Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

samuel wrote:Histon 4 Torquay 5 was one of mine. Was behind the goal when todays opposition manager Chris Todd got the winner. A cracking game from start to finish.

Mine also ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

As I say, wish I'd gone to it. I went to the Kiddy 5-2 game four days later, but the Histon match is just crazy.

Another game I really remember for sheer madness hasn't actually featured on the list, but the win at FGR when Sillsy ended up in goal and we scored in the 93rd minute. Despite not going, this was close to appearing on my list as it is ridiculous that we ended up winning in the circumstances!
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Plymouth Gull - did the Walsall cup game make it? If ever there was a mad game that has to be up there with the best/worst of them! Something along the lines of it being 3-3 and about to go into extra time when we hit both posts and it went out... then they crushed us 8-4 (I think) in extra time! So close.
Happy to be corrected.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

You'll have to wait and see!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 9th: Torquay United 4 - 3 Aldershot Town - 2012/13

37 points, 6 votes (3+9+6+6+9+4)

League 2
Tuesday 2nd October 2012
Plainmoor
Attendance: 2358

Torquay:
Michael Poke, Joe Oastler, Aaron Downes, Brian Saah, Kevin Nicholson, Lee Mansell, Nathan Craig, Danny Stevens, Niall Thompson, Rene Howe, Billy Bodin. Subs: Ryan Jarvis, Ashley Yeoman, Martin Rice, Daniel Leadbitter, Tom Cruise, Kirtys MacKenzie, Carl Baker

Torquay scorers: Billy Bodin, Ryan Jarvis, Ashley Yeoman, Rene Howe
Aldershot scorers: Craig Reid (3)

---

No surprise to see this feature highly. Aldershot came to Plainmoor really out of form, and the fans wanted a change of management at the club. However, Dean Holdsworth remained in a job. They came to Devon and should have gone home with 3 points and a comfortable victory. Craig Reid hit a hat trick inside 47 minutes to put the Shots 3-0 up. The first was a conversion from a free kick, the second a penalty and the third came from close range. Within two minutes of Reid's third, United got one back through Bodin. Substitute Ryan Jarvis made it 2-3 just past the hour. The pressure continued and another substitute, Ashley Yeoman, got the equaliser with 7 minutes to go. As if that wasn't enough, United won the game in stoppage time as Rene Howe banged home from 25 yards.

This was the best comeback I've ever seen - much like the Lincoln match that featured on this list - coming from 3 goals down to win is a special achievement and so it isn't a surprise this game picked up a few votes.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

8th: Carlisle United 1 - 2 Torquay United - 2005/06

39 points, 7 votes (6+5+3+6+10+4+5)

League 2
Saturday 29th April 2006
Brunton Park
Attendance: 13467

Torquay:
Andy Marriott, Matt Villis, Steve Woods, Craig Taylor, Stephen Reed, Martin Phillips, Darren Garner, Danny Hollands, Kevin Hill, Jo Kuffour, Lee Thorpe. Subs: Morike Sako, Matt Hockley, Paul Robinson, Anthony Lloyd, Alan Connell.

Carlisle scorer: Zigor Aranalde
Torquay scorers: Kevin Hill, Jo Kuffour

----

One of my favourite matches, this one, so I'm delighted to see it in the top 10. This was a truly ridiculous match to watch. Carlisle sold out Brunton Park, fully expecting to win the match, which would in turn see them be presented with the League 2 Championship trophy. There were probably 300 or so Gulls in the North West, more in hope than expectation of a result (I know I certainly was!). It was a bloody hot day on that open terrace too. United had had a bit of a recovery under Ian Atkins, but a trip to the league leaders wasn't expected to be of use in our first against the drop. So it was major shock when Kevin Hill headed us 1-0 up inside 10 minutes. The terrace went berserk. However, that wasn't all. United were playing with confidence and looked like causing their hosts problems every time we went forward. Just before half time, Jo Kuffour controlled a high ball, turned in the box and slotted into the corner - it was 2-0 and the away end went completely mad. Certainly I don't recall seeing goal celebrations like that - many of us rushed to the front of the stand in shock at what was happening.

After half time, and I mean literally straight after, Carlisle pulled one back. This started the alamo - wave after wave after wave of home attack came towards us, and it was a case of waiting for the inevitable equaliser. We thought it came but it was disallowed. After 45 minutes of constant home pressure (I'm not sure if we reached their penalty area all half?), the final whistle went and we had won the match! Carlisle fans invaded the pitch and walked towards the terrace - I was initially fearful. However they were applauding us, we were applauding them. I seem to recall someone with a microphone but I'm can't remember what was said - but I remember it being very friendly from both sets of fans.

This was a special day to be a Gull, and a worthy inclusion this high up.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Yes, Carlisle away was special and it was made even better by results elsewhere as it left us needing just a point from the last match.

The ground was one of those old fashioned ones with a main stand that could have been a listed building. The stand to our left was a bit strange though as it carried on over our shoulders past the pitch showing that plans for redevelopment had either stalled or been changed.
Uberwozza-san
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Uberwozza-san »

Carlisle was also a special trip and definitely traveled more in hope than expectation. Amazing game and then at the end there was definitely NOT a friendly atmosphere when 3,000 of them came towards us. Think we started applauding them and then they were fine but was touch and go for a minute.

Seem to recall i had my one and only call on 606 on the way back, when i was telling the world what a genius Atkins was.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

7th: Torquay United 3 - 1 Plymouth Argyle - 2011/12

52 points, 10 votes (8+7+9+3+3+1+4+3+8+6)

League 2
Saturday 19th November 2011
Plainmoor
Attendance: 3983

Torquay:
Bobby Olejnik, Joe Oastler, Brian Saah, Mark Ellis, Kevin Nicholson, Damon Lathrope, Lee Mansell, Eunan O'Kane, Billy Bodin, Danny Stevens, Rene Howe. Subs: Martin Rice, Chris Robertson, Ian Morris, Chris McPhee, Taiwo Atieno.

Torquay scorers: Eunan O'Kane (2), Danny Stevens
Plymouth scorer: Will Atkinson

----

The home leg of our double over Plymouth in 2011/12 is next to feature. This was our first league win over the Greens for just under four decades, so it isn't a shock to see this feature highly. And the game was won in a memorable way too! Just shy of 4000 crammed into a 3-sided Plainmoor for this one, so I think I'm right in saying it was just shy of a sell out(?). The Greens, at their lowest ebb for a number of years, were struggling in the league, while Martin Ling had revitalised Torquay with a solid run of form since the end of October.

The first half of the game was cagey. Both sides forced some chances but it was very much a midfield dominated game. It needed something to happen to really open it up. However, I don't think anyone expected to see what happened at the start of the second half, as the match was won by United, and Eunan O'Kane. Two minutes after half time, the young Irishman fired the Gulls ahead, with a superb volley from the edge of the box after Argyle failed to clear Rene Howe's cross. Plainmoor erupted (well, two sides of it!). Before things could really calm down, it was 2-0, and it was O'Kane again. He received the ball 40 yards from goal, turned, and chipped Romain Larrieu. The ball floated into the back of the net - and Plainmoor went bonkers. Two excellent finishes inside the first five minutes of the second half killed the game from Argyle's perspective, and it was done in a hugely impressive manner too.

United were rampant now, flooding forward at every opportunity. Danny Stevens made it 3-0 with a good solo run and finish past Larrieu. Argyle pulled a consolation back in the last 10 minutes, but they deserved no more than that - this was the day that Torquay United ended a 39 year old hoodoo - and it was done in style to match!
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

The Carlisle game. Had more forum users been there then this match would have rated much higher, I am sure. I gave it 10 simply because it was the most exciting game I have ever seen, bar none. I can always remember the Carlisle captain sprinting out on the pitch for the second half, they meant business. It was true, the second half was like the Somme. We couldn't get out of the penalty area let alone our half. The team fought, scrapped, threw themselves into the fray, it was fantastic - real fighters. There was so much riding on this game. Am I right in saying that had we lost we would have been relegated? What servants of the club Hilly and Jo Kuffor were, loved those players. The euphoria when the referee blew his whistle was incredible. I would like to meet Ian Atkins and thank him personally for keeping my little team in the league - I owe him big time.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

6th: Blackpool 2 - 2 Torquay United - 1990/1991

66 points, 10 votes (7+6+5+5+9+5+8+7+7+7)

Division 4 Playoff Final
31st May 1991
Wembley Stadium
Attendance: 21615

Torquay: Gareth Howells, Chris Curran, Paul Holmes, Wes Saunders, Matt Elliott, Sean Joyce, Chris Myers, Micky Holmes, Stewart Evans, Dean Edwards, Mark Loram.

Blackpool scorers: Paul Groves, Chris Curran (O.G)
Torquay scorers: Wes Saunders, Dean Edwards

----

The Gulls second ever visit to Wembley is next to feature, this one ending in victory for United. After a 7th placed finish in Division 4 in 1990/91, we found ourselves in the playoffs. We met Burnley over the two-legged semi-final, winning 2-0 at Plainmoor before losing 1-0 in Lancashire. This saw us through to play against Blackpool for a place in Division 3. Blackpool had finished 5th, just short of the automatic promotion spots (4 auto spots at that point). Blackpool led at half time thanks to Paul Groves and a Chris Curran own goal, while Wes Saunders had scored for United. In the second half, Dean Edwards scored to make it two Wembley appearances and two goals for him, following on from the 1989 Sherpa Van Trophy Final.

The game ended at 2-2, and so it went to extra time. The sides couldn't be separated again, and so it was the dreaded shootout. Mark Loram was first to go, and he missed. Fortunately, the same happened to Tony Rodwell. United went on to score all of their remaining penalties - Paul Holmes, Wes Saunders, Paul Holmes, Chris Myers and goalkeeper Gareth Howells(!) all finding the net. Blackpool matched this run, until top scorer Dave Bamber stepped up and sent his shot wide - and United were promoted!!

Torquay vs Blackpool Highlights:
Torquay vs Blackpool Penalty Shootout:

Enjoy!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

The Night of the Kettle.
I was there! And I must admit it was a good 'un. Being loath to admit that anything after 1972 was any good at all, I have to contradict myself here; it was a great day out and a very, very exciting match. What a pity Mr. Bateson didn't put more money in a get some decent Div. 3 players as we were relegated immediately next season.
Incidentally, one of the Blackpool penalty-takers has some claim to be the worst - and slowest - player ever to play for United (he came later, a season or two after this match). I'm talking about Gore. While not quite in the Coombe/Andrews/Tonge league, he was really, really poor.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

It was one of my choices. I remember hugging a builder when Bamber missed, strange things we do.

And then (for a while) BRF became part of Torquay's folklore.
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

samuel wrote:The Carlisle game. Had more forum users been there then this match would have rated much higher, I am sure. I gave it 10 simply because it was the most exciting game I have ever seen, bar none. I can always remember the Carlisle captain sprinting out on the pitch for the second half, they meant business. It was true, the second half was like the Somme. We couldn't get out of the penalty area let alone our half. The team fought, scrapped, threw themselves into the fray, it was fantastic - real fighters. There was so much riding on this game. Am I right in saying that had we lost we would have been relegated? What servants of the club Hilly and Jo Kuffor were, loved those players. The euphoria when the referee blew his whistle was incredible. I would like to meet Ian Atkins and thank him personally for keeping my little team in the league - I owe him big time.
I had forgotten about the Carlisle game, but any match where Tyrone from Corrie is paraded before the crowd should stick in the memory - Not quite up there with the farce when Julie Goodyear was paraded at Plainmoor with Fash, but still memorable! The second half of this game seemed to take about three days! Andy Marriott was superb in goal - as he was for the entire run in.

Atkins did indeed pull off the escape of all escapes in my opinion. Not everyone liked his style of football, but I wish he'd have stayed. Prior to the Roberts circus making us a laughing stock we were looking relatively comfortable in League 2. Atkins had done really well in the summer to persuade Jamie Ward to sign for us ahead of some pretty stiff competition. I think he could have done something with TUFC given the right backing. I remember Atkins giving an interview after the Peterborough match just before he left - He seemed to have already sussed what kind of character Roberts was. A missed opportunity for Torquay, just like Warnock (although I'm not sure that was ever a realistic option).

Added in 27 minutes 11 seconds:
wivelgull wrote:The Night of the Kettle.
What a crazy season that was - Mike Bateson had just taken over and had all the enthusiasm that you want from a new Chairman - decent signings in Saunders and Tynan - I think there was even an attempt to sign Luther Blissett, although that may have just been a publicity stunt.

We had that fantastic unbeaten start - I remember putting the League table Ceefax page on hold when it covered the top of our league and just staring at it. We were eight points clear at one stage I recall. We then went on the terrible run that saw Smith losing his job and eight players being put on the transfer list - including Tynan and Loram - Tynan made his feelings known by sticking two fingers up at the board after scoring a late winner at home to Darlo.

In the end we scraped into the Play Offs and managed to get to Wembley after a horrible Play off second leg away at Burnley - the constant pressure was just like the Carlisle match covered above only for the entire 90 minutes!

I thought the Wembley final was a really good quality game - To win on penalties was rather apt given the season that we had had. God knows what really happened between Saunders and Tynan in the run up to the final - Maybe Tommy just felt that he'd make Wes an early morning cup of tea after a late night game of cards and maybe he just slipped whilst holding the kettle?! Bizarre times! I have some recollection of a rumour that either Tynan (or his wife) kicked off again during the club's celebration dinner and were asked to leave? May be wrong. Great game and a great night to be a Gull anyway.
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

Plymouth Gull wrote:JOINT 9th: Torquay United 4 - 3 Aldershot Town - 2012/13

37 points, 6 votes (3+9+6+6+9+4)

League 2
Tuesday 2nd October 2012
Plainmoor
Attendance: 2358

Torquay:
Michael Poke, Joe Oastler, Aaron Downes, Brian Saah, Kevin Nicholson, Lee Mansell, Nathan Craig, Danny Stevens, Niall Thompson, Rene Howe, Billy Bodin. Subs: Ryan Jarvis, Ashley Yeoman, Martin Rice, Daniel Leadbitter, Tom Cruise, Kirtys MacKenzie, Carl Baker

Torquay scorers: Billy Bodin, Ryan Jarvis, Ashley Yeoman, Rene Howe
Aldershot scorers: Craig Reid (3)

---

No surprise to see this feature highly. Aldershot came to Plainmoor really out of form, and the fans wanted a change of management at the club. However, Dean Holdsworth remained in a job. They came to Devon and should have gone home with 3 points and a comfortable victory. Craig Reid hit a hat trick inside 47 minutes to put the Shots 3-0 up. The first was a conversion from a free kick, the second a penalty and the third came from close range. Within two minutes of Reid's third, United got one back through Bodin. Substitute Ryan Jarvis made it 2-3 just past the hour. The pressure continued and another substitute, Ashley Yeoman, got the equaliser with 7 minutes to go. As if that wasn't enough, United won the game in stoppage time as Rene Howe banged home from 25 yards.

This was the best comeback I've ever seen - much like the Lincoln match that featured on this list - coming from 3 goals down to win is a special achievement and so it isn't a surprise this game picked up a few votes.
I didn't vote in this thing what with being on the other side of the planet and thus only ever having seen a handful of Torquay United games on dodgy internet streams. But if I had to vote for one Torquay United game which holds a special place in my heart, not even having actually seen it, this would be the one. Look at the date this game was played up there ^^^^^^^^^^ and then look at the date I joined this forum over there >>>>>>>>>. Not a coincidence.

It was this game that turned me from someone who VERY casually followed Torquay United as a lark with no real emotional attachment to the club into someone who lives and dies with every game. As this game was being played I was planted in front of the television watching a Champions League game featuring that other English soccer (er, football) club I support, Manchester United. (I know. Manchester United. BOOOOOOOOO!) As I watched I had my laptop next to me with the matchday thread on this here forum open as that was really the only way for me to ever keep up with a Torquay game. I wasn't a serious Torquay fan so I didn't have Gulls Player and couldn't listen to the game. I had just barely dipped a toe into the waters of this newfangled thing called Twitter but back in those days the official club account barely ever tweeted anything and, unfamiliar as I was with the thing, damned if I knew how to find anybody who actually did tweet stuff about the club. So, it was this forum or bust. When Torquay went 3-0 down suffice to say I was no longer paying attention and was instead totally locked in on Manchester United's epic struggle with the mighty CFR Cluj. Torquay scored. Eh, still 3-1 down, who cares. Scored again. OK, now you've got my interest. Finally with 7 minutes to go comes the equalizer. Now I forget Manchester United are even playing. I'm refreshing this forum every 30 seconds. I'm totally hooked. This Torquay United thing isn't a lark anymore. I care! And then, in stoppage time, the winner! I start clapping and cheering and hooting and hollering. This was the most exciting, thrilling, amazing, stupendous, wonderful, memorable game...that I actually didn't see.

So then things changed. The next day I signed up for this forum, just to thank the people who had made following that matchday thread so enjoyable. Never really intended to post anything again as I figured someone who couldn't actually see (or at that point even hear) the games wouldn't really have anything to say. But as the years have gone by I've dived headfirst into the Torquay United experience. The rest of that 2012-13 season I followed every matchday thread on here religiously. I started ignoring Premier League games to follow a club I couldn't even see play. When a hurricane blew through here a few weeks after the Aldershot game and I was without power for days the first thing I did when I finally got an Internet connection was check to see the result of Torquay's FA Cup game. We'd lost. To Harrogate Town. Maybe then I should've known supporting this club was going to be, shall we say, challenging at times. The next season I signed up for Gulls Player. I was going to listen to every single game. I was going to be a real Torquay United fan. Silly me, I expected great things from the club then, it was going to be an exciting season. The club was destined for a glorious rise. Well, that hasn't quite gone as expected. But I'm in, and I'm staying in, wherever this ride goes. Every Saturday morning the first thing I do is fire up the laptop and tune in to the Torquay United game. Weekday games mean I'm glued to my Twitter feed when I'm theoretically "working." Hey, the club (and I) have actually figured out the Twitter thing by now! Snob that I am I hardly follow anyone on Twitter. Of the mere 77 people I follow 8 of them are Torquay United related. I'm following more people because of Torquay United than because of anything else. And I created a Torquay United Twitter list so I could keep up with MORE people who tweet about Torquay United. I read any article I can find about the club online. I gobble up every available morsel of information about the club. I am well and truly obsessed with this 5th-tier club that plays in a little English town I've never been within 3,000 miles of. And it all goes back to Torquay United 4 - 3 Aldershot Town on October 2nd, 2012. (Sorry about writing the date like an American but I am, you know, American.) That day I sat down to watch my club, Manchester United, barely sparing a thought about a Torquay United game that happened to be going on at the same time. Now, my club is Torquay United. I'll watch a Manchester United game...but only if the Gulls aren't playing.
Last edited by njgull on 04 Apr 2016, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.