Retain List

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I am all for sport for the young that enhances the process of social inclusion; namely, personal development, diversion, social interaction/social
networks for kids from socially deprived area's. Participation is sport is good for psychological well-being, self-esteem, self-confidence
and social skills which in turn can lead to higher educational achievement, employment, and less anti-social behaviour. So for me sport for the young be it football or other sporting activity is a vehicle for social good and to help improve young people’s lives and respect for the communities they live in, rather than a means to an end, viz. becoming a semi/pro footballer.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

lucy6lucy wrote: 08 May 2017, 18:35

The academy shut down in 2015. We signed Charlie duke in 2016 from St. Helens town. So how was he part of our academy?
He was at Torquay prior to going to St Helens, and then came back to sign on as a "pro"

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

If the threelittlepiglets is a club employee which little pig is he? The one who built his house of straw? Or sticks? Both blown down by the big bad wolf (who could that be?) or the one who built his house with bricks?
We should be told!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Lucy; when Charlie Duke was halfway through his two year scholar pro contract the academy was closed down and several of his compatriots left the club. Duke's father insisted they honour their contractual commitment to his son and the club then had issues accommodating him as he was too young to share the Lodge with adult players which is what the club had turned a facility established to house scholar pros into and then they failed to find him suitable lodgings with a family due to his allergies with animals. It was primarily for that reason an arrangement was made for him to return to the family home and play locally (latterly with Saint Helens Town) before signing his first professional contract in April of last year.

This season and being of an age more suitable, he was accommodated in the Lodge, but of course there was still no development football programme at the club and after a few opportunities to sit on the United first team bench so he went on loan to St Austell and then Truro City on December 30th before he returned north to complete the season with Ashton United in March.
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

If Merse's son is good enough to earn a professional playing contract then good for him! If he falls short, hard luck! - either way I bear him no malice, but what has any of this to do with OUR football club. If Mr Merson has an axe to grind or protige to promote, perhaps he might do it on another message board...
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

What's this 'OUR football club'?

Is it yours and not mine, your's and not anyone else's? and 'this' is to do with the denial of two young pro's being released by 'our' football club too late to maximise their chances of remaining in the professional game.

Read the thread and take it in and it becomes obvious ~ another bitter and twisted soul questioning other's right to an opinion!
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

It's Torquay United. The one which once paid you and which I still support. I have no agenda, I'm just bored with reading your posts. That is all.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Don't read them then.......... :)
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 08 May 2017, 21:16 Don't read them then.......... :)
:lol:

I enjoy reading them Merse - they are very insightful
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Without wishing to appear facetious, Merse referred to EFL failures tryouts (or similar). Given that our club is below that level, I fail to see how our ex-players would have qualified anyway.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Well they can:
http://www.lfe.org.uk/apprentice-review ... rials-2014

"Featuring over 240 individual players (aged 18-20) from English Football League, Premier League and Conference clubs"
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Oh, good for them. And they'd have been unable to find this out for themselves would they? So certain that they'd done sufficient that they were assured of another twelve month's employment, they wouldn't have needed to apply for themselves. Does nobody take any responsibility for themselves at all any more? I work in a supermarket. Should my managers start seeking future employment for those checkout operators unable to make the grade during their probationary period? All of them? Really?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Just click on the link and educate yourself
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Sometimes people aren't suited to the role they currently occupy. Sometimes a change of job/career can do them the world of good. I've yet to click on the link though, what would I learn? That post-adolescent athletes were being offered another chance to follow their (and their father's) dreams?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

:bow: In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King!