Can we raise £400,000. Yes or No?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

This thread is absolutely magnificent and tipifies this forum generally.

The title of this thread (which I didn't write) asks, "Can we raise £400,000?"

The opening post (which I didn't write) goes on to state that, "it would only take 1000 supporters to offer a loan of £400 each".
This post sets the tone for what follows.

Lots of people (none of whom were me) then say that they would be happy to chip in the required amount or more.

I turn up and suggest that I too would pony up, but that since talk is cheap, we should probably get a good idea of how many people actually mean it. I attempt to start a list of willing contributors. Two things happen: lots of people go suspiciously quiet and the list gets forgotten.
At this stage the OP's idea is seeming a little harder to fulfil.

Someone who isn't me then suggests a list is a crap idea and we should use a crowdfunding website instead.

I setup this crowdfunding cause.

Excuses from people who aren't me come flooding in.

I get told by people who are long on chat and short on action that "my idea" (none of this was my **** idea, I'm just the only one actually willing to do more than talk a good game) is a crap one and the best thing to do is to join some supporters association which has neither finance nor opportunity to do anything practically useful for the club.

I then write this post and resolve that, if anything, this thread has stiffened my initial suspicion that in the event of the club coming to the fans for enormous financial support, we'll be lucky to cobble together more than about £30.

Good show everyone.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Matt, I am a member of "some supporters association" (TUST). The point is that if the board allow TUST to get involved with running and/or owning the club (and it is solely a decision for the board) then I will be very happy to take part in a community share issue. What I am not prepared to do is promise to hand over 400 quid to some random bloke on the Internet (you).
I am not going to line the pockets of GI for the board to then go and get another loan which threatens the future of the club from some other ne'er-do-well.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Ditto, Phil.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

No, you're not the only one willing to "do more than talk a good game". It's just that you're some random off the internet and no-one knows or trusts you.

If your name was, for example, Michael Goulbourne, and you were the properly and democratically elected chairman of an organisation representing TUFC supporters, then you'd get more than short shrift from me.

But you're not.

And the club has - for the time being - told the Trust to do one. If that changes, I'll be one of the first in line to write a cheque for the Trust. Just not for you.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

So many people giving caveats and/or excuses around investing 400 quid, and yet everyone is still moaning that the board might want to get something back on their (over) 30k invested so far (ironically, if you watch the fans forum video you will see that they say that this would not be the case if the right buyer came along). How wonderful it must be to live in a brain without the urge to stop and think about things for a second.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

madgull wrote:So many people giving caveats and/or excuses around investing 400 quid, and yet everyone is still moaning that the board might want to get something back on their (over) 30k invested so far (ironically, if you watch the fans forum video you will see that they say that this would not be the case if the right buyer came along). How wonderful it must be to live in a brain without the urge to stop and think about things for a second.
I'm going to save the club. I need each of you to give me £400 and everything will be fine.

*Sounds stupid, right?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Whatever happens in these next few weeks we are going to have to be prepared to raise some sort of funds just in case as after the events of the last few years I cant see anything running smoothly or going right for Torquay United, I cant see anybody coming in to bail us out so to speak.

I dont trust this board as their total lack of any communication and contempt and disdain for fellow supporters has made me sceptical. However, when it comes to it the continued existence of our beloved football club we may have to put our mistrust and misgivings aside. The directors clearly dont want to work with the TUST, but surely if we are on our knees financially when it comes to it they wouldnt be that foolish and full of stubborn pride as not to accept funding from supporters in exchange for shares for having a small part in the club. The directors could continue if that is their egotitical desire and eventually if other individual supporters running total of shares hit the magic number they could elavate to a position on the board, or something like that.

I dl like the crowd funding idea, it could work, every idea depends on getting the word out there, I still dont think enough people have any idea or knowledge about or of the TUST. If TUST just said come on lets get enough money together and offer to buy the club I would be more inclined to support it but many dont know what they really want or what they are trying to do. They more or less asked the club for permission to make a bid, well maybe they should just go for it with the fund raising, look at a figure like the one on this thread which is about right to start with and say we are going to make the bid, lets go for it Gulls fans.

If nothing continues to happen then we arent going to have anythingto debate about before too long anyway. Nobody has had a bad idea or opinion yet, at least they are trying to come up with a solution, shame those running the club dont seem to have been doing that in the right way for far too long.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

chunkygull wrote: I still dont think enough people have any idea or knowledge about or of the TUST.
The information is there if people want to look for it.

http://torquaysupporters.co.uk/Home.aspx

http://torquaysupporters.co.uk/ForeverYellow.aspx

http://www.supporters-direct.org/homepage/what-we-do
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

But that is the problem with the Torbay area and Torquay United fan base in general, people aret going to look for it,for TUST or any scheme to work it needs to be in their face and bite them on the ass. Granted there is a huge disadvantage in the fact that the local rag hasnt helped raise awareness one bit and are clearly in the pocket of the club. If the Herald gave a scheme or TUST a bit of publicity it would likely add many more members and funds to the cause, but they are as stagnant and apathetic as everything and everyone else in the area.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

chunkygull wrote:But that is the problem with the Torbay area and Torquay United fan base in general, people aret going to look for it,for TUST or any scheme to work it needs to be in their face and bite them on the ass. Granted there is a huge disadvantage in the fact that the local rag hasnt helped raise awareness one bit and are clearly in the pocket of the club. If the Herald gave a scheme or TUST a bit of publicity it would likely add many more members and funds to the cause, but they are as stagnant and apathetic as everything and everyone else in the area.
You're right, especially about the Herald. No matter how slow the news and no matter how hard they have to work to create news out of some mundane local non-event they never mentioned TUST. Shame on you Dave Thomas, Guy Henderson and Richard Hughs.

If I remember correctly an ad for/about TUST that was sponsored by a member did appear in the Herald in the last couple of years. TUST funds are ring fenced for specific purposes but perhaps a fund could be set up specifically to publicise its aims.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

PhilGull wrote: I'm going to save the club. I need each of you to give me £400 and everything will be fine.

*Sounds stupid, right?
Yes it does, thank you for illustrating so perfectly why both this idea and the idea of fan ownership is ludicrous. :)

Like I said, it still shows a wonderful double standard on the part of the fanbase to expect the board to write off their investments for the love of the club while refusing to commit to a simple 400 quid loan without a myriad of conditions.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

chunkygull wrote:Whatever happens in these next few weeks we are going to have to be prepared to raise some sort of funds just in case as after the events of the last few years I cant see anything running smoothly or going right for Torquay United, I cant see anybody coming in to bail us out so to speak.

I dont trust this board as their total lack of any communication and contempt and disdain for fellow supporters has made me sceptical. However, when it comes to it the continued existence of our beloved football club we may have to put our mistrust and misgivings aside. The directors clearly dont want to work with the TUST, but surely if we are on our knees financially when it comes to it they wouldnt be that foolish and full of stubborn pride as not to accept funding from supporters in exchange for shares for having a small part in the club. The directors could continue if that is their egotitical desire and eventually if other individual supporters running total of shares hit the magic number they could elavate to a position on the board, or something like that.

I dl like the crowd funding idea, it could work, every idea depends on getting the word out there, I still dont think enough people have any idea or knowledge about or of the TUST. If TUST just said come on lets get enough money together and offer to buy the club I would be more inclined to support it but many dont know what they really want or what they are trying to do. They more or less asked the club for permission to make a bid, well maybe they should just go for it with the fund raising, look at a figure like the one on this thread which is about right to start with and say we are going to make the bid, lets go for it Gulls fans.

If nothing continues to happen then we arent going to have anythingto debate about before too long anyway. Nobody has had a bad idea or opinion yet, at least they are trying to come up with a solution, shame those running the club dont seem to have been doing that in the right way for far too long.
TUST members know exactly what TUST does and what they are trying to do.TUST provides frequent detailed and informative communications-and is far more open and transparent than the club.Join(50p) a week and you'll be far better informed.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

The club do not want to sell to fans, so whether it is £40 or £400,000 it won't make any difference. If they won't deal with TUST what makes anyone think they will deal with another random group of fans?

Peter Masters/GI have got their claws in too deeply for the club to have any say in how the future goes. They are clearly not going to be able to repay GI's loan, so it is GI who have the club to do with as they please.

Supporters should divert their energy to ensuring that the council protect the future of football in this town by refusing to sell the freehold when GI/Masters start coming along with their emotional blackmail.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

torregull wrote: TUST members know exactly what TUST does and what they are trying to do.TUST provides frequent detailed and informative communications-and is far more open and transparent than the club.Join(50p) a week and you'll be far better informed.
Again this is a problem, yes TUST members know exactly what TUST does and what they are trying to do and I dare say more or less every TUFC fan online knows quite a bit, but much of the locality or fan base at large havent got a clue or dont know zip. I admire what they are trying to do and its great that people are being proactive when it come to TUFC but without the media support and a more visible presence I just feel it will amount to nothing. I know its only £2 a month but I think more people would be inclined to put money directly into the club should a proper share scheme arise out of neccessity. I know the directors would see this as an interference they could do without, but it could be the only last resort available, shame on them if they just let us fall into the clutches of GI without even looking at this option. I cant understand though why they were so hell bent on GI taking over the club and not entertaining other options enough when GI were clearly unsuitable sharks with no care towards the football team whatsoever.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Could the takeover by GI be as soon as tomorrow?