High Scoring games

General chat about anything else goes here.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

High Scoring games

Post by Glostergull »

Admins Please forgive if this needs moving but in light of our 5-5 draw i thought for a while we might be interested in a few other high scoring draws and other high scoring games.

After almost coming close to earning yet another heart attack on watching New years days high scoring draw I wondered how many times have teams or even Torquay come to achieving high scoring draws. or been involved in high-scoring matches.
I have been privileged to watch another 5-5 draw at Eastville when Bristol Rovers lived there. I was too young to travel long distances so had to settle for a team local to my home. and as My departed brother followed the reds I couldn't bring myself to do likewise. so I followed the blue side of the city.
Rovers had been promoted and played Charlton Athletic on 18th November 1978
This is the link to that match which I have only just seen. and indeed never seen before.Randall scored a hat trick and David Williams scored twice.
http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussio ... charlton-5

but what other matches have scored so highly?
Only one 5-5 draw has ever been recorded. Funnily enough that was 19th may 2013 West Brom v Manure
there has never been a 4-4 draw.
There have been several high scoring wins, But I will only highlight one as it's the highest scoring win in the league in modern times.
Portsmouth 7 Reading 4. 29th September 2007, although Spurs have featured in two ten goal thrillers and won both by a high margin. they were way back in 1958. ooh alright, they scored 9 against Bristol Rovers in the 1970's. I didn't want to remember that one because I was stood behind the Goal with Rovers fans.

you have to go a little way back to find the highest scoring draw in the top division of the football league.
1930 when Leicester City drew 6-6 with Arsenal.
Queens Park Rangers did hit Newcastle Utd for a few after being 4-0 down to draw 5-5 in 1980.
The Scottish Premier League had achieved a 6-6 draw in 2010 between Motherwell and Hibs.

After almost coming close to earning yet another heart attack on watching New years days high scoring draw I wondered how many times have teams or even Torquay come to achieving high scoring draws. or been involved in high-scoring matches.
I have been privileged to watch another 5-5 draw at Eastville when Bristol Rovers lived there. I was too young to travel long distances so had to settle for a team local to my home. and as My departed brother followed the reds I couldn't bring myself to do likewise. so I followed the blue side of the city.
Rovers had been promoted and played Charlton Athletic on 18th November 1978
http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussio ... charlton-5 this is the link to the film of that match which I have only just seen and never watched before. Randall scored a hat trick and David Williams scored twice.
but what other matches have scored so highly?
Only one 5-5 draw has ever been recorded. Funnily enough, there has never been a 4-4 draw. that was 19th may 2013 West Brom v Manure
There have been several high scoring wins, though. But I will only highlight one as it's the highest scoring win in the league to date.
Portsmouth 7 Reading 4. 29th September 2007, although Spurs have featured in two ten goal thrillers and won both by a high margin.

you have to go a little way back to find the highest scoring draw in the top division of the football league to. 1930 when Leicester City drew 6-6 with Arsenal. Although Queens Park Rangers did hit Newcastle Utd for a few after being 4-0 down to draw 5-5 in 1980.
The Scottish Premier League had achieved this result in 2010 between Motherwell and Hibs. https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... ball-draws
This match was even more incredible given that Motherwell was 6-2 down and even missed a penalty.
That link will include the QPR v Newcastle match too. I'm afraid they didn't catch the 1930 game on Match of the day.

In Division 2 which is now the Championship. Charlton again featured in a high scoring draw. 6-6 with Middlesbrough. without Floodlights. so how they saw the goals later in the game I will never know lol. That was 22nd October 1960
But if you want a more miraculous match then look at Charltons match With Hudderfield 21st Decemeber 1957. Huddersfield was winning this match 5-1 when Charltons skipper was injured and had to go off. No subs were allowed in those days. and so Charlton has to play with ten men. despite this, they pulled back to win 7-6. I hate to think what the Huddersfield dressing room was like after that.
There have been a few high scoring games where one team has won. but not so many where the winning team has scored by a high margin. I mean winning by 7 or 8 goals.
1987/8 season and two games come to mind.
Gillingham beat Chesterfield 10-0 Sept 6th 1987 but only two months later Manchester City did it again and beat Huddersfield town 10-1 I can't imagine the manager of either club keeping his job after those defeats Although Malcolm Macdonald did keep his job. but only until the end of the season when Huddersfield was relegated. Ironically the Gillingham manager Keith Peacock did lose his job at the end of the season.
The Manchester game was also notable for 3 players scoring a hat-trick for Man City which I have a hunch is the only time that has ever happened. although if any Torquay Players would like to step up to the mantle I think we would be well pleased. assuming we were still conscious after that game. I know I would probably faint.
Man City did record another if not the highest scoring game certainly for them at least. 1895 when they thumped Lincoln 11-3but high scores were not uncommon in those days.
Doncaster Rovers thumped Darlington 10-0 on 1967 and Fulham dumped Ipswich Town 10-1 in 1963. Hartlepools and Wrexham did the same. Hartlepools ironically being the winner against Barrow but losing by the 10 goal margin against Wrexham. Reading also stuffed Crystal Palace 10-2 in 1946 but spare a thought for poor old Newcastle who should have been at the top of the record books for high scoring games with an enormous drubbing of 13-0 dished out to Newport county only to see it eclipsed by Spurs high scoring game against Everton which ended 10-4. since Newcastle played a lowly Newport who admittedly was in what is now the Championship I think the accolade must go to Spurs who were at least playing a division one Fashionable team. Poor Old Newport was also on the end of an 11 goal smashing by Notts county 3 years later in 1949.
Lincoln City also handed out an 11 goal walloping to Crewe. both teams in Divison 3 north.
But Oldham must be top of the pile as they dished out an 11 goal hammering twice since the war. winning 11-2 against Chester in Div 3 North and 11-0 against Southport in 1962 this time in Division 4 after Div 3 north and South regional were abolished in favour of a totally national league div 3 and 4.
I am glad I didn't decide to look before the war. I can forget the 1930's I will leave you to find out why.
Torquay did record a high scoring win against Swindon Town on 8th March 1952 winning 9-0 and walloped Northampton in the cup in 1959 by 7 goals to 1 but also lost 7-1 to Both Birmingham and Oldham in 1956 and 91 respectively. Again I won't look pre-war. I will leave that to you.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Torquay lost 8-4 to Wallsall in a Cup replay I seem to remember. It was 4-4 at full-time and Ian Hathaway hit both posts in the 95th minute which would have sent us through.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

thats funny. i thought we had been in a high scoring game with someone in a cup competition but couldnt see it in the records. thanks for reminding me
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

How about this - both Division 2 matches

26/12/60 Charlton Athleticc 6 Argyle 4
27/12/60 Argyle 6 Charlton Athletic 4

Unbeatable?