Brett Williams, should he stay or should he go ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Brett Williams, should he stay or should he go ?

Post by Taelee73 »

I have no idea if he even wants to stay, what salary he was on, or wants, or if he's still at odds with Nicholson.
I only saw him play the last two home games, but it's obvious if he's in the mood over the course of a season, he will score 20 goals for us.
What is the general consensus about him ? Is he worth the baggage ?
It's been mentioned that these forums are monitored by the club, so I'm hoping discussion here can have some tiny influence on the outcome.
Without knowing the ins and outs, I hope he stays.
Lee
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Is the normal characteristic difference you get amongst the individual components in all football squads really 'baggage' or is it something a capable manager can and should be able to assimilate into his squad?

I would suggest the really capable managers of clubs of little resource need this capability as a given.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Hope he stays and the manager manages him !!
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

merse btpir wrote: 08 May 2017, 22:06 Is the normal characteristic difference you get amongst the individual components in all football squads really 'baggage' or is it something a capable manager can and should be able to assimilate into his squad?

I would suggest the really capable managers of clubs of little resource need this capability as a given.
Funny, reading Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiography, he talks about how any individual being a 'problem' and thinking they're bigger than the manager or the club should be shipped out. There is a difference between being a bit different to the rest of the squad and being an issue; I'd suggest that KN has more experience than any of us in this industry and that he'd ergo know the difference better than we do.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Williams should stay. If the manager cannot manage players that he chose, then the manager should go.
Its all very for Alex Ferguson but then MUFC could afford to right off Ferguson's loses. We cannot afford to make a single mistake on the recruitment front.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I would hope to see Williams at Plainmoor next season.

Much is made of KN being hamstrung by lack of resources but here we had a proven goal scorer who really only got into the team because of the departure of Blissett and failure to land Moore. KN only really picked Williams because he didn't have any other choice. Therefore, it undermines the argument that he lacked resources when he had a proven goal scorer that he refused to pick for most of the season under the feeble excuse that Williams 'didn't run around enough'.

How many goals might Williams have scored had he been in the team for the season? How much more comfortable in the table might we have been?
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Why would any club not want a proven goalscorer, especially one who is still on the payroll - remember he told me he's under contract until end of June?
Stay of course!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Any club team is built around the resources available. Managers cannot just impose a favourite system or set of tactics if the players to implement it. In the last portion of the season, injury lay-offs accepted, KN had three quality (at this level) players, Young, Sparkes and Williams, he needed to build the team around them. If Willaims wanted to play here, I would keep him.
TUST number 080
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

He HAS to stay. Simple as that. He and Keating could be a decent partnership for us.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I think Williams will go, all due to his fractured relationship with Nicholson.
So the question should really be 'who do you want to stay, Williams or Nicholson?'.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I'd expect if Williams goes (and I fully expect him to), it'll be because another club makes him a better offer. He clearly has quality (at this level), and he'd improve any team in this division (on the pitch at least).

I have no idea what his attitude around the place is like - but IF he didn't train well, and didn't listen to instruction, it's probably understandable the manager was loathe to use him - despite his obvious ability. If a manager is clearly undermined by an individual, his authority is weakened.

The fact that Nicho hasn't sent him on his way would suggest they might be over whatever issue they had - but that he probably doesn't have the budget to compete for his signature at this point. I'd expect him to be playing and scoring for someone else next season.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Just had a look at Brett Williams career to date.

He was at Eastleigh for the best part of 7 years from 2004 to 2011. Southampton Gull must know him well.

2 years at Reading 2011-2013 . The best spell of his career was his 2 years at Aldershot scoring 36 goals in 77 appearances.

He will be 30 in December and I think he will be a big asset next season but he may have to take a pay cut and that I guess, because it is a guess, is the problem. Hope you stay Brett.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

of course he must stay. its like any job, you wont always like your manager or vice versa, just get on with the job your paid to do.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Ah ..... Brett Williams ! He's an enigma. In the Braintree match, he was having a bliddy awful game until that controversial disallowed goal. He was not winning the ball, his passing was poor and he was giving away silly free kicks. Some standing around me were yelling 'get 'im orf' and i sort of half agreed 'cept there was nobody on the bench to take his place. Then came the disallowed goal, followed by a great goal and he was a different player although I thought overall he played better in the North Ferriby game, even though he didn't score.

Up until about Christmas, it was a standing joke about when Brett would get booked because he was being booked almost every game. As Portugal has pointed out, his record isn't that great. He had two very good seasons at Aldershot but apart from that, his goal return has been poor. In the 2015/16 season playing for Forest Green, he played 23 games and managed just 4 goals (not sure how many of those appearances were as a sub).

However, Nicho tried to play him as a lone target man and that is just not his game. As Jono-gull209 posted, as soon as Keating, with a bit of pace and movement, was brought in to play alongside him, he was a different, and more effective, player. I hope he stays and would have included him in the first group of players. But I suspect he will leave. Whether he goes on and scores freely for someone else (at National Level or above) as Fonda suggests, I'm not so sure.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

tomogull wrote: 09 May 2017, 15:30

In the 2015/16 season playing for Forest Green, he played 23 games and managed just 4 goals (not sure how many of those appearances were as a sub).
He only started 6 games in the league for Forest Green. He played less than 20 minutes in all the other games except one 22 minute appearance (which was at Plainmoor).