill of FAILURE'

Harrop, Osborne and co seem to be demonstrating high doses of this leadership failing - Kevin Nicholson was released nearly 3 weeks ago, it is hideous to leave such a key position open for so long. Perhaps Harrop is struggling to get any time in Osborne's diary with all his other commitments? From the outside it does not look as though a speedy resolution to this problem has been top of any agenda.

SURELY we will see an appointment today?

PS #17 on the leadership failings list also seemed very relevant...'Wrong selection of associates in business' :'(
I'll be surprised if we see an appointment at all this week....
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I don't want to grow rich.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

I've read every post , I've contributed but I feel like a bit of a mug now , 3 weeks nearly and no manager.
Gi being complacent with our club , I do appreciate getting some players in and they sounded encouraging but we still on a wretched run and the longer that continues the more doomed this season will be.

I feel like a total mug for debating this and that and then just nothing.

It's gone past proving me wrong now
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Looking at the latest post on DevonLive, it doesn't look as though an appointment is going to be announced today after all - apparently Harrop still has one more candidate to interview. For Gawd's sake.....
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

budegull1954 wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 11:54 Looking at the latest post on DevonLive, it doesn't look as though an appointment is going to be announced today after all - apparently Harrop still has one more candidate to interview. For Gawd's sake.....
I don't know about "for gawds sake" budegull....FFS would be more appropriate..... :@
its way beyond a joke now.... :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Why rush though? It's not like anyone is going to protest or kick off is it?
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

THEY'LL DO WHAT THEY WANT! THEY'LL DO WHAT THEY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT!

GAMING INTERNATIONAL

THEY'LL DO WHAT THEY WANT!
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

Having seen the weird videos Sol puts on Twitter I wouldn't really want to trust him with a desperately struggling, low-confidence group of players. And as others have said, now's not the time to take a risk on a completely untried manager - get someone in who has experience in this sort of situation and then reassess if we stay up.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Can't believe we are still discussing it , I could understand if mid table and perhaps picking up win every game or so , having a bit luxury while the ship is steady. Not while we are rock bottom and seemingly heading towards oblivion.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I agree: that old anomaly of not putting an 'L plate' manager behind the wheel of a vehicle rocking on the clifftop precipice springs to mind again. we have too much history of going down that road to make the same mistake again surely!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

DTUFC wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 13:21 Having seen the weird videos Sol puts on Twitter I wouldn't really want to trust him with a desperately struggling, low-confidence group of players. And as others have said, now's not the time to take a risk on a completely untried manager - get someone in who has experience in this sort of situation and then reassess if we stay up.
See what you mean - what does this guy know about football anyways!

View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

John Barnes was a football legend too... awful manager though, the two dont necessary go hand in hand.

He has football knowledge granted but no managerial experience, limited/no knowledge of our league and no experience on working with a low/non existent budget. Couple that with the mans obvious ego and general attitude and for me his appointment would be exactly the opposite to what we need.