Andy Rowland RIP

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Penlee
Trialist
Trialist

Andy Rowland RIP

Post by Penlee »

Hello all,

I thought I should let you know about Andy's sad passing at the age of 51. I met Andy at University (I am actually an Argyle fan) when he was with Stoke City and he of course progressed to Southampton before signing for The Gulls. You may not be aware but he married a lovely dutch girl and moved to Holland permanently shortly after retiring from pro football when still with Torquay due to injury.

Andy contracted ALS a couple of years ago (it is known as Motor Neurone disease in the UK) and was given three years to live. Throughout his suffering he retained immense dignity and remained determined to work for as long as possible and provide for his family. To his credit he initially worked as a postman in Holland whilst he learned the language (which he really enjoyed) before joining ING and later ABN Amro in senior banking roles over there.

He died on July 20th, and the funeral was a week later in Alkmaar where he lived. A Torquay lad (born in Taunton but moved as a baby), he attended Torquay Grammar and represented England at under eighteen level.

He was a great friend of mine and leaves behind a lovely family. As an ex gull you can all be proud of how he coped with such a horrible illness and how well regarded he was by all his dutch work colleagues.

I hope you don't mind me coming on your site to let you all know, I just thought it was the best way to inform you all.

Rest in peace Rowley.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Lovely tribute to Andy there Penlee. RIP Andy :(
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

timmax
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by timmax »

I rember Andy as I was at Torquay Grammer at the same time. He played in the team that won the English Schools Cup played at Plainmoor back in 1984. Sorry for the loss of your friend.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

A sad loss. and such a tender age. Please send our condolences to his family if you get to see them. He will be missed I am sure. If I remember correctly didn't he come on as a sub for us in the 1991 Wembley playoff final which eventually resulted not only in our promotion but the formation of the Gloucester Gulls. and my continuing support ever since. being not just regular but a season ticket holder and TUFC players sponsor with the Gloucester Gulls after. with Chris and Les. So many memories. it's sad to see our friends pass away as we grow older.
And Penlee. you will always be welcome at Plainmoor. some of your fans supported us when times were hard and we value that.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

If I remember correctly he scored in our first match back in League 1 in 1991 in a 3-1 win against Hartlepool
who also got promoted
So sad at 51, my neighbour has MND , a dreadful disease
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Oh this is awful news. I went to the same primary school as Andy (Sherwell Valley) and he lived not far from me. Really sad.
markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

I was a couple of years ahead of him at both sherwell valley and Torquay boys , really sad news , such a nice guy , condolences to his family
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

:engflag: RIP Andy. Lovely tribute Penlee.
Just realised I knew him too from schooldays.. :engflag:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I recall playing for United; at first we all thought he was the new Robin. God rest his soul.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

very sad news,nice tribute from Penley.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

sad news, peace
Penlee
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Penlee »

Thanks so much for all your comments, they mean a lot to me and I will pass on your thoughts to his wife Marion and the family
Penlee
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Penlee »

Hello Gulls I wish you luck in your predicament and hope young Fletcher helps.

I hope you don't mind me posting Andy's widow's 'just giving' crowdfunding link. Any donation however small will of course be appreciated by her and her's/Andy's children.

Best wishes for the rest of the season

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding ... =5KbWvx4AA

:scarf:
Penlee
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Penlee »

Thanks for the donations, there is a wonderful tribute here on the PFA site

https://thepfa.com/thepfa/latestnews/ar ... -1965-2017
LivermeadRangers
Trialist
Trialist

Post by LivermeadRangers »

Hello everyone, I’m a first time poster. I grew up in Livermead, Torquay but left the area in 1978 when my dad changed jobs. I was promoted to search Andy’s name today seeing the Gulls live on BT Sport. What a lovely tribute from the FA. My brother Chris and I played with Andy at our local club, Livermead Rangers, Chris and Andy were in the same school year. Andy was a very special player, head and shoulders above the rest of us and no surprise that he became a professional footballer. He was brilliant and scored goals for fun. Really lovely guy.We were managed by Bob Baxter, former Brighton and Torquay player. Bob’s sons Keith and Neil were in the team, both excellent players. Very happy memories of Livermead and playing with Andy. Please pass on best wishes to Andy’s family. I am very sorry to hear of his passing. Best wishes, Andy Roper