Durrell Berry?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Popside 7 gull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Luke Young

Durrell Berry?

Post by Popside 7 gull »

Just wondering if anyone knew how he was getting on, would like to see him back in a yellow shirt
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

My understanding is that his recovery from a broken leg has been far from straight forward and he took the decision to write the rest of this season off after failing in his comeback with Truro. Although his leg is now structurally sound his running action did not quite returned to the way it was.Having returned to FA Rehab Centre at St. George's Park, Burton-on-Trent, he is now on a programme to regain fitness for a proper comeback at the end of the summer. Whether he would return to Torquay is an unknown, but I think Nicho knows what he is capable of it he does make a full recovery so I think the door remains open.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I welcome this thread as I often wonder how Durrell is getting on.

I sincerely hope Durrell is able to resume his career and hope it will be at Torquay United.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

He certainly has unfinished business at Torquay, and both parties should unite
Lucy
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I think Hodgkiss will surely be target number one for right back. I also can't see us having two dedicated right backs in the squad, which probably puts Berry in with the 'wait and see' group of five, only with the additional hurdle of having to prove his fitness. Unless he comes back on trial, non-contract or very reduced terms, I can't see us signing him this summer.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

This poor blokes injury was terrible, I remember seeing the video clip and it made me feel a bit uncomfortable to be fair. Thats the part of the football profession that rarely gets spoke of or seen, when a player could be flying and going well one minute, earning a decent wage and then bang, gone in seconds. All that lonely rehab work and then there is no guarantee you will be the same or even come back at all. Its worse for lower league players as they likely dont get the same support network or first class medical team and facillities the big boys do.

I didnt see Durrell play many times but he seemed quite decent. However, there is no sentiment in football and we have zero wiggle room, it is sad if he cannot get himself back playing properly and to be fair we should not even be contemplating him as a signing until he has shown he is still able. Probably best to keep moving forward instead of keep on looking back.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

I take on board your point of view Chunkygull, much does depends where the club’s at and where the player fits on the list of priority's. However, when Luke Young suffered his lengthy injured I did not hear to much debate on getting rid of him, before his recovery, to get another player. In Berry's case he suffered a long-term injury in the final year of his contract and is subsequently delisted.

The question 'is that morally and ethically right' ? If we wish see ourselves as a family club should we not have some sentiment . Players do get injured whilst committing themselves to the cause (wearing a sacred yellow shirt) and to this end I would have thought it more righteous to support him and work with him to get back sooner rather than later. How can a manger honestly say to players commit yourselves to the tackle but make sure any injury is short term or else your career is over. There is much talk about difficulty in getting players to accept less money to play for Torquay but incentives can overcome that drawback for example like knowing they will be well looked after if they get injured.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

While were on the subject of injury's does anyone know what happening with Aarran Racine the ex FGR captain who was on loan to us till end of season but on his debut had a anterior cruciate ligament injury. His contract with FGR is till 30.06.2018 and yet I do no see his name on FGR retained/released list.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

MellowYellow wrote: 11 May 2017, 00:41 In Berry's case he suffered a long-term injury in the final year of his contract and is subsequently delisted. The question 'is that morally and ethically right' ? If we wish see ourselves as a family club should we not have some sentiment . Players do get injured whilst committing themselves to the cause (wearing a sacred yellow shirt) and to this end I would have thought it more righteous to support him and work with him to get back sooner rather than later.
The big difference between a 'non-league' contract and a Premier/Football League one is precisely this.........different worlds, and different circumstances. Even in the full-time professional game there are different levels of private health care/health insurance and that's why it is so important for players to be fully signed up to the PFA.

I know of another former United player who has been the recipient of their help and assistance in learning a trade whilst out for a similar lengthy period and so now can support himself whilst he continues his long road through rehabilitation.

Being a 'family club' is a misnomer anyway as far as player/employee treatment goes; did United show Martin Ling any 'family care' when he went through his struggles with depression? In any case that aspect of marketing (for that's all it really is surely) can't allow a club to live beyond their means in the way of offering beyond the terms of contract, payment when a player is out of contract.

I am sure that Durell was fully paid whilst his contract remained in force and that once that period had ended he would not have been...........that's not being insensitive, that's how it is.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Tom Cruise was another who suffered with serious injuries which forced him into early retirement. Maybe Tom is the player that Merse is talking about. I spoke to Tom just the other day, he has retrained into another profession and is moving out of the area soon. He did mention that he did complete his coaching courses and may look into that further at a later date. Nice lad good luck to him.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

It wasn't Tom; is he still down in the Bay then?

An Islington lad from a well known local footballing family ~ my younger son played against his uncle's club only last Saturday ~ Tom arrived at Torquay United in the recovery process from a serious medical condition that had wrecked his fledgling career ~ Necrotizing Fasciitis I think it was ~ and Martin Ling offered him the opportunity to attempt to rebuild the momentum he had lost as a result and sign without any pressure being put on him to achieve an immediate first team place as he continued on the road back knowing full well that if he did recover sufficiently then he would have a highly saleable and talented player at his disposal....that he didn't quite make it only serves to underline the long and difficult road he was on.
Last edited by merse btpir on 11 May 2017, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Talking of Islington lads; there are a few from that part of North London who have been at Torquay United: Bayo Akinfenwa, Nathan Abbey and Sam Chaney spring readily to mind; but one who I occasionally bump into who actively works in local schools football is Jim de Garis who came to Plainmoor in 1974 as part of the numerous movements between AFC Bournemouth and the Gulls ~ most of the better players moving out of the English Riviera as we all know!

Jim had been an Arsenal youth product who then signed for the Cherries and after leaving Plainmoor where he struggled to make much of an impact, then signed for Worcester City before studying to be a schoolteacher.

Those who do remember the 'Danny Racchi' lookalike would struggle to recognise him now with his ring of grey hair below a bald dome and no sign of that beard!

Jim de Garis: back row, top right in 1974
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

merse btpir wrote: 11 May 2017, 10:49 It wasn't Tom; is he still down in the Bay then?

An Islington lad from a well known local footballing family ~ my younger son played against his uncle's club only last Saturday ~ Tom arrived at Torquay United in the recovery process from a serious medical condition that had wrecked his fledgling career ~ Necrotizing Fasciitis I think it was ~ and Martin Ling offered him the opportunity to attempt to rebuild the momentum he had lost as a result and sign without any pressure being put on him to achieve an immediate first team place as he continued on the road back knowing full well that if he did recover sufficiently then he would have a highly saleable and talented player at his disposal....that he didn't quite make it only serves to underline the long and difficult road he was on.
He is still down here but its not for much longer(3-4 weeks), he leaves the bay and is returning to London to pursue his new career. I didn't realise how severe his recent knee injury was which sees him retire from a playing career. He has successfully retrained and good luck to him. He's a nice lad and another player whose had his playing career cut short.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Some tough tacklers in that team , Harrison, Stocks, Boulton, Parker.......we would be down to 7 men these days
if they started, some good haircuts too
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

SBP wrote: 11 May 2017, 11:59 http://www.aatcomment.org.uk/from-profe ... ccountant/

This gives an insight into how young footballers can manage their work/rest cycle to their better advantage.

I've just been talking to the mother of an 18 year old released through Brentford closing their academy a year ago about how best he can now balance the need to properly sit his A Levels exams at the very same time that Chelsea have invited him in for a trial explaining that a properly ethical professional football club will make adequate provision for him as they should be for the scholar pros already on their books.

It's a given really ~ considering the qualifications that are arbitrarily demanded and the necessity to have education officers employed within any EPPP academy ~ that this should be so.

Six years ago Tom was being released by Arsenal alongside Craig Eastmond and Roarie Deacon who have had to re-construct their careers whilst fully fit; it's been a whole different ball game for Tom Cruise who is living proof of the need to maximise one's opportunities to continue studying whilst making one's way as a young professional footballer.