Torquay United vs Tranmere Rovers 5.8.17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

good to see forevertufc Dave, martin, who kindly put us up, billy, stace and the rest of the popsiders following a sh*t journey down from sunny Barnsley resulting in arriving with the game 10mins old! :@
anyway, thought the team looked a lot more solid than last season - obviously some good additions.
as for them, a dirty side, niggly fouls arguing with the ref etc. there should have been 3 red cards for them.
thought we played well - could do with someone to stick the ball in the net, but on the whole, the boys did well.
not a bad crowd in either.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

brucie wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 16:25 How an earth is it a point gained. We couldn't beat nine men.

Excuses like "oh Its Tranmere they will win the league" and "they had 9 men for 10 minutes" are just plain daft.

In the circumstances it has to be two points lost - it can't be anything else.
Tranmere will win the league. Yes I see your point. But equally this was a match almost everyone expected us to lose regardless of circumstances. So I stand my ground it's a point we never expected from the fixture. Why all the negativity.
Lucy
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I wasn't there so can't comment fully, but this has to be a point gained regardless of circumstance.

The teams who will fill the bottom 4 places in the league (let's be honest, that's the end of the table we really need to be focussing on) will more than likely get beaten on their own turf by Tranmere, so in that respect it's a point gained.

Yes it's frustrating and disappointing that given the circumstances we were unable to press on and get all 3, but that would have been beyond everyone's expectation at 3pm yesterday afternoon and massively against the footballing worlds prediction
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 16:25 How an earth is it a point gained. We couldn't beat nine men.

Excuses like "oh Its Tranmere they will win the league" and "they had 9 men for 10 minutes" are just plain daft.

In the circumstances it has to be two points lost - it can't be anything else.
brucie wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 23:20 Spirits are dampened as reality sets in once again and another winter of struggle beckons .

Torquay 0

Tranmere 5
Yes, one has to wonder how it could possibly be a point gained.................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 17:40 good to see forevertufc Dave, martin, who kindly put us up, billy, stace and the rest of the popsiders following a sh*t journey down from sunny Barnsley resulting in arriving with the game 10mins old! :@
It was good to see you, of course it was an honour for you to meet with me, and you were wearing blokes cloths again, that was good to see :) one suggestion, dopey, expect the unexpected and leave Barnsley before 9am next time ;-)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Going back to the match, yes it is frustrating, and disappointing our team couldn't capitalise on Tranmere first going down to 10 and then 9 men, to be fair don't think it's got anything to do with who we were playing, how many times do we see at all levels of football the side losing a player going on to get a result, and then a side losing a second player is not always an advantage, as the obvious move is going to see them put 7 players in the final third, shutting down all the space, making it virtually impossible to use the width.

The only thing I think our team could have differently, I don't think I counted one single occasion after Tranmere went down to 9 men, when our team delivered an early ball into the box, my personal opinion it would have been the best tactic to employ against 9 men, yes there would be a lot of defensive players in there, but who knows, we may have got on the end of a lucky rebound, and by getting the ball early and constantly into the oppositions box, could have kept them penned in.

But hey, like the rest, still feel this was a good point.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 18:48 Yes, one has to wonder how it could possibly be a point gained.................
Ho, ho - that's cutting, Dave. Brilliant ! :clap:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 18:51 It was good to see you, of course it was an honour for you to meet with me, and you were wearing blokes cloths again, that was good to see :) one suggestion, dopey, expect the unexpected and leave Barnsley before 9am next time ;-)
an honour??? my ar*e!
and a suggestion for you grumpy.... :) next time try and tell Martin the right day to which we will be arriving. Plank.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Its not as easy as it sounds when everybody is behind the ball and punting it down the field. As I have said
before we had 20 minutes against 8 man Hartlepool once and only just managed to get the winner in a
3-2 win
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 15:25 There was some retribution towards Chaney that was due to come from Tranmere so that this incident happened came as no surprise to me.....Chaney will know what I'm on about as well one or two others on here.

Don't forget when you get gobby with men you have to play the game at a man's level Sam; you can't hide behind facebook forever! ;-)
Merse - that may be as well, but take it from me - that tackle was nothing less than physical assault. However, if as you hint that Sam Chaney has been involved in some kind of social media stupidity, would it be a good idea if you contacted Nico to let him know what has gone on so Nico can have a quiet word in his ear? I know you have been in contact with Nico in the past. Just a thought ..... Sam is still just a young lad and as we know, social media has many pitfalls.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I see two giant legends of the forum have dwarfed each other with complements. :clap:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 22:26 I see two giant legends of the forum have dwarfed each other with complements. :clap:
:rofl:

TUST Member 468

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

tomogull wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 20:59 ........if as you hint that Sam Chaney has been involved in some kind of social media stupidity, would it be a good idea if you contacted Nico to let him know what has gone on so Nico can have a quiet word in his ear?
The management know perfectly all there is to know about Chaney and a few others and what they did ~ they didn't need to or indeed didn't hear about it from me.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

According to tradition, a true Cockney must be born within earshot of St Mary-le Bow Bells. Must be similar in Plimmuff and the Devonport siren.

I was born (and live still) within sight and earshot of Plainmoor and it's Ellacombe End/Popside Roar. :nod:

Couldn't make it t' game on Saturday, was laying concrete in the garden :-/. All the proper gear - mixer/shovel/level and wheelBARROW. <!> Listened t' game on radio though. :-D
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 18:48 Yes, one has to wonder how it could possibly be a point gained.................
Even after game 1 moronic brucie appears! its been a pleasant off season without him!