Brett Williams, should he stay or should he go ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

portugull wrote: 09 May 2017, 10:35 Just had a look at Brett Williams career to date.

He was at Eastleigh for the best part of 7 years from 2004 to 2011. Southampton Gull must know him well.

2 years at Reading 2011-2013 . The best spell of his career was his 2 years at Aldershot scoring 36 goals in 77 appearances.

He will be 30 in December and I think he will be a big asset next season but he may have to take a pay cut and that I guess, because it is a guess, is the problem. Hope you stay Brett.
I've known him since he was 11 years old, my son and son in law are good friends of his. As far as I'm aware, he has an offer to consider but I'm pretty sure he will find it easy to earn more elsewhere.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Jerry wrote: 09 May 2017, 15:57 He only started 6 games in the league for Forest Green. He played less than 20 minutes in all the other games except one 22 minute appearance (which was at Plainmoor).
Cheers for that, Jerry. :-D
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Nicho is no mug.. If you think a player is likely to leave anyway which bunch would put him in. ? 'Need to have' bunch or 'will think about bunch' . There is little to suggest the guy will or will want to stay. Probably on one of the higher salary; but leans to the SE: Manager thinks he's lazy: the man also moves frequently. Yes he's our main goal-scorer but if he walked away tomorrow we would have to find another one anyway. Categorise wise I thought it wasn't a bad call by Nicholson. It takes the pressure off both of them a bit- the odds of him staying may just be slightly better this way ( but don't go putting bets on it).
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Southampton Gull is rarely wrong and his view that Brett will find it easy to beat the offer he has received from United is exactly how I see it which is unfortunate but just the way of the world.

I think Nicho pushed the boat out to get Williams and had to reduce the terms of a new contract to give him a bit of flexibility in recruiting new players.

In view of the link with Bournemouth lets hope Eddie Howe has a good youngster who would benefit from a season long loan.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Williams took half a season to come good, after an amazing goal v WBA which had our hopes soaring.

Too mercurial for our needs. I'd prefer to gamble on Keating who showed energy, flair and promise in abundance. He's also a crowd puller IMHO.
TUST member 200 ;-)
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Nicho made the mistake last season of letting Harrod go as he was a partner for Blissett. Williams was outstanding with Keating so he would be foolish to let either go as you need to score goals. Blissett looked lost without Harrod. Should we keep Harrod now no!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Williams wasn't on as much as some would think. The offer for this season was reduced slightly which is fair enough all things considered. I would expect someone to be willing to pay a bit more than us though for someone who knows where the net is. That said, I hope he stays and as others have mentioned he'd thrive if we got Keating too.
Dave

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I think we all know now that our budget is not going to produce a successful full time professional club.
Dave

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

If all it takes is a little more money to keep Williams, which surely GI can afford, then what more proof does anyone need that the football club is the least of Clark Osbourne's concerns.
Whilst feeling downbeat about our chances in the coming season, the real concern will be the outcome of the councils decision on the plainmoor freehold; until then I don't see any point in expending too much energy on who is and who is not retained.