New Owners

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

OllieGull wrote:http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html
Looks promising I guess...
Is it?

Scares me to think they only seem interested in one thing which is making business profit and seem to have little interest on the playing side of the club. Are they just funding the club to a certain level whilst the stadium (and land associated with the club moving on) are sorted out? Once built and TUFC officially becoming 'tenants' to the Riviera Stadium - what then?

They seem content to let the current board continue in situ - is this for what they perceive as the good of the club or is it because they have sold 'the dream' to them already and have little to no interest in the club itself - just the opportunities available through owning TUFC?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

I mean promising in terms of the takeover looking like it'll finally be completed soon, agree about the stadium though but can't read too much into it.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Richinns wrote: Is it?

Scares me to think they only seem interested in one thing which is making business profit and seem to have little interest on the playing side of the club. Are they just funding the club to a certain level whilst the stadium (and land associated with the club moving on) are sorted out? Once built and TUFC officially becoming 'tenants' to the Riviera Stadium - what then?

They seem content to let the current board continue in situ - is this for what they perceive as the good of the club or is it because they have sold 'the dream' to them already and have little to no interest in the club itself - just the opportunities available through owning TUFC?
............. and STILL no explanation why Steve Breed has been jettisoned, nor any words of gratitude for what he did for the club last season. Someone will be requred to run the day-to-day business of a football club, whether he or she is called a chief executive or not. Who will it be? On the face of it, I think Steve has been treated appalingly and I truly hope he has not been driven away from the club he loves. Like Richinns, I feel very uneasy by this proposed takeover.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

It looks like we're going for an old fashioned model of Chairman and Manager running the club. No reason why it shouldn't work, both seem more than capable.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

There's a surprise, Chairman and Board members allowed to keep their positions just like I forecast a month ago. It's becoming more and more obvious that GI have zero interest in the club and that Phillips and co have been duped into supporting a deal that suits their personal needs over those of the club. Surely there's an obvious conflict of interest that has serious repercussions for the club. We already have a fit for purpose ground, any benefits from moving will be purely for GI not TUFC.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote:There's a surprise, Chairman and Board members allowed to keep their positions just like I forecast a month ago. It's becoming more and more obvious that GI have zero interest in the club and that Phillips and co have been duped into supporting a deal that suits their personal needs over those of the club. Surely there's an obvious conflict of interest that has serious repercussions for the club. We already have a fit for purpose ground, any benefits from moving will be purely for GI not TUFC.
I do agree and hope the Chairman and directors have not agreed to this just to stay in charge. A takeover is for investment into the club not to sit back and watch others do it.
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

Didn't you also forecast Nicho to be replaced by Harrop not long ago?

I don't think anyone yet knows the intentions of GI, but without them the club would not exist, you can call me simple but if it boils down to them or no club I'm of the opinion we may as well get behind them.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

"Southampton Gull"]There's a surprise, Chairman and Board members allowed to keep their positions just like I forecast a month ago. It's becoming more and more obvious that GI have zero interest in the club and that Phillips and co have been duped into supporting a deal that suits their personal needs over those of the club. Surely there's an obvious conflict of interest that has serious repercussions for the club. We already have a fit for purpose ground, any benefits from moving will be purely for GI not TUFC.[/quote]
:goodpost:

Exactly
TUST MEMBER
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

KeithMalone wrote:Didn't you also forecast Nicho to be replaced by Harrop not long ago?

I don't think anyone yet knows the intentions of GI, but without them the club would not exist, you can call me simple but if it boils down to them or no club I'm of the opinion we may as well get behind them.
SG was betting on a reverse forecast like in greyhound racing. So he won hands down logically.
Lucy
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

KeithMalone wrote:Didn't you also forecast Nicho to be replaced by Harrop not long ago.
Yes I did. That was before it became public knowledge that he'd been trying to tempt players to the club by telling them the same thing. If you choose to believe it was me making up something out of thin air that's your choice. I also said Nicholson would keep us up if he was able to sign players of his choosing, even named Blissett and Harrad among others long before they signed. I'm more than happy to stand by my warning about Harrop.

Stick your head back in the sand but don't say you weren't warned.
Dave

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I'll tell you what legitimate business (organised crime) thinks of TUFC and its supporters : TUFC is a means of making money by other means and its supporters are an inconvenient turd on the bottom of their corporate (criminal) boot.

TUFC gain nothing by being removed from Plainmoor. Torquay gains nothing by its Association Football Club being removed from Plainmoor.

Clowns to the left, jokers to the right. Scum in the crosshairs.

Does scum out for profit feel lucky?

See gull (flocking loads) OUT FOR JUSTICE.

:B
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

KeithMalone wrote:Didn't you also forecast Nicho to be replaced by Harrop not long ago?

It was on the cards but Nicho put them in a difficult position.
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

Southampton Gull wrote: Yes I did. That was before it became public knowledge that he'd been trying to tempt players to the club by telling them the same thing. If you choose to believe it was me making up something out of thin air that's your choice. I also said Nicholson would keep us up if he was able to sign players of his choosing, even named Blissett and Harrad among others long before they signed. I'm more than happy to stand by my warning about Harrop.

Stick your head back in the sand but don't say you weren't warned.
So essentially you are saying you post what you hear on the rumour mill, but you are so sure in your opinion on this one that anybody choosing not to listen is "sticking their head in the sand". Interesting, if we have learned nothing else from Nicholson's first season in charge it is that we should let things materialise before jumping to a rash conclusion.

The facts remain that the current board cannot afford to run this football club (the accounts show this). Without investment Torquay United do not exist in the Conference in the upcoming season. GI look to have provided this investment so whether they have an agenda or not they are better than not having investment in place.

Whilst we may not want to accept that we need GI for footballing purposes we do need them for financial purposes and as we all know football clubs are businesses that means we need GI to exist at National League level next season which is what Kevin and the team fought for last season, to not accept this is...... sticking your head in the sand
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

To be fair, SouthamptonGull was telling everyone to let things materialise before jumping to a rash conclusion about two months ago. I'm guessing he's got some concrete information he can't share that has made him change his mind. Maybe Dave Phillips turned out to be Bill Phillips in disguise!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

KeithMalone wrote: So essentially you are saying you post what you hear on the rumour mill, but you are so sure in your opinion on this one that anybody choosing not to listen is "sticking their head in the sand". Interesting, if we have learned nothing else from Nicholson's first season in charge it is that we should let things materialise before jumping to a rash conclusion.

The facts remain that the current board cannot afford to run this football club (the accounts show this). Without investment Torquay United do not exist in the Conference in the upcoming season. GI look to have provided this investment so whether they have an agenda or not they are better than not having investment in place.

Whilst we may not want to accept that we need GI for footballing purposes we do need them for financial purposes and as we all know football clubs are businesses that means we need GI to exist at National League level next season which is what Kevin and the team fought for last season, to not accept this is...... sticking your head in the sand
Giving preference to a bid over others when that bid gives you a chance to keep your seat in the boardroom is not and never should be the most important facet of an offer to buy the club. All this bid by GI has done is put the club at the mercy of money men who have already shown how much interest they have in the club. We are a means to an end,, if you can't see the risks then you will have to just keep digging an ever deepening hole for that head of yours. Short term air of prosperity followed by the harsh reality, these people are gambling with the very future of the club.
Dave