Masters steps in and buys up The Sunday Independent.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Masters steps in and buys up The Sunday Independent.

Post by Glostergull »

The Bible for many sports fans in the west has been bought up by Peter Masters. what does this do for journalism in the South west ?
I
fear that someone who could be on the outside looking in as getting involved with United in the future has now taken hold of a paper that at least we could publicly voice our opinions in letters to the editor. He could easily delete them. would he want us to use the paper as a debating chamber or keep us quiet. I was sad that the paper was going to close and then happy to see it was saved until i heard who had saved it.
Your opinions please!
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Didn't realise he was worth that much - although I doubt it went for much. Looks like that newspaper will now display wall to wall positive coverage of the Truro FC ownership and GI. Unfortunately that removes another outlet for our fight against them, even though the Sunday Independent wasn't exactly a vital target for getting the news out.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

If GI have succeeded in their aim of getting the freehold as has been suggested on this forum then I doubt they will need master's support. Masters really wanted TUFC for himself, well that boat has sailed. The only concern he will have is trying to deny his role in the course of events.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

George Osborne (no relation I presume) isn't the new editor is he?
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Dont a few of the Herald reporters also write in the Sunday Independent ???
Perhaps that is why they are keeping quiet.......
Tired Old Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Smith

Post by Tired Old Gull »

MF68 wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 16:23 Dont a few of the Herald reporters also write in the Sunday Independent ???
Perhaps that is why they are keeping quiet.......
It's here:
http://www.devonlive.com/jobs-safe-as-s ... story.html
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Masters isn't in bed with GI. He's just "Tricky Pete" to them.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Glostergull wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 14:36 The Bible for many sports fans in the west has been bought up by Peter Masters. what does this do for journalism in the South west ?
I fear that someone who could be on the outside looking in as getting involved with United in the future has now taken hold of a paper that at least we could publicly voice our opinions in letters to the editor. He could easily delete them. would he want us to use the paper as a debating chamber or keep us quiet. I was sad that the paper was going to close and then happy to see it was saved until i heard who had saved it.
Your opinions please!

Beware the newspaper proprietor and always before you beware the journalists!

The tried old track record of powerful people buying into the media is one of information manipulation and very little about altruism. Pete Masters has a media 'problem' and this is his way to overcome that.

"The Ides of March are come", implying that the prophecy of Caesar being assassinated had not been fulfilled, to which the seer replied "Aye, Caesar; but not gone." in Shakespeare's play.

Pete Masters role in all this pain at Torquay United might appear to have passed; but take it from me.............we relax at our peril!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I'm still of the opinion that Masters and Torquay are destined for each other but don't know how or when.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I agree Nick. Somehow, sometime..... It seems its written in the stars.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

If Baker and Phillips hadn't tried to stiff him for a hefty 6 figure sum after Thea sold it for £1 he would have been the owner now. GI wouldn't have had a sniff.

A lot of bad things are written about him and although I don't have much knowledge of his exploits at Truro he did cough up £100k for them to keep going when nobody else would. I think he would have been preferable to GI any day of the week.
Dave

SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Southampton Gull wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 21:35 If Baker and Phillips hadn't tried to stiff him for a hefty 6 figure sum after Thea sold it for £1 he would have been the owner now. GI wouldn't have had a sniff.

A lot of bad things are written about him and although I don't have much knowledge of his exploits at Truro he did cough up £100k for them to keep going when nobody else would. I think he would have been preferable to GI any day of the week.
I thought the deal collapsed because Truro got promoted and thus Masters fell afoul of having two teams within the 'National League' umbrella? Also Master's association with Helical is iffy to say the least.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

He would have passed control of Truro over to someone else for the chance to take over at Plainmoor make no mistake.

I've never researched the Truro situation, couldn't care less to be honest but I'm happy to take your word for it, I am just of the opinion he would have been the better option over GI.
Dave

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

If Truro go down and the council reject the freehold, could this be our get out of jail card
Lucy