Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Ronnie seemed nailed on, BUT perhaps he has seen the shambles and doesn't want to dirty his name... all gone quiet again... thought things might have got more professional but seems even more of a shambles now!
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

all those iriots and you know who you are... funny how Harrop is NOT the manager nor is he going to be...
SomersetStag
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by SomersetStag »

Wouldn't too much Moore with a barge pole
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Ignoring the troll.....I have to ask why we have basically given away the last three games by not being proactive in the decision to dismiss Nicholson? Taking the time to find the right man is all well and good but surely starting from a base of zero preparation in that process is a basic error to be making....
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

Richinns wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 16:47 Ignoring the troll.....I have to ask why we have basically given away the last three games by not being proactive in the decision to dismiss Nicholson? Taking the time to find the right man is all well and good but surely starting from a base of zero preparation in that process is a basic error to be making....
funny how you brand me, yet unable to commit to having a genuine face to face chat... powerful behind a computer screen.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

arrywithanh wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 16:49 funny how you brand me, yet unable to commit to having a genuine face to face chat... powerful behind a computer screen.
Happy to chat face to face....where do you want to meet? Under a bridge?!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

no no keep it clean, boots n laces is fine, I just think it makes more 'ADULT' sense to meet in person, rather than call names on here...
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Any new manager will probably and I say probably have a low remit to just stay in the league, forget mid table or any other fantasy. I guess they will at first look at the squad and think can I coach this lot to stop conceding goals, mmmmmm tall order that.
TUST MEMBER
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Richinns wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 16:47 Ignoring the troll.....I have to ask why we have basically given away the last three games by not being proactive in the decision to dismiss Nicholson? Taking the time to find the right man is all well and good but surely starting from a base of zero preparation in that process is a basic error to be making....
I think GIs lack of experience in, or ignorance of football has led to this. Last season Nicholson sailed very close to the wind in terms of performance and I think a football savvy board may very well have got rid of him in May instead of letting him spend on a new squad. Again a football savvy board sacking Nicholson at the end of last season would also have lined up the replacement whilst Nicholson was still in situ.

Again if a football savvy board had decided to sack their manager less than a month into the season they would/should of already had the replacement lined up.

I know you will disagree with this but I feel GI were hesitant to sack Nicholson at any point in the last six months because they thought he was popular with the support (which he seems to have been, although I personally never rated him as a manager based on last seasons performance). A more football savvy ownership would have discarded fan sentiment and struck when the iron was hot.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 17:02 I think GIs lack of experience in, or ignorance of football has led to this. Last season Nicholson sailed very close to the wind in terms of performance and I think a football savvy board may very well have got rid of him in May instead of letting him spend on a new squad. Again a football savvy board sacking Nicholson at the end of last season would also have lined up the replacement whilst Nicholson was still in situ.

Again if a football savvy board had decided to sack their manager less than a month into the season they would/should of already had the replacement lined up.

I know you will disagree with this but I feel GI were hesitant to sack Nicholson at any point in the last six months because they thought he was popular with the support (which he seems to have been, although I personally never rated him as a manager based on last seasons performance). A more football savvy ownership would have discarded fan sentiment and struck when the iron was hot.
:goodpost:
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Don;'t get upset lads, just look at brucie and I!
Grecian71
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Fred Binney

Post by Grecian71 »

portugull wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 13:14 neal it could be that GI are looking for ownership of a loss making Football Club so they can put a tax loss against a big profit elsewhere.

Sometimes it suits a Company to do this as it mitigates the amount of Corporation Tax they have to pay.

Of course they have to see an upside as well and that is the sale of Plainmoor at a future date.GI are a very long standing Company and you can bet they know what they are doing.

I emphasise this is pure speculation on my part but stranger things have happened in Football.
From a quick look at G.I.s accounts on the Companies House website, in a number of the years up to - but not including - the one ending December 2015, the company (and its parent) managed to avoid paying corporation tax (or only had nominal liabilities) even though it made handsome profits most years. "Utilisation of tax losses" being part of the mix. But not being a qualified accountant, I don't fully understand the mechanisms here.

Then in the year ending December 2015, the company had a tax bill of £49,000.

The accounts for the 2016 year are due to be filed with Companies House by the end of September. Given that their takeover of TUFC took place during the 2016 financial year, you'd expect to see some kind of narrative covering that in the accounts. The accounts for 2015 predicted that the Swindon greyhound stadium would be completed in the winter of 2016, but of course that has failed to happen. Press reports suggest drainage issues.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 17:02 I think GIs lack of experience in, or ignorance of football has led to this. Last season Nicholson sailed very close to the wind in terms of performance and I think a football savvy board may very well have got rid of him in May instead of letting him spend on a new squad. Again a football savvy board sacking Nicholson at the end of last season would also have lined up the replacement whilst Nicholson was still in situ. Again if a football savvy board had decided to sack their manager less than a month into the season they would/should of already had the replacement lined up.
Spot on ~ and for that you can thank the sycophants who were cheer leading for an out of his depth manager and celebrating scraping by and just avoiding relegation as some sort of achievement.

Now we see the legacy of that.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

merse btpir wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 22:39 Spot on ~ and for that you can thank the sycophants who were cheer leading for an out of his depth manager and celebrating scraping by and just avoiding relegation as some sort of achievement.

I agree with you.!

Now we see the legacy of that.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

There may well be something in that. I do wonder whether Gi were actually prepared to accept a relegation last year rather than give Nicholson anymore funds and start afresh this time around.

That Nicholson somehow managed to pull things around and escape at the end of last season probably came as surprise to the owners as well.

Its easy in hindsight to say they should have got rid of him at the end of last season but there is no doubt Nicholson can talk a good game and he has certainly managed to dupe a few people.

I genuinely don't think that GI had any intention of sacking him this early in the season at all but I guess that Harrop quickly realized that Nicholson was a complete con artist and has in effect wasted his entire budget this time around.

If anything it has become even clearer since his dismissal what a pigs ear Nicholson made of things. At last it seems he has gone quiet - no surprise there though - its "his team" and another couple of defeats have shown how bad they really are. Of course he is going to distance himself now.

You can be damn sure if we had beaten Solihull and Woking he would have been back on the tv and radio tomorrow claiming the credit.