Retain lists released. Anyone worth a look at?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Would love Fitzpatrick back. Him and Sparkes on the wings would be fantastic.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Fitzpatrick would be the ideal replacement for Lee on the right mid/wing position!

DO IT NICHO.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

The unfortunate truth is that (as has always been the case), we have to get the players here. It's all very well dangling the opportunity of full-time football in front of players - but if to accept it results in a pay-cut (as well as relocation away from family and friends), it isn't quite as easy as it seems.

A decent-level part-time player, with a second job will likely be earning more than we can afford to give them to go pro. And their chance of being 'spotted' in the flesh Is probably better where they are, than here.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Fonda wrote: 03 May 2017, 15:43 A decent-level part-time player, with a second job will likely be earning more than we can afford to give them to go pro. And their chance of being 'spotted' in the flesh Is probably better where they are, than here.
I know of one part-time player at one of the relegated NL clubs who has been the subject of the manager's enquiries and he requires a minimum £1,000 pw and a two year contract to justify re-locating and going full-time.

He's a guy who graduated from a Premier club's academy yet failed to secure a full-time contract anywhere and then trained as a London cabbie which gives him the freedom of hours to tailor his hours around the demands of part-time football in the National League. These are the sort of players who were running rings around Torquay United's so called full-timers for much of the season; just as well (if not better) prepared and better remunerated.

But don't get excited; because within the budget as it will be; that ain't gonna happen!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

You're both correct of course but with some players the lure of the status of 'Professional Footballer' is what gets their signature. Sometimes good, sometimes bad as we all know.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
jackgladman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by jackgladman »

Thanks to the BBC, my job here is now done.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/39708953
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I see Lee Mansell has been offered the role of Rovers academy coach - I wish him good luck.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Christ, the way people go on you would think nobody south of Bristol ever kicked a football before
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

chunkygull wrote: 04 May 2017, 19:13 Christ, the way people go on you would think nobody south of Bristol ever kicked a football before
:goodpost: Barrow players train in Manchester, and no doubt live in the vicinity of Manchester, travel by coach to barrow on match days. That to me is wrong, there is no community attachment, but in hindsight this is not a good example as who in there right mind would want to live in barrow. Whereas living in the bay, has more of attraction..
Lucy
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

lucy6lucy wrote: 05 May 2017, 00:20 :goodpost: Barrow players train in Manchester, and no doubt live in the vicinity of Manchester, travel by coach to barrow on match days. That to me is wrong, there is no community attachment, but in hindsight this is not a good example as who in there right mind would want to live in barrow. Whereas living in the bay, has more of attraction..
Football has changed though, and if it's something other clubs are doing to their advantage it's something that would have to be considered.

You have to think what would the fans want more - the chance of bumping into one of the players in town, or a successful football team? I think we all know it's the latter that would put numbers on the gate
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Sunderland have apparently been considering basing their players in London to train and only flying in for matches, so even at the top level it is something clubs are considering.
Tired Old Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Smith

Post by Tired Old Gull »

TU players told their fate today!
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

nothing wrong with living in the lake district, I know barrow is a dump but the surrounding area is lovely.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Zippy »

yes it is happening as we speak.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Zippy »

the retained list I meant to say.