So what do we need......?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

It is a shame to lose Dan Butler, but at the same time I wish him well for the future. We had quite a few players signed by Cox who didn't survive the season, either because they offered nothing on the pitch or took the first opportunity to leave. Dan was excellent for us throughout the season, bought into what Nicholson wanted and stayed until the bitter end, helping us achieve the great escape. He's now a free agent and from his time here showed enough to warrant either a move up the pyramid or a more lucrative deal elsewhere.

The positives we have to take is that the spine of the team re-signed, all of which would have been much, much harder to replace on our budget. Butler was just as good as these players and we won't replace him a better player, but the gap between him and McGinty is far less than the gap between MacDonald, Young or Blissett would have been to their replacements if we had had to do that.

Richards and Harrad I am indifferent about as they were good enough for us but would be more than replaceable should the need arrive.

Overall I think we've done far better with the re-signings than we could have expected, so whilst Dan is a shame, we have reasons to be positive. We're only a few new arrivals away from having a very good (if small) squad and should be looking towards the top half in my opinion.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Top half? I'm looking at the title. And the top scorer. I'm looking at a trophy - a proper trophy, not the playoff because we wernt good enough to win the league. Aim for the top. Be positive!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Updated squad below. I make it 15?

Think if we could get the red suggestions in (20) we would be looking good although Nicho has said 17 - 19 so might be disappointed for a couple of them. Def need another winger and striker IMO

Keeper
Moore
cover needed

Left Back
LRT
Nicho (as cover only!)
Mcginty can also cover this position

Right back
Verma
+1 needed (until Berry is back?)

Centre Back
MacDonald
Mcginty
Gerring

LRT can also cover this position

Centre Mid:
Lathrope
Young
Chaney
Duke

+1 needed
Verma can also cover this postion

Wingers:
Sparkes
+1 needed
Hancox
perhaps Chaney could do a job as cover?

Strikers
Blissett
Williams

+1 needed
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

I've just noticed on the official site that Richards has had fan sponsorship for next season , does this mean he is now staying ?
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I think three more is probably realistic. A midfielder who can play right-back, a winger and a striker.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

markw wrote:I've just noticed on the official site that Richards has had fan sponsorship for next season , does this mean he is now staying ?
I know some who would pay him to GO!
TUST member 200 ;-)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Richards is underrated by fans in my view. When he plays we tend not to get overrun in midfield. His performances will vary but what he lacks in touch he makes up for in work rate.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Yer but, running around like a blue-ar5ed fly and clearing a ball rather than passing it creatively - surely we can do better than that? We've got Lathrope back.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

I've heard a rumour that we are signing ex Plymouth winger Isaac Vassell. Since leaving Plymouth he has been playing for Truro where he has scored 20 goals in 40 apps over the last 2 seasons. I asked a friend who is a Truro Fan about him and he said he is very good player but has had an issue with a groin problem, hence why he has only played 40 games in 2 seasons. If we can keep him fit he could be a good addition to the squad.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Markh84 wrote:I've heard a rumour that we are signing ex Plymouth winger Isaac Vassell. Since leaving Plymouth he has been playing for Truro where he has scored 20 goals in 40 apps over the last 2 seasons. I asked a friend who is a Truro Fan about him and he said he is very good player but has had an issue with a groin problem, hence why he has only played 40 games in 2 seasons. If we can keep him fit he could be a good addition to the squad.
Like his older cousin he's only a wee lad but could be just the diamond in the rough/late developer type that we need to be looking for. I'm guessing free and assuming cheap, probably a no brainer cheap squad player that has potential to make himself a first team player.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Markh84 wrote:I've heard a rumour that we are signing ex Plymouth winger Isaac Vassell. Since leaving Plymouth he has been playing for Truro where he has scored 20 goals in 40 apps over the last 2 seasons. I asked a friend who is a Truro Fan about him and he said he is very good player but has had an issue with a groin problem, hence why he has only played 40 games in 2 seasons. If we can keep him fit he could be a good addition to the squad.
Think he would be the sort of player that kev likes the look of.. wont be looking for a chunk of a wage, local, young, got goals in him.. not too shabby..plus we are in need of a winger/striker :)
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Would be a decent signing (if he can stay fit) but Masters is quoted as saying in March they want a big fee for him if he is to leave so not sure what would have changed so we could pick him up for free!
TUST member 328
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

So with a few weeks left here is the squad as it stands:

Keeper
Moore
Robba

Left Back
LRT
Nicho (as cover only!)
Mcginty can also cover this position

Right back
Verma
+1 needed (until Berry is back?)

Centre Back
MacDonald
Mcginty
Gerring

LRT can also cover this position

Centre Mid:
Lathrope
Young
Chaney
Duke
Richards

Verma can also cover this postion

Wingers:
Sparkes
+1 needed
Hancox
perhaps Chaney could do a job as cover?

Strikers
Blissett
Williams
Reid (3 month loan)

TOTAL - 18 (19 when Berry is fit and if he signs terms)

I think perhaps we might be able to get one more in (right winger ideally) but I doubt we will see anymore additions (unless he can get a freebie in on loan). Perhaps Chamberlain might get non-contract terms as a 4th striker but I wonder if he will be able to take this option income wise. Hopefully one of the midfielders signed can do a shift at right back or if the worst happens we could get a quick loan in (I think McD played RB for a time whilst at Salisbury if we get to a desperation level).
Last edited by Richinns on 25 Jul 2016, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Unless we have a very good right winger coming in then personally I'd rather see a new right back and Verma in midfield than Verma at right back and a new midfielder.

We look good in goal, most of midfield and up front, but defence looks a bit thin on players, so a proper right back would definitely help, as well as freeing up our most versitile player to play somewhere else. Without a new right back, Verma has to play there and so we lose all of that.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Gulliball wrote:Unless we have a very good right winger coming in then personally I'd rather see a new right back and Verma in midfield than Verma at right back and a new midfielder.

We look good in goal, most of midfield and up front, but defence looks a bit thin on players, so a proper right back would definitely help, as well as freeing up our most versitile player to play somewhere else. Without a new right back, Verma has to play there and so we lose all of that.
Verma looked every bit a decent right back in the run in last season and I was even more convinced when I saw him play there again against Argyle in pre-season. I agree with what you are saying and it is an area of concern should Verma get injured/lose form or suspended but for me it is less urgent than an extra wide player. In reality we have only Sparkes who can play this role as Hancox is learning his trade and Chaney looks far better centrally. Verma is also never a naturally wide man if you played him in midfield and brought in a right back. Richards is also not a wide player.

Berry is making decent progress and may be back slightly sooner than the New Year so I wonder if we have to take a risk squad wise whether this is area to do in in rather than not providing the team the option of natural width.
TUST member 328