Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Playoff final v Cambridge will win.
The Spurs 3-3 draw was my number 1, but I think SB is right in that the play off final and promotion will be in the minds of more forum members than what may have happened 51 years ago. Hell was it that long ago?! Another strong contender I think will be that 4-1 play-off semi-final 2nd leg against Scarborough when Rodney Jack ran riot and finished them off within 5 minutes of the start of the game.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Plymouth Gull wrote:35th: Torquay United 3 - 0 Chester City - 1974/75

10 points, 1 vote

Division 4
31st March 1975
Plainmoor
Attendance: 3713

This match is the only match to receive 10 points from one vote. Again, it is another that is a long while ahead of my time. Looking at the results prior to this game, we were not up to much in terms of league position (I assume!). I can't remember who voted for this one but it finished top of their list so they must have thoroughly enjoyed it!
ah, Plymouth Gull that was mine.
My first ever game. Loved it. =D
However, a slight mistake on my part re it being my No 1 as I just sent you my list in chronological order and not a 1-10........ :Oops: =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote: The Spurs 3-3 draw was my number 1, but I think SB is right in that the play off final and promotion will be in the minds of more forum members than what may have happened 51 years ago. Hell was it that long ago?! Another strong contender I think will be that 4-1 play-off semi-final 2nd leg against Scarborough when Rodney Jack ran riot and finished them off within 5 minutes of the start of the game.
Another strong contender will be that play off final against Blackpool. What a hell of a match that was with the drama of a penalty shoot out to settle it.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:

ah, Plymouth Gull that was mine.
My first ever game. Loved it. =D
However, a slight mistake on my part re it being my No 1 as I just sent you my list in chronological order and not a 1-10........ :Oops: =D
This was our 3rd season back in Division 4 following 6 seasons in Division 3 challenging for promotion most of the time until relegation. It was the wilderness years of mid-table mediocrity where we had 12 seasons of finishing either 16th or 9th (just about!) although this particular season we finished 14th. After that we went from mediocrity to absolutely abysmal finishing bottom 2 seasons in a row followed by that last minute Crewe drama pushing us up to 23rd and avoiding the newly created trapdoor to the Conference. Then Saint Cyril arrived and things got better again! Certainly a roller coaster this club!

TORQUAY: Steve Middleton (on loan goalie after Mike Mahoney had been sold to Newcastle Utd for £30,000), Graham Parker, Phil Sandercock,Lew Chatterley, Pat Kruse, Dave Stocks, Andy Provan, Cliff Myers, Clint Boulton, Dave Kennedy, Willie Brown.

SCORERS: Stocks, Boulton, Chatterley
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

34th: Torquay United 4 - 0 AFC Bournemouth - 2002/03

10 points, 2 votes (5+5)

Division 3
Tuesday 29th October 2002
Plainmoor
Attendance: 3543

Torquay:
Kevin Dearden, Lee Canoville, Reuben Hazell, Dave Woozley, Matt Hockley, Tony Bedeau, Alex Russell, Jason Fowler, Kevin Hill, David Graham, Martin Gritton. Subs: Jamie Attwell, Jo Kuffour, Troy Douglin, Neil Prince, Paul Holmes.

Torquay scorers: Martin Gritton, David Graham (2), Alex Russell

----

A superb 4-0 win over the now Premier League AFC Bournemouth is next up. AFCB travelled to Plainmoor on the back of 9 unbeaten matches, while we had lost 4 in a row. The form book pointed to an away win, but as football often shows, the form book often gets thrown out of the window. United ran riot against their South Coast rivals, sending them back to Dorset with their tail firmly between their legs. Martin Gritton got the opener on 30 minutes, before strike partner Davey G added a second 3 minutes later. Midfield maestro Alex Russell made it 3-0 just after half time, and Graham was on hand to make it 4 with a quarter of an hour to go. These were Graham's 10th and 11th goals of the campaign, which came in just 13 matches. A superb win for United - while I didn't see it, it was memorable enough for two people!
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

wivelgull wrote:I rather think the 3-3 Spurs draw will win.
Doubt it given the age range of this forum. I'd bet it'll be either the Cambridge Play-Off final, Southend in 03/04, Barnet or Crewe in 87 (Bryn the dog).
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 33rd: Torquay United 1 - 0 Blackpool - 2008/09

10 points, 3 votes (3+3+4)

FA Cup 3rd Round
Saturday 3rd January 2009
Plainmoor
Attendance: 3654

Torquay:
Scott Bevan, Lee Mansell, Steve Woods, Lee Hodges, Kevin Nicholson, Wayne Carlisle, Nicky Wroe, Chris Hargreaves, Roscoe D'Sane, Tim Sills, Matt Green. Subs: Steve Adams, Chris Robertson, Danny Stevens, Mark Ellis, Tristan Plummer

Torquay scorer: Matt Green

An FA Cup 3rd Round upset is next up, as Torquay beat Blackpool at Plainmoor. The Tangerines, in the Championship, travelled to South Devon to face Paul Buckle's Conference high-fliers, and were sent packing after a 1-0 defeat. A superb individual goal from Matt Green won us the match. It was a fully deserved win too, and could have been more comfortable but Nicky Wroe blazed over when well positioned. I can't say I'm surprised to see this match feature, although slightly higher than I had anticipated, I must say.

------------------

JOINT 33rd: Aston Villa 0 - 1 Torquay United - 1970/71

Division 3
7th November 1970
Villa Park
Attendance: 28112

I can't find much information in terms of line ups for this one. However, I have heard many stories about this game. I am often told this was one of the days where wearing colours was NOT a wise option. Over 28,000 were at Villa Park to see Torquay win by a goal to nil. From my understanding, the Holte End started attacking the end where the Torquay fans were? It isn't a surprise for me to see this one feature towards the top 25 as it is one that often gets brought up.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

This is one of my choices.

The Villa team was packed with stars such as Andy Lockhead and Chico Hamilton (maybe they were fading a bit as they had dropped into the old third division). Their goalie was one of our ex players (John Dunne) but the goal was no gift. We'd matched them for 80 minutes and then came the goal. If I remember right it was a well hit daisy cutter from the edge of the area (or just outside) from the late Mickey Cave with about ten minutes left on the clock.

I was with other Torquay fans somewhere near the half way line and as we celebrated we realised that the Holte end was emptying of fans and they weren't going home either. There was no segregation of fans then and the area around us got even more crowded. Discretion being the better part, I stuffed my scarf well down out of sight for the remaining minutes and did my best to conceal my excitement.

I'd travelled down by train from Sheffield where I was studying at the time and walked to the ground from New Street station. The walk back to the station was very much 'incognito' and there was a lively atmosphere when I got there. I missed any fun and games as nobody suspected me of being from Torquay when I went to wait at a platform for a train to the north but I think that others weren't so lucky.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Plymouth Gull wrote:
JOINT 33rd: Aston Villa 0 - 1 Torquay United - 1970/71

Division 3
7th November 1970
Villa Park
Attendance: 28112

I can't find much information in terms of line ups for this one. However, I have heard many stories about this game. I am often told this was one of the days where wearing colours was NOT a wise option. Over 28,000 were at Villa Park to see Torquay win by a goal to nil. From my understanding, the Holte End started attacking the end where the Torquay fans were? It isn't a surprise for me to see this one feature towards the top 25 as it is one that often gets brought up.
TORQUAY: Mike Mahoney, Bob Glozier, Bill Kitchener, Mal Lucas, Dick Edwards, Allan Young, Micky Cave, Chris Barnard, John Rudge, Tommy Mitchinson, Alan Welsh; Sub: Ian Twitchin
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

The club organised a football special train for this one and I watched the match with my friend and his Dad from high up in the stands.
I recall the Cave goal as a rocket from outside the area,which Dunne didn't move for.We got pelted with coins from the Holte End at the end of the match and the train didn't leave to later in the evening,so we went into a restaurant somewhere near the station and left it to the last minute to walk there as it was pretty lively in the BullRing area.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

31st: Queens Park Rangers 1 - 1 Torquay United - 1999/2000

11 points, 2 votes (4+7)

FA Cup 3rd Round
11th December 1999
Loftus Road
Attendance: 8843

Torquay:
Neville Southall, Wayne Thomas, Lee Russell, Paul Holmes, Robbie Herrera, Jimmy Aggrey, Mick O'Brien, Chris Brandon, Kevin Hill, O'Neill Donaldson, Tony Bedeau. Subs: Mark Platts, Michael Griffiths, Ryan Northmore, Eifion Williams, Gary Neil

QPR scorer: Stewart Wardley
Torquay scorer: Mick O'Brien

An FA Cup 3rd Round trip to London is next up. QPR, two leagues above Torquay, welcomed the Gulls to Loftus Road, with most expecting a comfortable victory. It looked that way too as Stewart Wardley scored inside 10 minutes. QPR continued to lead for the majority of the game, but Torquay's Mick O'Brien equalised with 7 minutes to go. I've no idea if it was deserved or not, but we held on for a replay back at Plainmoor.

Wardley scored twice as QPR won 3-2 in Devon, going on to play London rivals Charlton in the next round.
pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by pnutgull »

Another of mine and an away day with one of the most exciting ends to a game.

Almost 1000 Torquay supporters were packed in the upper away supporters stand with a lot of Capital Gulls and exiles being present. Nearly all the action was just in front of us.

QPR were all over us in the first half and it was a maestro's performance by Neville Southall that kept it to a single goal. On at least three occasions in the first half it was a one on one with him and each time his positioning was superb with the ball bouncing off him. He certainly wasn't the slimmest version at that stage of his career but even so he was still a goalie of real class

The second half was a lot closer without really promising much and then suddenly Torquay had the nerve to actually go and score with O'Brien lashing the ball into the net in front of the Torquay supporters.

Cue absolute pandemonium in the stand. The place erupted and didn't stop until the final whistle. The last ten minutes was all Torquay and nobody would have been surprised if we had nicked it. I have never heard anything like it before or since with the closest possibly being the home Scarborough game when Plainmoor was rocking.

Did we deserve it..... probably not. Did we care..... not one bit. It was a good journey home.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

30th: Bristol City 0 - 1 Torquay United - 1987/88

12 points, 2 votes (2+10)

FA Cup 2nd Round
5th December 1987
Ashton Gate
Attendance: 9027

Another FA Cup away match is next - this one coming at Bristol City in December 1987. This game picked up two votes (I think one is from the goalscorer himself..). Visits to Ashton Gate have been fairly few and far between in the more recent decades, especially compared with our visits to the blue half of Bristol. We travelled to Ashton Gate here, and came away with a 1-0 win. I imagine there were a few Gulls in attendance, too. Our cup run ended in the next round as we lost at Coventry - a match that has already featured on this thread.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Not one of mine but I was at the Bristol City game. Dave Caldwell had a great game even though their centre half was giving him a right kicking. However, Dave did get revenge by not only scoring the only goal of the game but he also nutted the centre half with a double flick of his head while going for a back header. Think their player had to be substituted as a result. Very deft Dave, but I saw it.
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Post by DaveysBarTab »

pnutgull wrote:Another of mine and an away day with one of the most exciting ends to a game.

Almost 1000 Torquay supporters were packed in the upper away supporters stand with a lot of Capital Gulls and exiles being present. Nearly all the action was just in front of us.

QPR were all over us in the first half and it was a maestro's performance by Neville Southall that kept it to a single goal. On at least three occasions in the first half it was a one on one with him and each time his positioning was superb with the ball bouncing off him. He certainly wasn't the slimmest version at that stage of his career but even so he was still a goalie of real class

The second half was a lot closer without really promising much and then suddenly Torquay had the nerve to actually go and score with O'Brien lashing the ball into the net in front of the Torquay supporters.

Cue absolute pandemonium in the stand. The place erupted and didn't stop until the final whistle. The last ten minutes was all Torquay and nobody would have been surprised if we had nicked it. I have never heard anything like it before or since with the closest possibly being the home Scarborough game when Plainmoor was rocking.

Did we deserve it..... probably not. Did we care..... not one bit. It was a good journey home.
One of my top picks. Great day out. Big Nev incredible performance and so was O'Brien's free kick. Atmosphere was stunning. We sang non stop for 90 mins. QPR must have had 30+ shots and Nev prob saved most of em.