FA Trophy First Round, Braintree Town v Torquay United, Sat. 10 December 2016

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

FA Trophy First Round, Braintree Town v Torquay United, Sat. 10 December 2016

Post by Gullscorer »

The Braintree area is famous for its jams, such as Tiptree, and Wilkin and Sons, and its football club also appears to be in a bit of a jam at the present time (sorry about that)! They are currently 21st in the National League table. However, they have won three and drawn one of their last six league games, so they're not going to be as simple a pushover as their league position would suggest. In addition, they are bound to raise their game against us on Saturday. Which means, we must raise our game against them. The FA Trophy provides opportunities, not only for some useful extra revenue, but also the honour of winning at Wembley.

In their last match, Braintree lost 2-5 away to Millwall in the FA Cup on 4 December, so they are already battle-hardened to perform in a cup-tie. In their last league game, on 26 November, they won 5-4 away to Southport, admittedly not that much of an achievement, but if we put up a better defence than Southport did then we'll have a decent chance of getting through to the next round.

In our previous game, last Tuesday, the Gulls won 1-0 away to Dagenham, and in our game away to Braintree on 29 August we won 3-1, with goals from Reid, Gallifuoco, and Young. Sadly, Luke Young is currently injured, but doubtless the rest of the squad is ready and raring to go.

Providing we don't think that all we need to do is to put in an appearance on the pitch, then we should win this one, which is there for the taking. And we should have a decent level of support from travelling Gulls fans and those residing in south-east England. Ten days ago I had forecast a defeat for us in this game, but now, I expect us to win. More than that, I expect us to have a much better second half of the season altogether!

Forecast: Braintree 1 Gulls 2. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Difficult to say. The loss of Moore (K) has added a different complexion to any attempt to forecast. But I'll have a go:
Braintree Town (0) 1
Torquay United (0) 1

Att: 384.
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

Tight game, but I think our desire for the £2,500 (or whatever it is) prize money will help motivate us ^.^ and we'll win 1-0.

COYY :scarf: :scarf:
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

I think it's £5k but not sure it works like that otherwise the £12.5k for getting to R1 of the FA Cup should have motivated them also. :(
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Time to give McCoulskie, S. a go.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

I cannot believe you lot. It's so easy to actually find our the truth of what the prize money is. 1st qualifying roundr is £2,700 2nd qualifying round it goes up to £3,250. Third qualifying round £4,000. then the first round proper. £5,000. Second round proper is £6,000. third round proper £7,000. fourth round proper £8,000. Semi finals £16,000. runner up £25,000. Winners £50,000. not hard to find. why go to all the conjecture. no wonder the board call us Keyboard W*****S when we can't be bothered to find out the real truth on something so simple to look up
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

On the HE match preview, on the squad list for today's game it still shows Palfrey listed. Is he even still with us? Seems to have been the weirdest and most pointless loan deal in history
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Legend Nico has made a few of those !!
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

My God this game is boring to listen to!!!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

1-0 Braintree FFS
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

1 down briiliant!
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

1-0 Braintree
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Here we go again ........looks like we are out of another competition at the first attempt!

Did take Braintree about 20+ corners to get a goal though - what a strong defence we must have !!!!
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

2 down wonderful