Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

with Gowling injured/unfit, surely after recent weeks it is more than just a target man that we need. Lets face it every manager in the league will be hitting us hard down the left side (Chaney) and Yan and Anderson are both below NL standard at CB (Klukowski is below any standard, bad signing by KN).
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

I have no idea whether Paul Cox will be returning or not and if he did whether he might bring Matt Rhead with him, but I don't think the suggestion should be dismissed as "utter bollocks". The reason I say this is that Rhead and Cox have a long history dating back to their Eastwood Town and Mansfield days together. Not only that but I know for a fact that Paul Cox "engineered" Rhead's move from Mansfield to Lincoln two summers ago, effectively acting as his agent. How do I know this? Well Paul Cox told me so at his first TUFC fans forum and he was gutted that he had missed out on bringing him here!

Not only that but, at the beginning of last season there was a lot of speculation that Rhead wanted a move from Lincoln to join up with Cox again at Barrow - so much so that Rhead handed in a transfer request and it looked very likely to happen. But newly appointed Manager Danny Cowley dug his heals in, said that Rhead was very much a part of his team plans and effectively ended Barrow's interest in him by putting a hefty transfer fee on his head ... as we know, it all worked out very well for Cowley, Lincoln and Rhead in the end!

Would they let Rhead go now? You would think not BUT they are cash rich at the moment and under the Cowleys they have some lofty aspirations to go higher still - talk of reaching the Championship - is Rhead the sort of player (at 33) to take them there? I'm not so sure myself. Off the back of their fantastic FA Cup run, their promotion, the sale of Sean Raggott to Norwich for an "undisclosed" fee and the hugely impressive sale of over 6000 season tickets ... they are one of the favourites to go up from League Two this year.

They are in the market for a striker and if successful, you would imagine that that individual might well take Rhead's place in the side - he (Rhead) is the type of striker who you would think needs to be playing on a regular basis to retain sharpness given how bulky he is and so warming a subs bench wouldn't be ideal. I agree he would probably still be a useful asset to a League Two side but for an ambitious one like Lincoln who are setting their sights higher, I'm not so sure. If Rhead does move on, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if he ends up teaming up with Paul Cox again .... wherever that may be!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Lincoln City have been in 'The Championship' (i.e. Division 2) in the past. One of their finest players (and one who appears in their 'all time top players' list) was transferred to them from the then Division 1 team Cardiff City. His name? Tommy Northcott.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Ah, Wivelgull, I've gone off at a tangent, all misty eyed with nostalgia, Tommy and George Northcott, the Callands, the Smiths, the Sandercocks......
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Well the delightful Mr Harrop did say there was scope for an experienced manager AND an assistant or player coach......perhaps at the age of 33 Rhead is looking ahead to future aspirations whilst continuing to play until the days are against him.

It all seems plausible.....
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

CP Gull wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 10:17 I have no idea whether Paul Cox will be returning or not and if he did whether he might bring Matt Rhead with him, but I don't think the suggestion should be dismissed as "utter bollocks". The reason I say this is that Rhead and Cox have a long history dating back to their Eastwood Town and Mansfield days together. Not only that but I know for a fact that Paul Cox "engineered" Rhead's move from Mansfield to Lincoln two summers ago, effectively acting as his agent. How do I know this? Well Paul Cox told me so at his first TUFC fans forum and he was gutted that he had missed out on bringing him here!

Not only that but, at the beginning of last season there was a lot of speculation that Rhead wanted a move from Lincoln to join up with Cox again at Barrow - so much so that Rhead handed in a transfer request and it looked very likely to happen. But newly appointed Manager Danny Cowley dug his heals in, said that Rhead was very much a part of his team plans and effectively ended Barrow's interest in him by putting a hefty transfer fee on his head ... as we know, it all worked out very well for Cowley, Lincoln and Rhead in the end!

Would they let Rhead go now? You would think not BUT they are cash rich at the moment and under the Cowleys they have some lofty aspirations to go higher still - talk of reaching the Championship - is Rhead the sort of player (at 33) to take them there? I'm not so sure myself. Off the back of their fantastic FA Cup run, their promotion, the sale of Sean Raggott to Norwich for an "undisclosed" fee and the hugely impressive sale of over 6000 season tickets ... they are one of the favourites to go up from League Two this year.

They are in the market for a striker and if successful, you would imagine that that individual might well take Rhead's place in the side - he (Rhead) is the type of striker who you would think needs to be playing on a regular basis to retain sharpness given how bulky he is and so warming a subs bench wouldn't be ideal. I agree he would probably still be a useful asset to a League Two side but for an ambitious one like Lincoln who are setting their sights higher, I'm not so sure. If Rhead does move on, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if he ends up teaming up with Paul Cox again .... wherever that may be!

Good post and actually when you break it down it's not impossible ....
Someone once said Tony Boyce said you need 3 things to be a manager ..contacts , contacts and more contacts.
Think merse said that.
Everybody has a time and a purpose when there time is up that purpose can be used elsewhere.
Playoffs and even top is open so still anything is possoble
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Well I take it back, perhaps there is a chance of Rhead coming here, I quite fancy Rhead and Keating up front,
get Gowling and Jordan Lee back, a left back, and a midfielder and things will be looking up
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

desperado wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 11:15 Well I take it back, perhaps there is a chance of Rhead coming here, I quite fancy Rhead and Keating up front,
get Gowling and Jordan Lee back, a left back, and a midfielder and things will be looking up
My first reaction was like yours...but nothing surprises with football anymore. He would fit in very well indeed. With Keating would be very good
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

arrywithanh wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 08:29 You are a total 'door' knob
and you are a "complete" bona fida, totally 100% version of what I said to the cumbrian fella about drying his eyes.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

RJ_Turner
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Post by RJ_Turner »

CP Gull wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 10:17 I have no idea whether Paul Cox will be returning or not and if he did whether he might bring Matt Rhead with him, but I don't think the suggestion should be dismissed as "utter bollocks". The reason I say this is that Rhead and Cox have a long history dating back to their Eastwood Town and Mansfield days together. Not only that but I know for a fact that Paul Cox "engineered" Rhead's move from Mansfield to Lincoln two summers ago, effectively acting as his agent. How do I know this? Well Paul Cox told me so at his first TUFC fans forum and he was gutted that he had missed out on bringing him here!

I have seen Lincoln many times as they are my local team and two strikers have been bought in to replace Rhead and Angol meaning now may be the right time to go for Rhead as I believe a player like him could benefit us alot
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 12:10 and you are a "complete" bona fida, totally 100% version of what I said to the cumbrian fella about drying his eyes.
Jesus, will you two get a room please?

You can cut the sexual tension with a knife.
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

Some good insight here into why Cox resigned: http://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/barrow-a ... 9b095a-ds

Looks like it was frustration at not having new signings (they haven't been able to fill the bench), and possibly also only being told about a director of football being appointed after it had happened.

Not sure how I'd feel about him coming back. He's an experienced manager at this level, which is what we need, so in that regard it would be a better appointment than an ex-player, but another experienced NL manager without previous here would be preferable I think.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 12:10 and you are a "complete" bona fida, totally 100% version of what I said to the cumbrian fella about drying his eyes.
yawn...
Stevie_RitchTea
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Stevie_RitchTea »

I really don't get the whole "no connection with the club" thing that's being emphasised by a few members. I can see why they're saying it and their points are valid - but is it really that important?

One of their reasons for this is that 'any manager that has history with the club, there will be a bandwagon full of people who never liked Cox and will say "I told you so" when it all goes wrong'... This will happen whoever is appointed, whether they have a connection with the club or not. This is a forum of people with varied opinions and most on here will have their preferred options - Yates, Money, Rose, just to name a few. A few will dislike Yates because he failed at Crawley. Some will dislike Money because he's had 2 years out and will take a fair wage leaving less money for players. Even more will dislike Rose because he's never had experience in the National League.

So, whoever is appointed, there will be a group who dislike them. And due to the nature of football, when things go well they will accept the manager, when things go wrong, back onto the bandwagon they go and the 'I told you so's will flow.

There never has and never will be consensus between football fans, but that's part of what makes football football.
TUST Member 405
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Stevie_RitchTea wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 14:47 I really don't get the whole "no connection with the club" thing that's being emphasised by a few members. I can see why they're saying it and their points are valid - but is it really that important?

One of their reasons for this is that 'any manager that has history with the club, there will be a bandwagon full of people who never liked Cox and will say "I told you so" when it all goes wrong'... This will happen whoever is appointed, whether they have a connection with the club or not. This is a forum of people with varied opinions and most on here will have their preferred options - Yates, Money, Rose, just to name a few. A few will dislike Yates because he failed at Crawley. Some will dislike Money because he's had 2 years out and will take a fair wage leaving less money for players. Even more will dislike Rose because he's never had experience in the National League.

So, whoever is appointed, there will be a group who dislike them. And due to the nature of football, when things go well they will accept the manager, when things go wrong, back onto the bandwagon they go and the 'I told you so's will flow.

There never has and never will be consensus between football fans, but that's part of what makes football football.
I think most would agree that we don't require another ex-player.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468