Tranmere V Torquay 26/11 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Tranmere miss a penalty
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

I love Danny Racchi as a commentator - he shows more passion than the entire team :bow:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Boy could the team benefit from his leadership and he said "my boots are in the car"!
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

I don't agree with Guildford Gull that Nicho should go but he definitely could do with some Racchi standard quality in the team which can only come from new investment.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Gulliball wrote:Good to see that we've got one back. Hopefully we can now finish the game strongly so that there's a bit of positivity and not some crazy over-reaction to getting beaten by a team with a wage bill of more than a million a year.
:goodpost:

Unfortunately in professional sport money usually = results.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Simples. Racchi signs a one month cheapy contract to prove himself and gets on the team bus..
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Dazza wrote:Simples. Racchi signs a one month cheapy contract to prove himself and gets on the team bus..
I'm sure if he was anywhere near fit someone would have signed him already, we all know he is good enough for most, if not every team in this league.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

PhilGull wrote: I'm sure if he was anywhere near fit someone would have signed him already, we all know he is good enough for most, if not every team in this league.
Anyone know why he isn't fit?

Perhaps instead of giving it large AKA Hargreaves style bigging himself up, he needs to get off his ar5e and do something about it.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: Anyone know why he isn't fit?

Perhaps instead of giving it large AKA Hargreaves style bigging himself up, he needs to get off his ar5e and do something about it.
He is fit mate ..... the man himself says so on Twitter. I actually thought he was a very good summariser today, seemed to read the game well and think he made a good point in that perhaps we should have "matched up" with the formation that Tranmere were playing in order to try and stem ( what seemed like) wave after wave of Tranmere attacks where they kept finding space in behind our midfield. He was pretty scathing of the team and was amazed at the number of times from throw ins and corners etc where we got caught out by not reacting quickly enough.

His verdict....

Not a great result or performance,enjoyed the experience and yes I'm 100% fit and have been training for the last month #BOOTSAREINTHECAR
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

No worries CP Gull.
Sounds like the same "switching off" we saw at Guiseley..... :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

With Lathrope and Young out (and please god, may Young not be too serious) we might well need a midfielder. Richards and Ward could start on Tuesday, but after that we've only got Chaney and possibly Verma, and neither of those would perhaps suit a two man midfield, and we finally have 2 wingers and several strikers to be able to play a 4-4-2.

Racchi might be cheaper than he was in the summer, having been without a club now for 6 months. But the trouble is that it's still money we need to find, and having been stung by Lathrope already it would be another risk to commit to anything more than a month to month deal. That might be ok for a teenager living in the Gulls Lodge, but for a 27 year old based up North it's a different lifestyle entirely. There's also the reality that after 6 months of not playing football, he's not going to come in and be the same player he was last season from day one.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

Well, the midfield lost us that game. We had no one who could pass a ball in the middle of the pitch.

I thought we were actually ok defensively. One lapse in concentration for the first goal to give Mangan too much space (it was a quality finish) but other than that, the back 4 did ok, especially considering they had to reshuffle after 10 minutes. Yes, we were exposed a fair bit second half but that wasn't the back 4's fault.

The game was gone before the second half had hardly started. Our midfield was snoozing, a couple of easy passes and Mangan had his second. Yes, Moore should have saved it but I'm not going to give him a hard time about it. The midfield should have been tighter.

Tactically, I'm not sure what the plan was. We were 442 but we hardly got it wide at all and just lumped it long to Kieffer. He won most of his headers but 90% of them went no where near a yellow shirt. Was so frustrating to watch.

We had a couple of half chances but generally created nothing. The odd occasion we did get it wide, our crossing was shite. Sparkes is the only player who put in a decent ball today. Once.

I didn't think Tranmere looked anything special. A decent centre half, a good left winger and a clinical striker. Their full backs were crap.

One last thing, the game was played in almost complete silence. It was weird. We made a bit of noise but there was very little from the Tranmere fans.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Tranmere were just like Gillingham of a few years ago under Martin Allen. Completed a huge percentage of their passes, always had a runner and demonstrated excellent touch. Technically very good. That they aren't higher up the division is a mystery.

On Racchi; he won't be coming,no matter how much he wants to, so put that out of your minds.

On Young; it's a scan on Monday. Early estimate of a month.

On everything else;

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Talking about the mid-field - did they miss Richards?

I know he gets a lot of stick for passes going amiss and launching the ball to nowhere in particular but he does have a lot to say and marshals the troops well as captain.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

gullpower wrote:Talking about the mid-field - did they miss Richards?

I know he gets a lot of stick for passes going amiss and launching the ball to nowhere in particular but he does have a lot to say and marshals the troops well as captain.
For sure we missed his poor passing and hoofing the ball yesterday NOT. his only use yesterday would have been his hands to god in getting that fog that descended at halftime to get the bloody game called off.
Lucy