The European Union: We're out...!!!

General chat about anything else goes here.

The European Union: In or Out?

Poll ended at 07 Aug 2016, 15:29

1. The UK should stay in the EU.
30%
2. The UK should leave the EU.
70%

Total votes: 335

BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

Gulliball wrote:I've just voted, although it was in pencil so probably won't count. My 93 year old mother shouted hers out, which definitely won't.
And then all the MI5 agents cheered and put their rubbers down.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Alpine Joe wrote:'If you do decide to vote remain be very clear. You have no right to complain you can't get a doctor's appointment or a place in primary school. In four years' time, all primary schools will be full.

You have no right to a view on the dearth of housing or the strain on the NHS. Because you sided with the people who said unchecked immigration is a positive thing for Britain.

If you are voting remain you have no right to respond to terror with sympathy; your hashtags, your sad faces and your vigils in a public square. The only thing I want to hear from you is 'I was wrong'. Because you voted with the idiots who said we are safer IN.

And if you are voting remain because you are worried about short term pain. Think about the cancer you diagnosed for this country'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -back.html
That decides it for me, if Katie Hopkins says leave, I'll remain.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

It doesn't matter what way the vote, why?
1) if we vote to remain the tories will almost certainly replace Dave with a rabid europhobe who will likely win the 2020 general election with the promise of a new referendum.
2) if we vote leave, people will soon be moaning because things didn't turn out like their fantasies. The foreigners will still be here, gay marriage will still be legal, political correctness will still be prevalent, the British Empire will still be buried in the sand.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Trojan 67 wrote:"We will not go quietly into the night!
We will not vanish without a fight!
We're going to live on!
We're going to survive!"

June 23rd 2016 : UKID (United Kingdom Independence Day)

I kid you not

:engflag:
yes yes YES :clap:

:bow:

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_r ... um/results

The Torbay vote (Leave 63.2% / Remain 36.8%) mirrors almost precisely the torquayfans.com poll.

:clap:

:bow:

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Final national vote:

Remain: 16,141,241 (48.1%)
Leave: 17,410,742 (51.9%)

Happy happy day..!! Great opportunities now open up for our country and its people to engage with the whole world, as well as co-operating with our friends in Europe, but free and independent of the anti-democratic European political Union, controlling our own affairs, our own borders, and our own destiny.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Cam-moron to resign : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36615028 :clap:

Boris! Boris! Boris! :clap:

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Working on the nightshift last night, around 3am when it started to look a win for leave I truly never thought working over night could so enjoyable, Oh the sweet smell of freedom.

Love the way many are crying over the pound like they've morphed into expert currency traders overnight :) Once the markets realise project fears forecast that our skin would turn pink, our hair brown, we'd be invaded by mutant alien swordfish, if we voted to leave the EU, and world war 3 will not start at 3pm today, they'll recover so don't worry ladies.

If you want someone to blame remainers, just look at arrogant politicians in this country and across the EU, the warnings were there for all to see if you weren't blind. UKIP received 4 million votes at the last election how they all scoffed because under first past the post that led to UKIP only returning 1 MP, but on votes alone UKIP were the third largest party.

Then at the Welsh assembly there was a huge swing to UKIP, but once again they scoffed, Wales isn't Euro sceptic they said, that was a little protest that will go away . Well it didn't, and Cameron, Osbourne, Corbyn, Junker, Shultz, Merkel, you should have listened, though shit now, we're off.
Formerly known as forevertufc
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

Congratulations to those who wanted to leave. Although I voted to remain, I will support you all in ensuring the government upholds the result of this referendum. This is an important day for democracy in this country and I'm very pleased there was a high turnout. I hope that we can make this work!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Trojan 67 wrote:Cam-moron to resign : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36615028 :clap:

Boris! Boris! Boris! :clap:

Good God no. He was only in the Leave camp as a trojan horse anyway ;-)
Dave

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Good God no. He was only in the Leave camp as a trojan horse anyway ;-)
:lol:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

BobBobBob wrote:This is an important day for democracy in this country and I'm very pleased there was a high turnout.
Unfortunately the nationalist elements in our country seem to accept a democratic decision only when it suits them. Already the SNP is calling for another Scottish independence referendum and Martin McGuinness wants something similar in Northern Ireland. I have no problem with people in democratic societies continuing to espouse the causes they hold dear, but independence referendums are once-in-a-generation decisions. Those who are less democratic than they wish to appear are happy, it seems, to hold referendums every couple of years until they get the result they want. Thereafter, you can be sure, they will hold no more! What mystifies me is why they want 'independence' from the UK, but are happy for their nations to ultimately lose their identities as they are subsumed into an anti-democratic EU superstate.

Part of me actually dreams of the SNP taking Scotland out of a free, independent, sovereign and democratic UK and into an increasingly totalitarian EU, with all that such a move entails, and in which democracy there is increasingly recognised as a complete sham. I can imagine the Scottish people, when the Euro in their pockets is worthless and they are unable to vote their rulers out of office, realising they have been hoodwinked, and turning on the SNP with a vengeance. I pray that the SNP fails in its aims; I would not wish such a hell on Scotland and its people.

There is an optimum size for a modern self-governing nation state. Over the centuries we on these islands evolved to get it just about right. Not always peacefully, to be sure, but we settled our differences. We are one family, with an evolved modern common language, with traditional and successful trade links with not only Europe but with the whole world. For any one of our home nations to go its own way would be a retrograde step and would benefit nobody. Unlike the unfortunate citizens of the EU nations, we in these islands, even if we don't always get it right, are truly better together, and we face a bright future together in the modern global world.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Gullscorer wrote: Unfortunately the nationalist elements in our country seem to accept a democratic decision only when it suits them. Already the SNP is calling for another Scottish independence referendum and Martin McGuinness wants something similar in Northern Ireland. I have no problem with people in democratic societies continuing to espouse the causes they hold dear, but independence referendums are once-in-a-generation decisions. Those who are less democratic than they wish to appear are happy, it seems, to hold referendums every couple of years until they get the result they want. Thereafter, you can be sure, they will hold no more! What mystifies me is why they want 'independence' from the UK, but are happy for their nations to ultimately lose their identities as they are subsumed into an anti-democratic EU superstate.

This is idiotic.
Scotland voted to stay in the UK based largely on the assumption that getting EU membership on their own would be a long difficult road. 62% of the Scottish electorate voted Remain in the EU referendum. If they were led to believe that the only realistic way for them to stay a part of the EU was by staying part of the UK, and that has now been removed, they have every right to demand a new referendum.

Northern Ireland also voted to Remain. Now that they'll be forced out of the EU, they have every right to explore other avenues. Northern Ireland itself was really only ever a political construct, so it seemed pretty likely that at some point the reunification might be on the agenda. This simply accelerates that. They've not had a referendum yet, either.

The problem with direct democracy like this is that the a lot of the people who vote won't be around to see the results of their actions. Overwhelming, the under 50s voted to Remain, and it's they who'll have to deal with the isolation, while the big Leave voters will shuffle off this mortal coil beforehand, presumably while smugly muttering that they showed Johnny Foreigner what's up.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This comes as no surprise at all, and why so many just didn't believe the scaremongering.

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/6 ... ide-the-EU
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

happytorq wrote:
This is idiotic.
Scotland voted to stay in the UK based largely on the assumption that getting EU membership on their own would be a long difficult road. 62% of the Scottish electorate voted Remain in the EU referendum. If they were led to believe that the only realistic way for them to stay a part of the EU was by staying part of the UK, and that has now been removed, they have every right to demand a new referendum.

Northern Ireland also voted to Remain. Now that they'll be forced out of the EU, they have every right to explore other avenues. Northern Ireland itself was really only ever a political construct, so it seemed pretty likely that at some point the reunification might be on the agenda. This simply accelerates that. They've not had a referendum yet, either.

The problem with direct democracy like this is that the a lot of the people who vote won't be around to see the results of their actions. Overwhelming, the under 50s voted to Remain, and it's they who'll have to deal with the isolation, while the big Leave voters will shuffle off this mortal coil beforehand, presumably while smugly muttering that they showed Johnny Foreigner what's up.
This really bugs me. For some people this isn't about economics or immigration it's about trying to stop the senseless march into slavery. Being patriotic isn't racist, being proud of your heritage isn't racist, wanting to retain a national identity isn't being racist. Wanting to have some say in our future and holding onto a feint hope that the masses will wake up from their slumber has nothing to do with racism and it's pretty pathetic for most remain supporters to keep trotting out the same old claptrap.
Dave