Torquay United v Forest Green Rovers National League Mon 26 Dec 2016

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Torquay United v Forest Green Rovers National League Mon 26 Dec 2016

Post by Gullscorer »

At the beginning of the season we had done reasonably well in the pre-season friendlies (the victory over WBA is still fresh in the mind) and there was much hope that we would at least establish ourselves in a solid mid-table position during 2016/17. In reality, the disastrous financial situation the club was in, and the uncertainties regarding the club's future, indeed its very existence, was bound to bear down heavily on the manager and playing squad. It is to their credit that, unlike last season, we are still some places above the relegation zone, having gained a few welcome and perhaps unlikely victories.

Now, we have new owners and the promise of sufficient investment to secure the club's financial stability (along with salaries and wages) for some time to come, and, notwithstanding the fans' mistrust of Gaming International, the prospects for the new year and 2017 suddenly look a little brighter. Will the players, with those weights lifted from their shoulders, respond accordingly? I've a feeling that they will, and what better time than our Boxing Day match against Forest Green Rovers.

But it's essential that we turn up in numbers and give the lads our full support. We did this at Plainmoor last year, and we won 4-1: However, in the return fixture on New Year's Day, FGR beat us 3-1. Despite this loss and subsequently being 13 points adrift at the bottom of the table, we eventually went on a fine run to avoid relegation, with the help of financial support from (we later learned) none other than GI..

The New Year could be the start of a successful new era for the club, but only if we help to make it so, with our full support of the team and of manager Kevin Nicholson.

Recent form (last six league games):

Gulls: loss (0-2 Guiseley A), draw (1-1 Wrexham H), win (3-0 Solihull Moors H), loss (1-2 Tranmere A), win (1-0 Dag & Red A), draw (0-0 York City A);

FGR: win (2-1 Aldershot H), win (1-0 Macclesfield A), loss (2-3 Lincoln H), draw (2-2 Tranmere H), loss (1-3 Wrexham A), draw (1-1 Dover H);

Of these last six games, FGR have played 4 at home, we have played 4 away! And the results suggest that we're definitely in with a chance!

This is a game not to be missed (k.o. 3 pm)..!!!

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

No bus services on Boxing Day, except for an hourly service on number 12 route, which finishes early, but allows sufficient time after the game to walk down the hill to the Castle Circus or Central Church bus stops.

You should also allow sufficient time for travel to the game. Timetables here:
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-an ... s-services

Last buses home:
To Brixham from Castle Circus Lymington Road at 17:31.
To Newton Abbot from Central Church at 17:04 and 18:04.
To Paignton from Castle Circus Lymington Road at 17:31 and 18:31.

Taxis are also available. Book your own in advance.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I think everyone will try their hardest, but I can't see a win. Thus:

Torquay United (0) 0
Forest Green Rovers (0) 1

Att: 2455
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

flippen eckythump Wivel. Christmas has gone to your head. only a 1-0 loss and so many attending. gee you must be missing Brucie lol
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Always loved a trip out on Boxing Day, normally a local derby at home or away against Exeter. Be great to get out the house today, but will I be supporting Clarke Kent and co with a bright new era?

Not a chance.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Life can be very short, and heck I'm off back to work in the morning. So what should I do today, stay at home sulking, do Boxing day with Mrs Forever, stand outside the ground getting all so, so angry, or meet up with some friends go in and have a giggle watching my team trying to play football.

Yes, know what I'm doing today, it's the football for me, looking forward it, even if I'm not expecting a result.
Formerly known as forevertufc
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Although I won't be there (I shall be at the Turnbull Ground watching Whitby Town vs Blyth Spartans [and we're hoping for a 600+ crowd]) I, as always, wish United all the best. Ah! those Boxing Day games vs Exeter City - brucie is right!!
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Going to be difficult but think we can nick a point today (if Moore can be kept quiet) . Going for 1 - 1. Attendance 2516.

Come on the gulls!!!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

1-2 defeat, 1643 there
still keeping the faith
pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by pnutgull »

No excuse at all for not getting there... at least where the weather is concerned. Warm, dry and sunny spells.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Think we might sneak it 1-0.
Att 2,016
Off to oakwell soon to watch Gus play for Barnsley. :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I can't see us scoring 2 goals or more. However I couldn't see us winning last year either.

2 nil FGR's
Crowd 2350
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

1-0 Bliss. Get in
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

BLISSSSS!!
Jeff