Aldershot Town vs Torquay United 08.08.17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

Do TUFC produce an official highlights package? I would be interested in seeing that DVD if it could be downloaded to You Tube.

Ray
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

You upload to YouTube or download from it, Ray. Makes a lot of difference how you word it lol
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Hector in response to your post earlier today I think Clarke Osborne has seen the potential at Torquay and he will be very unforgiving if Nicho after 8 games has us in the bottom 4.

I sincerely hope this does not happen but this is a very tough league and if we get injuries to a few key players we could be in trouble quite early on.
Nicho seems to have a habit of making bizarre decisions like leaving out Lathrope and Gosling last night and it makes me question his competence.He talks a good game but his tactics and team selection at times is very hard to fathom.
I do not think Osborne cares a toss what the fans think and if he sees we need an experienced manager Nicho will be toast.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

After even two games plus, more importantly the evidence of the last two seasons, surely the manager is on borrowed time?
But for those who prefer let's wait until 10 matches have been played and see where we are.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Saturdays performance encouraged me to go to Aldershot. I think that we will get more points than last season only because we've got better players.
Nicho has got to get the best out of them and last night although a good performance it was not rocket science to notice where we went wrong.
We had Gowling missing but Anderson came in and a formation change. This played into Shots hands as there was so much space for them to pass the ball. Why Gosling was not on the pitch from the start was a mystery I was disappointed but the players selected did the best they could in that formation with keeper Clarke outstanding, that tells you that Shots were the better side but we could have been a lot better matching their shape.
Clarke looks to be a very good signing. :)
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

nickbrod wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 21:25 After even two games plus, more importantly the evidence of the last two seasons, surely the manager is on borrowed time?
But for those who prefer let's wait until 10 matches have been played and see where we are.
Best really to do what we do best. Have a load of diabolical results against better organised part-time teams. In the New Year be out of all potentially money making cup competitions and bobbing about around the relegation zone. Some call for the manager to go....but many say he should be given time. March and the situation is desparate. 5-10 points adrift and certain to go down. Too late to change manager now so stick with what we got. Suddenly a miraculous recovery and we beat not only teams around us but those near the top away from home. 5000 turn up for the final day last Plainmoor game where a win secures GreatEscape3! 2000 turn out for the open top bus tour from the town hall, The Manager is a hero and secures a 5 year contract.

Next season? Repeat........
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

arcadia wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 21:32 Nicho has got to get the best out of them and last night although a good performance it was not rocket science to notice where we went wrong. We had Gowling missing but Anderson came in and a formation change. This played into Shots hands as there was so much space for them to pass the ball. Why Gosling was not on the pitch from the start was a mystery I was disappointed but the players selected did the best they could in that formation with keeper Clarke outstanding, that tells you that Shots were the better side but we could have been a lot better matching their shape.
That's a damning indictment of Nicholson's shortcomings as a coach let alone a manager that pretty much matches my view on it all yet last night there were the usual suspects kow-towing to him at the end of the game as he came over to the fans for his habitual milking of their sycophancy.

He illustrates his total lack of a grasp of reality with these statements ~ both of which have been proved by TV evidence to be total bollocks.....
"It's hard to do these interviews so soon after games, when emotions are still running high, and there's got to be respect in the game for officials, but it was a clear header from Jamie Reid which no one touched, yet it's been given offside." ~ he doesn't even realise that it was Pittman in an active offside position that got the goal chalked off ~ he doesn't have to have touched the ball to be active and therefore interfering with play!

"Even at 2-1 our 'keeper is completely wiped out for their third goal. Two big decisions have gone against us." Well he clearly wasn't was he! He (Clarke) got the first push in, was left unprotected by a trio of so called big men in McGinty, Anderson and Fallon and you had no-one on the posts anyway. All Rendell did was stand firm (which he did) and Clarke failed to get above him to claim the cross as Okojie came in with a free run and headed it home.

Was anyone detailed to protect the goalie from two very physically adept and dangerously fresh ~ Rendell & Okojie ~ front men; if not, why not and if so why not point that out? And why don't you know the Offside Law and if you do what are your observational powers like? You might get away with your spin with the Jacket Spuds but it doesn't wash with me.

Watch it for yourself if you think I'm wrong:
http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/mat ... /1-2849420

More total bollocks from a bullshitting manager covering his own shortcomings!
Last edited by merse btpir on 09 Aug 2017, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

tomogull wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 23:58 Elsewhere in the National League ....... an underwhelming 0 - 0 draw Barrow v Halifax. Fitzpatrick not in the squad. Is he injured, Ray? Similarly, Dan Sparkes not in D & R squad. Does anyone know if he is injured? LRT mad his debut for Chester tonight. Two for Brett Williams for Bromley ...... yellow cards, that is ! P.2 - yellow cards 2. What a nightmare for managers his is ! Whilst he didn't get on the score card, Josh Rees did.
P.S. Courtney Richards sub again for Macclesfield - unused. No mention of Jared Hodgkiss (also now Macclesfield) ......
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Merse I am a little more tactful but agree with some of your comments.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Having reviewed the highlights our disallowed goal was the correct decision. Pittman is offside and right in the line of vision of the keeper (who wouldn't have saved it anyway) so a bit unlucky. Most times I think it would have stood though.

As for their third goal - that's a blatant foul by Rendell on the keeper. He makes no attempt to go for the ball, has his arm around Clarke. Its just a completely blatant foul. 99 times out of a hundred that would have been given.

We have been seen off with that one
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 17:46 .........or is Lathrope (only 64 minutes on Saturday and with a history of 'sicknotes') another who cannot be utilised Sat-Tue-Sat?

It really makes me suspicious all this; and the more one thinks about it the more fragile the squad looks.
merse btpir wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 17:53 It did; it was in reality just a continuation of that match, it was quite uncanny and those thoughts were in my head even before the half-time whistle had sounded.
When Fallon came on and presented him with a target you could almost see McGinty licking his lips with excitement and sure enough ~ hoof, hoof, hoof......only the immobile Kiwi in front of him never got on the end of one of them! To be honest, I can't even remember Fallon getting a touch and when he came back to defend the corner from which they scored their third he just stood there and picked up no-one!

That decisive 3rd goal. Note Fallon
All valid points. Hoping that Lathrope was only dropped perhaps as a precaution - he was close to being sent off on Saturday so perhaps Nicho felt that a game at his old stomping ground may not be the best idea. I've not heard of any injury for him, but if it is the reason I suggest then it's a weak one.

I was very surprised that McGinty was so well received when he agreed a new deal last year if I'm honest. He is a below-average player at this level, I can't recall a more one-dimensional defender in a Torquay shirt, and considering we had Guy Branston, that's saying something. I fear that with McGinty's style we are never going to become a possession based side which is a shame as we have some players capable of retaining the ball for longer periods.

I do wonder whether Klukowski dropping back alongside Gowling would instil a confidence in the back four, with Young and Lathrope both happy to move the ball around in tight areas. It probably won't happen though!
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Don't quite know where I got that idea from... now, now, time to move on...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

You were in too much of a rush to prove your condemnation of Nicholson and as usual were wide of the mark.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

arcadia wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 23:16 Merse I am a little more tactful but agree with some of your comments.
I have in my possession a copy of a letter from a consultant to my GP in which she describes me as 'this very pleasant gentleman'; so there! o:)
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Plymouth Gull wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 08:38I was very surprised that McGinty was so well received when he agreed a new deal last year if I'm honest. He is a below-average player at this level, I can't recall a more one-dimensional defender in a Torquay shirt, and considering we had Guy Branston, that's saying something. I fear that with McGinty's style we are never going to become a possession based side which is a shame as we have some players capable of retaining the ball for longer periods.
The poor guy looked like he was running through treacle as Fenelon left him for dead before crossing for their second goal. Having said that; 99% of his defending is fine and having played the game at Premier League development level, one would hope that he does have more constructive football in him than he has been displaying playing in the National League.......because he wasn't rated at Aldershot either and seemed not to be Gary Waddock's cup of tea.

Maybe playing under this management he has been either encouraged or allowed to play like he does and maybe if he played under a more technically orientated management he could and would step up to the plate. One thing is for sure; if he wants to get his career moving in the direction that Angus McDonald's did after enduring the same drop in standards after he left Reading then he will have to do so.

I would like to think he has it within him, but what might be pertinent is just what is being demanded of him by management right now. If he is being told to play like that then it is play like that or get dropped. That's how it is in football. If he has the intention within to be a better footballer then he has to seek to better the type of management he plays for; or become belligerent and demand a better standard of football from that management whilst at the same time perform so well they dare not drop him!