THE REAL GREAT ESCAPE, BRYN THE POLICE DOG ETC, 30 YEARS ON. (Has much really changed.)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

I was there in May 1987 and that chap Brian who filmed all the games ; the weeks after I got copy of the game.

I can't be there today as 300 miles and work commitments are too punishing this weekend. But I have paid for my dear dad to go.

If any one is interested not only did I go to the match back in May 1987 but I went to the match the day after that at plainmoor !!! They also played American football back in them days at plainmoor...does anyone else remember that.

I can still remember the heat of that day ' still taste the dust of the pitch and the tears. Boys turned into men that day and not surprised when dear Cyril came in next season and with a few additions we were a hard, tough and awkward team to play against. How we never got promoted that season still plagues me. What might have been.

So let's finish the job today and what with all the off the field problems I'm hoping the nucleas of this
Squad will learn and be bigger and braver next year.

Will we have a Cyril come in next year , so we need it ???
I think nicho has turned it when it's mattered this season. I would stick with him
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I was there then and I am just leaving the house now. COYY!

United!
TUST number 080
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was there; of all my 61 years watching football the Crewe match was the most memorable; the No. 1. moment in football, in fact.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Great accounts guys. Like I said, I can feel and see so many similarities and parallels with today. Lets just hope we get the same sort of outcome.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Well I was there at the end of the popside where the mmmm trouble was. There was quite aggressive chanting between us and Crewe fans. Some police came into our end to stop anyone getting on the pitch. I was near the top of the main aggressive group. I remember a policeman trying to get a guy in front of me to arrest him I guess. It then got heated I pushed the guy in front of me onto the policeman nd this caused several others to fall forward. All this caught on bbc, and my wife saw me and the hooligan element as they described, I did get into some bother. At the time the fans all moved forward the dog incident happened. I was not the only one pushing I must add. Notsure I should be admitting this. One of my pals on here was with me on the day with some others. I will not out him :) . Anyone hot the bbc footage. That youtube clip might show it but im in Tenerife on my mobile so not watching the whole thing today. Anyone else at that end, it was very aggressive and confrontational.

Not something to be proud of, but I was part of it.
TUST MEMBER
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Confession is good for the soul. Even if it did take 30 years. :~D

I remember McNichol being down on the floor but where we were stood near the other end on the grandstand terracing area nobody really had a clue what happened and what was going on.

I remember the injury time though a lot of us had wondered down to the little area next to the mini stand so we were to the side of the goal. We were all ready to go, other results were being shouted and Dobbo turned and scored. Ahhhh memories.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I wonder if 'The General' organised the outbreak of hooligan-ism. I often wonder what became of 'The General'.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

[quote=chunkygull post_id=204864 time=1493460546 user_id=22604]
Confession is good for the soul. Even if it did take 30 years. :~D

I remember McNichol being down on the floor but where we were stood near the other end on the grandstand terracing area nobody really had a clue what happened and what was going on.

I remember the injury time though a lot of us had wondered down to the little area next to the mini stand so we were to the side of the goal. We were all ready to go, other results were being shouted and Dobbo turned and scored.

What a player Dobson was....prolific and trustworthy

Shame he got homesick
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

I was sat in my garden in Somerset thinking well that's that when out of the blue Paul Dobson scored,heaven,we where saved,the joy was unbelievable,I had to write to Stuart Morgan who I think was the manager,saying you never miss what you have untill it's gone.Now of course we are used to it.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

I'm fully expecting York and Guiseley both to win today, so getting 3pts is what's needed. Couple of early goals would be ideal.

Come on boys, one last big effort! YELLLOW ARMY! :scarf:
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Was surprised too see Stuart Morgan go...however Cyril was a awesome appointment ....a proper manager ...never forget that Friday night game when they announced his death....everyone gutted
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Great post(s) Chunks, have a fab day :scarf:
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 29 Apr 2017, 11:48 Was surprised too see Stuart Morgan go...however Cyril was a awesome appointment ....a proper manager ...never forget that Friday night game when they announced his death....everyone gutted
Yeah likewise, I was at the game when they announced at half time Cyrils passing. Awful that was. With your earlier comment, absolutely loved Paul Dobson, he scored a good few goals in a relegation threatened team but the next season he was prolific. I dont think anybody has beaten his total for that season since.

There was quite a few of us at school who went to matches and as young lads we idolised Dobson, Caldwell and Loram. We used to try and mimic Dobsons unique bow legged gait and style of running. We used to " do the Dobbo".
Sincil Bank
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Jim McNichol

Post by Sincil Bank »

...and of course Lincoln were relegated. Paul Dobson later had a spell with us.

Just wanted to drop by and say I am delighted you folks avoided the drop. I posted a couple of times after your visit to Sincil Bank and said then I would really have liked you to stay up. Let's hope things start to turn around for you in the very near future. Not sure how, but I hope they do...
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Yes, you lost at Swansea and, if things had gone differently, it could have been Burnley instead that day, how times have changed. Of course, you bounced straight back if I recall.

Enjoy being back in the League and thanks for the good wishes.