The next General Election: who will you vote for?

General chat about anything else goes here.

The next General Election: who will you vote for?

1. Conservative
77%
2. Green Party
No votes
3. Labour
10%
4. Liberal-Democrats
6%
5. Plaid Cymru
No votes
6. Scottish National Party
No votes
7. United Kingdom Independence Party
4%
8. Other
3%

Total votes: 119

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I was actually accused of promoting extremist views. 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it'. (attributed to Voltaire). That's my philosophy. One obviously not shared by a number of other people, people who would prefer to censor, silence, and shut down the views of those with whom they disagree, particularly those whom they regard as extreme. Forgetting, of course, that if such views are never heard, then we are unlikely to hear the counter-arguments. What is particularly galling is that defenders of free speech are tarred with the same brush as those who hold extreme views, when they defend their right to express them.
'Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.' (C.S.Lewis).

Oh, and these:
Anti-Trump violence: http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/03/0 ... p-protest/
Anti-Brexit violence: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06 ... ed-london/
These are but two examples, found within seconds. Anybody who wants more can do their own research.

And this on fake news from the Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/0 ... grew-2016/
And this: difficult to argue with this one, it's from the Marxist-feminist-Liberal-PC biased BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-39592010
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Latest news:
The Labour Party has promised free holidays in the Caribbean for those aged 18 - 58;
and the LibDems have promised free packets of Pot Noodle for all..
:~D
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Lib Dems don't get my vote that easy. What's their policy on monster munch?
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

So Gullscorer's hero of an American President moves us a step closer to the end of the planet by withdrawing from the Paris agreement. Words actually fail me on how much of a backward step this is for the whole world.

Meanwhile in the UK Theresa May is making her best attempt at screwing up the whole campaign. I genuinely wonder if the election was next month and not this if she'd have successfully managed to erode away the entire majority she will get, which by my estimate is about 75 seats at the moment, although that would rely on a stronger opposition and lets face it that isn't exactly forthcoming.

Also if you want to see something funny take a look at Channel 4 present Mr Murthy taking apart David Davis :lol:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Global warming is nowhere near as bad as it's claimed to be by its adherents, though it could become so. However, global pollution is an immediate and much greater concern. China and the USA are the world's biggest polluters. Trump has been unfairly maligned in many respects by his political opponents and their supporters, but this latest decision of his certainly appears to be a backward step. However, all is not lost. Clean and renewable energy sources such as wind power and energy from the sun are becoming cheaper, and sources such as coal and nuclear energy are becoming less viable commercially. On this particular issue, capitalism may well save Trump from himself.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

So the people have spoken. What they have actually said is beyond me.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 09 Jun 2017, 09:46So the people have spoken. What they have actually said is beyond me.

Thanks to previous Labour (Blair/Brown) and Conservative/Lib-Dem (Cameron/Clegg) governments, the national debt was increasing to an ever greater extent'. The Conservative government led by Theresa May knew they had to deal with this as well as coping with Brexit. A general election must have seemed like a good idea at the time, but the Conservatives began with an ill-thought-out manifesto, and continued with a terrible campaign, which did nothing to win over floating voters. http://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/andr ... ell-earth/

Most UKIP voters, wanting to ensure an easy Brexit, voted Conservative, but this was not enough to counter the general tide of votes.

The Labour Party, on the other hand, more or less promised the earth as usual, without mentioning how it was going to be paid for in view of the mounting national debt. Many Labour voters who were considering changing to Conservative were deceived by this as much as being put off by poorly-presented Conservative manifesto promises. In addition, a large number of youngsters, influenced and indoctrinated by the Marxist-feminist-PC pro-EU teachers embedded in our education system, were voting for the first time. Many of these will grow older and wiser, but this is why so many youngsters and students are on the political left. http://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/tom- ... ted-youth/

As for Nicola Sturgeon and the Scottish Nationalists, their bubble was always bound to burst sometime, and their obsession with independence combined with a crazy adherence to EU membership was their undoing: for example, Scotland's free trade with the rest of the UK far outweighs its free trade with the EU.

So what now? This article perhaps indicates the way ahead for the Conservatives who will have a (albeit much smaller) working majority with the help of the DUP: http://www.breitbart.com/london/ The Conservatives will thereby hope to survive for the next five years (unlikely), or certainly until the Brexit negotiations have finished (or failed). If they fail, in my view we should walk away with no deal; even that would be better than the situation we currently face as an EU member. We should certainly not capitulate to the EU negotiators' belligerent bluff and bluster. My own feeling is that yet another general election is looming, perhaps within the next 12-18 months, possibly sooner. Will Mrs May still be Prime Minister by then?

Feel free to disagree.. :)
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Gullscorer wrote: 09 Jun 2017, 10:56
As for Nicola Sturgeon and the Scottish Nationalists, their bubble was always bound to burst sometime, and their obsession with independence combined with a crazy adherence to EU membership was their undoing: for example, Scotland's free trade with the rest of the UK far outweighs its free trade with the EU.
I am not, and never have been, a Tory supporter, but this is a very bad outcome for the United Kingdom. I should add that I feel strongly about the Union and have always regarded myself as being British rather than English.

On the face of it a good night in Scotland because 60% of the electorate voted for pro-unionist parties. It is a long time until the next Scottish parliamentary elections and one can only hope that anti referendum parties can maintain the momentum up to then, and Sturgeon has had her fingers burnt enough not to try for another referendum in this Scottish parliament.

But there is also a risk to the Union posed by this election. Obviously the Scots need to be convinced that they are stronger with England than without, but they also need to be convinced that the UK as a whole can prosper outside the EU. By messing up her campaign Theresa May has made her job of dealing with Brussels very much harder. The EU probably see her as a lame duck with questionable judgement.

I think it is highly unlikely that May will fight another general election as leader. For credibility the Tories need a new leader but I doubt very much they will call another election in the next year, for one thing I think voters are pissed off enough as it is. That means negotiations with Brussels will be carried out by a government without a popular mandate for at least 12 months and the government could be hampered by opposition parties at Westminster.

I am wary of doing deals with any nationalist party, and the DUP are nationalists of a kind in that they represent an electorate defined by region and ethnic identity, because these parties can exert an influence out of all proportion to their numbers.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I concur with most of that, except for your last paragraph. The DUP are unionists, not nationalists; they want to remain part of the UK. Sinn Fein are nationalists not unionists, except insofar as they want a united Ireland.

My hope, and it's probably a forlorn one, is that everybody in these Islands (including the Republic) off the west coast of Europe will be either united, perhaps in a federation of local nations, or independent as each may wish but united in a local trading bloc, and trading not only with Europe but with the world.

Together, we in these islands can do so much better than the over-sized, anti-democratic and failing EU.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Gullscorer wrote: 09 Jun 2017, 13:11
My hope, and it's probably a forlorn one, is that everybody in these Islands (including the Republic) off the west coast of Europe will be either united, perhaps in a federation of local nations, or independent as each may wish but united in a local trading bloc, and trading not only with Europe but with the world.
Nice thought but like you say a forlorn one. Given that the UK is Ireland's biggest trading partner and as you said England is Scotland's biggest trading partner you would have thought someone would have given it some serious thought.
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by KeithMalone »

UKIP annihilated, NHS saved (albeit in the short term), no elected party better than a bad elected party. This election delivered in droves!

This country needs money invested in education and the NHS. May wasn't going to do that and paid the price, she'll be gone in 6 months, Yvette Cooper's comment of she called a mandate on herself and lost is very apt. FTR I don't want Corbyn because the policies are too radical and not affordable, but I do want a deal with the EU, this position gives a chance of all of these desires and if we never see Paul bulsh1tter racist pig Nuttall ever again then we can all be happy
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Corbyn said he would take us out of the single market and end free movement; I understand this is in his manifesto. No mandate for soft Brexit. Interesting.

Yvette Cooper? Is that awful woman still around?
Walk away with no deal is better than a bad deal, and certainly better than the situation we are currently in as an EU member.
Paul Nuttal? I don't agree with much of what he says, and thankfully he has now resigned as UKIP leader, but please explain exactly how is he a racist. Evidence?
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by KeithMalone »

Gullscorer wrote: 10 Jun 2017, 00:19 Corbyn said he would take us out of the single market and end free movement; I understand this is in his manifesto. No mandate for soft Brexit. Interesting.

Yvette Cooper? Is that awful woman still around?
Walk away with no deal is better than a bad deal, and certainly better than the situation we are currently in as an EU member.
Paul Nuttal? I don't agree with much of what he says, and thankfully he has now resigned as UKIP leader, but please explain exactly how is he a racist. Evidence?
I assumed that Paul Nuttal had put on his website he was a racist, maybe I am mistaken, but then again it is probably an easier mistake to make than to claim you were at Hillsborough when you weren't or that you have education beyond what you have achieved.

Seems Yvette Cooper is more popular than ever gaining 5% more of the vote than the previous election but she can thank your good old friends at UKIP for that.

Here's hoping the £350m/week on the bus materialises for the NHS sometime soon!