FA Trophy First Round, Braintree Town v Torquay United, Sat. 10 December 2016

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

It's the complete lack of balanced opinion and awareness of the clubs situation that gets me.

I've said before, Nico has done a long way from a perfect job but he's doing a bloody good job with the tools at his disposal.

Alluding to the post above about Lathrope, LRT etc. Have you thought that they might have been all we can afford with a meagre budget? We likely had to pursue players who were seen as damaged goods to fit the budget - Nico took a punt on Lathrope and it's not worked out. For all we know, a crocked Lathrope might have been all we could afford.

It annoys me that Nico gets a harder time on here than any other manager we've ever had. Despite emphatically delivering on his remit last season and proving his credentials, he is still expected to win EVERY game otherwise the knives are out.

I bet the majority of the nay-sayers on here won't be found to have posted congratulations on the Dagenham match day thread
Terry Henry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Terry Henry »

Jeff wrote:It's the complete lack of balanced opinion and awareness of the clubs situation that gets me.

I've said before, Nico has done a long way from a perfect job but he's doing a bloody good job with the tools at his disposal.

Alluding to the post above about Lathrope, LRT etc. Have you thought that they might have been all we can afford with a meagre budget? We likely had to pursue players who were seen as damaged goods to fit the budget - Nico took a punt on Lathrope and it's not worked out. For all we know, a crocked Lathrope might have been all we could afford.

It annoys me that Nico gets a harder time on here than any other manager we've ever had. Despite emphatically delivering on his remit last season and proving his credentials, he is still expected to win EVERY game otherwise the knives are out.

I bet the majority of the nay-sayers on here won't be found to have posted congratulations on the Dagenham match day thread
:goodpost:

Plus, people come on here and come out with a load of fairly basic stuff as if they're the first person to ever think of it, and almost implying that Nicho couldn't have thought of it.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Did Rooney play today?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Attendance: 301. I wonder if this is the lowest crowd that Torquay United (first team) have ever played in front of.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Burnhamgull wrote:If we were bang average, we'd be safely in mid table surely?
We've won or drawn half of our games this season. Sounds pretty average to me.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

So he had NO alternative to signing crocks ??? Feck me his contacts must be limited !!

I think I have a pretty balanced opinion. Its just that many people ignore what is in front of them.

Nico does NOT get a harder time than any other manager we have ever had. He gets the easiest ride because he is a "legend" . Alan Knill anyone ?

Short memories people..

Delivered on his remit ?? I should bloody well think so !!

As for the Dagenham game I did say "Well done Guys "" !!

I do not expect him to win EVERY game just win SOME would help !

Scoring some goals would also help !!

After watching United for other forty years I have never been so depressed about what is happening on and off the pitch.

Even I am losing the faith and reaching the point of giving up.

As for the comment about "basic stuff" Nico has OBVIOUSLY NOT thought of it !!

Its the same crap same excuse every feckng week.

Yes Rob Rooney did play. Has to be better than Gerring
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

For a start this is a public forum people are entitled to their opinion regardless of how basic, or whether someone's expressed such an opinion prior, everyone has the right also, to agree or disagree.

Today emphasizes something that was quite obvious, we could all see just how important K.Moore was to our team, not just scoring goals, but holding the ball up and providing an attacking outlet, also the chances he created for the others to miss. We were 'Torquay nil' before he arrived, the concern was, our team would revert right back to type.

I have a certain amount of sympathy for the club as a whole right now, we all know there's a takeover or 'not' takeover going through, by the end of next week we'll know, but the point is, the club right now is in limbo, nothing can done to plug the gap until that matter is resolved, and should the club fall into the hands of G.I by default, then, well, who knows where the clubs going anyway.

As for Nicho, I've stopped short of out right criticism, the situation is not fully all his fault, it's not just about player budgets, it's about support from the club, Nicho has not had either. I don't hang anyone for making mistake either, we all make them in our personal and professional lives.

But, to be fair Nicho has made some truly awful decisions, Lathrope being one of them, personally not letting Nicho off with that one. Doesn't not matter one jot whether the manager has £300 a week left in his budget or not, you DO NOT sign a player who's barely kicked a ball in anger for 18 months because of a persistent groin problem, it wouldn't have quite so bad but, for the fact that Lathrope has fallen to a groin injury, didn't need mystic meg to see that one coming to be honest.

Nicho could have spent the money on a right back and put Verma in midfield, he did a mate a favour, and it's cost the club.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Great escape ??...yeah right...

We are a massive 5 points off the relegation places and we have lost to Woking Southport Guisely and North Ferriby all below us. Do you see us winning at York next week. I hope so but.....I am not going to hold my breath.

FFS Jeff where I have said I EXPECT success ? Jeez if I expect success I would be yet another armchair Manure fan.

I have traveled the length and breath of this country supporting this club. Trips to Workington ...remember them ? Scunthorpe. Darlington etc.All of those glamour trips. I have NEVER expected success and I admit I cried on our first visit to Wembley two years after a real great escape in 1987.
It's because the club means so much to me and has played a huge part in my life is the reason why I am upset as to its present state. But hey ho its all we can expect isn't it ? Follow the messiah.
At least back then we had hope and FUN going to the games ! It is not like that now and by the gates we get and all the faces that I no longer see at Plainmoor many others presumably share a similar view.

Agreed nobody is forcing me to be a supporter but it seems I am now not allowed a view on what am seeing compared to what I have seen.
Makes you embarrassed to be a TUFC supporter if people moan ? Feck I have had to put up with people taking the piss out of me for supporting TUFC from my schooldays to my age now of 56 so don't you dare lay that on me or question my support !!

We all want the same thing and that is success for our club but can you honestly see it ever returning to even the modest level of league two ?
I will keep on going but you have to question the sanity of us all !!

(Jeffs reply post to me has gone ??? !! Oh well hey ho )
Last edited by Dutchgull on 10 Dec 2016, 20:02, edited 2 times in total.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: We've won or drawn half of our games this season. Sounds pretty average to me.
We've lost or drawn two thirds of our games this season. Sounds worse than average to me. That's not including cup games which would make for a worse stat.

Stats can be manipulated to say whatever you want but I think we all crave midtable obscurity at the moment. Whatever happens in the next seven days, lets all hope it's for the benefit of the future of our club.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Jeff wrote:
:O :O

You have to be joking?

Nicho easily gets the least criticism on here of any manager we've had in the last 30 years. Did you not see some of the crap thrown at Knill, or the unpleasant insinuations about Ling's illness? Buckle is statistically the most successful manager we have ever had but was constantly slagged off on here.

Atkins,Hargreaves, Saunders, O'Riordan even Leroy, the list goes on and they all came in for stick at some point or other.

But it seems that Nicho is not allowed to be criticised because he is a nice bloke and a "legend"?

Yes he is working under difficult circumstances and personally I think he has done okay but he is far from perfect.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Let's face it the club's a shambles from the top downwards. Let's hope that next Friday, or before, brings better news but not expecting it especially if it's related to GI/Masters.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Ok we lost today, but had we won, we would have people moaning tonight that we should be concentrating on the league. I'm not saying being knocked out of the FA trophy is a disaster. But how many of us cheered last season when we lost to Bognor. How many Halifax fans would have swapped the trophy win for national league survival last season. Let's get a grip, the FA trophy is the carling cup(or what ever it is these day). The point being it's a pointless competition unless you seriously have promotion or relegation as a priority. Glad we are knocked out
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

lucy6lucy wrote:Ok we lost today, but had we won, we would have people moaning tonight that we should be concentrating on the league. I'm not saying being knocked out of the FA trophy is a disaster. But how many of us cheered last season when we lost to Bognor. How many Halifax fans would have swapped the trophy win for national league survival last season. Let's get a grip, the FA trophy is the carling cup(or what ever it is these day). The point being it's a pointless competition unless you seriously have promotion or relegation as a non priority. Glad we are knocked out
Lucy
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Whether you are pro or anti Nicholson you have to say his cup teams have under performed. The players must have known how important getting extra income into the club particularly in the current run of away games but they show little sign of an ability to go the extra mile. I do think it is time they stood up and were counted. If they really are unable to work to instructions there is something wrong. The manager makes reference to a lack of crowd atmosphere this afternoon as if it affected them. It is surely time they demonstrated real passion whatever and where ever.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

Dazza wrote:Whether you are pro or anti Nicholson you have to say his cup teams have under performed. The players must have known how important getting extra income into the club particularly in the current run of away games but they show little sign of an ability to go the extra mile. I do think it is time they stood up and were counted. If they really are unable to work to instructions there is something wrong. The manager makes reference to a lack of crowd atmosphere this afternoon as if it affected them. It is surely time they demonstrated real passion whatever and where ever.
I'm pro-Nicholson, but agree the players are accountable for the result, quite not sure how a crowd of 301 can effect a match result but yes losing is hard to take, but my point is it's the league the main focus.
Lucy