Torquay vs Bristol city

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
smw1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by smw1989 »

Chaney definitely played LB...
Milner33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Milner33 »

It was good game some great players we have picked up especially Yan, Gosling and JP, they all look superb. James Gray added some aggression when he came on when he came which troubled the Bristol defense. Also, Gosling looked exciting not quite sure why he was playing centrally as he is a winger but I think Nicho is going with a 4312 with wingbacks. So it looks like he will need to bring in a couple of midfielders. In general Keating was my MOTM unlucky not to score a few. COYY
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Score ? Matter of interest ?
smw1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by smw1989 »

It was interesting to see Nicho having a long drawn out conversation with Lee Johnson before the game with Lee pointing out some of the players to Kev whilst they were warming up... wouldn't be surprised if Kev took that Left Winger on loan who played the first half and started the second... great game to watch tho and I was surprised how many headers JP won for a player of his height...
LankyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by LankyGull »

Very tidy display tonight, Chaney has his flaws but I thought for a player who plays generally in central midfield he put a shift in at LB, excited to see Higgins and Davis as our full backs. Gosling is a very very tidy player, glides past players as if they aren't there. Gowling was loud and commanding as you want from a experienced centre half and possible captain?? Luke Young is Luke Young, gives everything for the team, although I do worry if he's going full tilt all game every game we may see another injury similar to those he has already had. A very long first post from myself, I have always been told I like the sound of my own voice!!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Yes Chaney played left back very well and never wasted the ball and was never at full stretch made the job look easy.

Good performance by the team but remember they were playing an under 23 side.
Goose9
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Goose9 »

Obviously the result means next to nothing but overall a I saw a very promising display from a a good group of players.

After an understandable initial shaky start, I thought the team really came together and we looked very dangerous going forward. I particularly enjoyed watching Pittman and Keating play together, two guys with lots of energy and pace and who were constantly creating chances for each other.

I have to say I have much more confidence now than I did this time last year, and i'm sure anyone who was there tonight will be thinking the same thing.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

ok so Chaney played left back. he was or should be midfield. it's out of his comfort zone. and we played a U23 team. but they are3 leagues above us so should still have won comfortably. I am pleased with the way tonight went. will be interesting to see us against Plymouth.
Was overall pleased with the strike force, but wondering what effect putting on Pittman and James Gray up with Keating just in behind or any other permutation. is it worth a look. I don't think it will overcrowd the attack and may well overwhelm the opposition
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Is anyone going to say what the score was ?!! and scorers ?
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

desperado wrote: 12 Jul 2017, 22:47 Is anyone going to say what the score was ?!! and scorers ?
2-0 to us. Trialist James Gray with both
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

A good gate of 1283 watched an entertaining game on an excellent pitch finishing 2-0 to United.

Our new signings:
Ryan Clarke. A Man Mountain. Did not have a lot to do.Looks good.
Ryan Higgins. Excellent debut. Quick, alert,great going forward. Superb anticipation in 15th minute to take a pass and cross with precision.
Josh Gowling.Played alongside McGinty looks a key player.
Yan Klukowski. Very tall commanding player gives height and physical strength to the team.
Jake Gosling. My MOTM. A real playmaker and a brilliant signing.
Jon Paul Pittman. Very good first half until nasty head injury just before half time.Another good signing.
Absolutely top signings by Nicho with no exceptions.
On Trial:
James Gray. Scored both goals the first a penalty. Experienced.
Yemi Odubade. Nearly scored near the end. I have seen him play at Plainmoor for several teams and he seems to score a few every season.
Possible signing plenty of experience at this level.
Well done to Sam Chaney at left back. Did well tonight.
I think we have the makings of a decent side if we could sign a striker as good as Kieffer Moore.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Very good performance although we were quite wasteful in front of goal - we could easily have had 4. In contrast City only had one really close effort and generally looked lightweight in attack. Clearly this was nowhere near their first team set-up. Some of the new signings look very accomplished - Higgins, Klukowski and Gosling were the pick of the bunch for me although Gray impressed amongst the trialists. Will be interesting to see how they play against Argyle when I expect the starting lineup for the Greens to be close to their preferred team for the start of the season.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Thanks to all for the match reports. I remember doing a few after each game and it really helped those away from Torquay, I now know what it feels like! Glad to hear that the friendlies are going well and the lads are getting out there playing.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Is that James Gray aka 'Spider Man'; bitten by a venomous 'suspected false widow spider' and also caught by police three-times over the drink-drive limit, (this bit I like) in the morning whilst on his way to training for Wrexham FC in 2015/16 season. He appears to have moved from one crisis club to another, so now being 25 years old he must be looking for a second chance with a pro club to try and replicate what McDonald and Moore achieved, rather than see his career out as a semi-pro journeyman.

Can one forgive the drink drive conviction - hmmm guess playing for Wrexham would drive anyone to drink :Oops:
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

The goals from tonight's match thanks to Bristol City's Twitter:

https://x.com/bcfctweets/status/885263289671974912