Torquay v Braintree Easter Monday

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

gullintwoplaces wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 07:59 It looked to me like there was radio communication too. In which case why did the ref give the goal and let the players retreat to the half way line and prepare to kick off? It looked like the idiot linesman "reflected" for a very long time before the fairy in his head told him to wave his flag. It was a farce, thank God it didn't matter. The quality of officials in this League is pitiful.
Obviously, the ref and the linesman weren't on the same wavelength ........ :whistle:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Bleeper wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 11:06 Yes he is injured, he failed a late fitness test for yesterday's match so hopefully should be okay for Dover
And thereby leaves a dilemma. Do you change that team that played so well yesterday, albeit against a bang-average Braintree side? Dan Sparkes has been one of our better players this season, and will probably be in with a good chance of the Player of the Season award. But yesterday's team looked better balanced and in my opinion, the team should be the same for the Dover game. If Sparkes or Lathrope are brought back in, that would mean Reid, Williams or Jordan Lee would have to drop out. Looking through the MOM thread, I think that all three were listed in everyone's five contenders. Dan would be a useful substitute to bring on of course, but if I were Nicho, it would be same again.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

No dilemma for me tomogull. If fit, Sparkes in Reid out. Reid is poor, how many goals has he scored this season from almost a centre forward position. He is just not up to it.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Harsh on Reid. Works his socks off and created many openings yesterday. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, he set-up Keating at both Aldershot and Lincoln. Agree though, Sparkes fit does pose a dilemma for Nicho...
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

I agree Reid should make way.

He works hard but has little/no consistent end product. Does all the hard work well then final movement/pass/shot is invariably poor.

E.G. 1:1 on goalkeeper yesterday where it looked like a move around the keeper would have left the goal gaping or a red card if he was brought down - but Reid fluffed his lines.

Flatters to decieve
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

tomogull wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 11:54And thereby leaves a dilemma. Do you change that team that played so well yesterday........

In my opinion; yes.

Lathrope needs to be included to maximise strength in midfield and in front of the defence when Dover's style of play is taken into consideration as Lincoln's very similar style was for the game on Good Friday.

Pre-match planning and shape has been a feature since that decent away run began but the team HAS to be set up to win too. In my opinion that wasn't the case pre-kick-off at Sincil Bank, but lo and behold we had the game won until madness took over and the wrong player was used (it should have been Harrod playing an anchor role once Lathrope's knock took effect) sending on an extra and third central defender causing the team to defend too deep and open up that little bit of room that Lathrope had been denying Rhead on the ground.

In my opinion too Reid is the perfect foil for Keating; Williams is better used as an impact sub or vice versa with him and Keating but my preference is for Keating to start as I like the chemistry between him and Reid..Sparkes too as an impact sub for this game and this game only.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Highlights:

I didn't get a clear view of our second at the game, but it drops just at the right time for Williams, atmosphere sounds epic on video too!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

DECIDED to go to Dover.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Very glad to see that GILBERT is still alive and, by the evidence of this video, kicking. You can see him greeting the players as they arrive on the pitch, celebrating the second goal, and joining in the celebrations at the end. This seems to be a much more involved GILBERT than some previous incarnations. He seems smaller than past GILBERTS, though; has a teenager taken over the role? having said that, OneCanLasher wasn't all that big. Good old GILBERT!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 19:43 Very glad to see that GILBERT is still alive and, by the evidence of this video, kicking. You can see him greeting the players as they arrive on the pitch, celebrating the second goal, and joining in the celebrations at the end. This seems to be a much more involved GILBERT than some previous incarnations. He seems smaller than past GILBERTS, though; has a teenager taken over the role? having said that, OneCanLasher wasn't all that big. Good old GILBERT!
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear Wivel. I wondered when you would surface ! AFC Fylde 5 Whitby Town 1, thus dashing any hopes of reaching the play offs. :'( :'( Ironically, that was the score you forecast for the Gulls. If it wasn't for some very good saves by the Braintree 'keeper, it probably would have been 5 - 1. And you were VERY close with the attendance.

The curent Gilbert is very well behaved. Not like the grumpy gull who threatened to shite on fans on the Pop side which made it on Have I Got News for You. Only at Plainmoor ...... like the 'goal' disallowed well after a minute after the ref had given it.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

tomogull, yes, a disappointment - but at BLYTH, I'm afraid - not Fylde. Well, as always, we keep on keepin' on and hope for better things next season.
Mind you, we haven't got a mascot, but then neither have any other teams in the Northern Premier - and I don't think in the Conference North either (but I could be wrong here).
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

wivelgull wrote: 20 Apr 2017, 10:26
Mind you, we haven't got a mascot, but then neither have any other teams in the Northern Premier - and I don't think in the Conference North either (but I could be wrong here).
Which isn't a bad thing.