Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Plymouth Gull wrote:
JOINT 57th: Torquay United 1 - 1 Crewe Alexandra - 2011/12

7 points, 1 vote

League 2
Saturday 28th April 2012
Plainmoor
Attendance: 3802

Torquay:
Bobby Olejnik, Joe Oastler, Mark Ellis, Brian Saah, Kevin Nicholson, Damon Lathrope, Lee Mansell, Eunan O'Kane, Ian Morris, Danny Stevens, Rene Howe. Subs: Taiwo Atieno, Ryan Jarvis, Lathanial Rowe-Turner, Angus MacDonald, Martin Rice.

Torquay scorer: Danny Stevens
Crewe scorer: Nick Powell

Oh...this match. In terms of football it was among the best matches I've seen at Plainmoor. However, we were SO damn close. SO close to moving two points clear and into 3rd place. We had survived the worst of the onslaught. Big Bobby saved a penalty. We half cleared a corner, then BAM. Powell found the corner with virtually the last kick. Heartbreak. Both sides had played superb football all game but this game really cost us promotion. I feel that without Powell's goal we'd have gone on to beat Hereford, getting promoted in the process. Still, while I didn't vote for it, in terms of memorable matches and quality of football, it's up there.
This was me, my last game at Plainmoor to date, and my first time in the Popside. I loved this game, well most of it. We were good, and the atmosphere is easily the best I've ever experienced at Plainmoor. As Bristow's Bench was not yet completed, the crowd was packed into the other three stands and it really made it feel like there were way more there than there actually was, I remember being surprised when they announced the attendance, I thought it would be higher.

Up until the equaliser went in I thought we destined for promotion, that the momentum from that win would carry us through, but it was not to be. Despite already saving a penalty, Olejnik (who saved three penalties in games I saw that season) couldn't keep Powell's effort out. Even after the equaliser, we had one last opportunity when after some pinball in the box and a goalie scramble the ball ended up in the back of the net, but a foul was given. Absolutely gutted after this match.

One good thing I remember was a flag that the Crewe fans had brought along that read "Born in Crewe, Live in Crewe, Die in Crewe". Having lived 15 miles from Crewe until the age of 19, I can testify just how depressing that slogan is.
teignmouth54
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by teignmouth54 »

[quote="Plymouth Gull"]JOINT 65th: Torquay United 5 - 0 Chester City - 1963/64

6 points, 1 vote

Division Four
30th November 1963
Plainmoor
Attendance: 4075

----

Another I cannot find any other information on, so hoping whoever voted for it can help us out!

----------------------
I saw this match and remember that no goals were scored in a mediocre first half. I moved to the Babbacombe end for the second half, where a rejuvenated Torquay scored all their goals and outplayed Chester.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Torquay v Workington 4th March 1967 (my 879th day without missing a Torquay home match) - Diary entry

Woke up at half past nine. Played darts. Still can't find rattler (remember them). Had terrible earache in the night. Mum had to put some cotton wool and vaseline in it to make it better. Went up Plainmoor. Torquay thrashed Workington 5-1. Jim Fryatt our new centre forward scored two with his head in first half. Stubbs hit same postb twice in one minute and at exactly the same place. Went to youth club. Went to bed at eleven fourty five.
Morning weather. Strong wind. Cold pleasant. Sunny
Afternoon weather. Cloudy. Rain in evening (light).

Added in 6 minutes 36 seconds:
Wivel is so right. What a team - what about John Bond - the muffin man. Surely the most cultured left foot ever in Torquay colours. Ronnie 'Bingo' Barnes (eyes down). Huge fun watching the Gulls then.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

wivelgull wrote:What a team! The names roll off the tongue with joy....Reg Wyatt, now there was THE BIG BOOT in all his glory. You needed a BIG BOOT (we haven't had one since John Uzzell) so that glorious masters like Robin, Big Fry and Ronnie Barnes could show us what no players have done since (with the possible exception of Rodney Jack)....and John Smith! What a superb midfielder: tough, intelligent, creative, brilliant in every way. With Lors in for, possibly, Doug Clarke you'd have the almost perfect United side ever.
Agree Wivel-formidable side.Most would be in my all time best 11 too.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Plymouth Gull wrote:
JOINT 57th: Torquay United 5 - 0 Rochdale - 2009/10

7 points, 1 vote
This was mine... surprised also that it was the only one but then again, there are some on here with a longer history of supporting the club and (as shown) some great matches.
Pre match drinks and lunch in the Crown and Sceptre listening to a convivial group of Dale fans who (all bar one) were convinced we were ripe for the taking! The sole doubter was laughed down by his colleagues. A great game was then followed by many pints in Kingswear and Dartmouth... what better way to finish the day.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 50th: Sheffield Wednesday 2 - 2 Torquay United - 2004/05

7 points, 2 votes (3+4)

League One
Saturday 26th March 2005
Hillsborough
Attendance: 21526

Torquay:
Andy Marriott, Lee Canoville, Steve Woods, Craig Taylor, Aaron Brown, Craig Woodman, Tony Bedeau, Darren Garner, Alex Russell, Bayo Akinfenwa. Subs: Martin Phillips, Matt Villis, Leon Constantine, Matt Hockley, Zema Abbey.

Sheffield Wednesday scorers: Lee Bullen, Graham Barrett
Torquay scorers: Bayo Akinfenwa, Steve Woods.

United travelled to Hillsborough very much in hope rather than expectation. The two sides had met early on in the season at Plainmoor, and Wednesday were superb and won by 4 goals to 2. The return leg was a different story. United led at half time through Akinfenwa, before Steve Woods doubled the lead shortly after the interval. Five minutes later, Bullen got Wednesday back in the game. It was level 6 minutes later as Barrett equalised. Wednesday pushed on for the win but we held on for a memorable point. I enjoyed this match - Hillsborough is obviously a ground steeped in history so it was a good occasion to be able to watch my team there.

---------------------------------

JOINT 50th: Torquay United 4 - 3 Lincoln City - 1970/71

7 points, 2 votes (5+2)

FA Cup Third Round
2nd January 1971
Plainmoor
Attendance:

I can't find much about this game. However I think I am right in saying we were 0-3 down but came roaring back to win the match, and progress to the next round. Stef/Sam/Gateman/Wivel...do your thing!

---------------------------------

JOINT 50th: Histon 1 - 0 Torquay United - 2008/09

7 points, 2 votes (5+2)

Blue Square Premier Playoff Semi Final Second Leg
Monday 4th May 2009
Glassworld Stadium
Attendance: 2481

Torquay:
Michael Poke, Lee Mansell, Chris Robertson, Chris Todd, Kevin Nicholson, Chris Hargreaves, Nicky Wroe, Wayne Carlisle, Danny Stevens, Tim Sills, Blair Sturrock. Subs: Elliot Benyon, Lee Hodges, Martin Rice, Mark Ellis, Mustapha Carayol.

Histon scorer: Neil Andrews

This, the penultimate defeat on the list, was a memorable day. We'd obviously lost the season prior in the playoffs, but we had made it again the following year, after a strong run in. Histon were our opponents over two legs. We beat them 2-0 at Plainmoor 4 days before this match. Around 1000 Gulls made the long journey to Cambridge for this evening kick off. Histon's ground was not pretty. The playing surface was awful. We found ourselves 1-0 down after 16 minutes. It was all Histon, and it looked like we might be bottling it again. The game came towards the final minutes, and then Histon had their chance. A volley from Matt Mitchell-King towards goal. Michael Poke stretched out his fingertips and touched it onto the crossbar. I remember hiding behind the person next to me at this point, as I thought we'd wrecked it. I missed the ensuing scramble, but the ball was cleared. The final whistle came and we were heading to Wembley!
pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by pnutgull »

The Lincoln City game was one of mine and perhaps one of the greatest turnarounds in a match I have ever seen.

Vouchers for any potential 4th round game had been given out but that seemed somewhat premature when Lincoln proceeded to knock in three early first half goals whilst the Torquay players really hadn't got to the races. I remember seeing supporters ripping up their vouchers at this stage. However, once the gulls woke up it was all one way traffic to the extent that we had recovered to 2-3 by half time and completed the turnaround in the second half. Hopefully someone will be able to recall who scored the goals. I was far too young standing in the mini stand to worry about minor details like that.
I have to admit I am surprised that more didn't vote for this one or perhaps my limited memory has just remembered the good bits
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Good choice pnut. That was hell of a game against Lincoln. I particularly remember Bob Glozier getting injured and I think it effectively ended his career. A great battling performance and I remember going ballistic when the 4th went in. Can't remember who we played in the 4th round but it would have been someone like Carlisle away - we always get shit draws.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

samuel wrote:Good choice pnut. That was hell of a game against Lincoln. I particularly remember Bob Glozier getting injured and I think it effectively ended his career. A great battling performance and I remember going ballistic when the 4th went in. Can't remember who we played in the 4th round but it would have been someone like Carlisle away - we always get shit draws.

We played Leicester, away, and lost 3-0

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970%E2%80%9371_FA_Cup

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

pnutgull wrote:The Lincoln City game was one of mine and perhaps one of the greatest turnarounds in a match I have ever seen.

Vouchers for any potential 4th round game had been given out but that seemed somewhat premature when Lincoln proceeded to knock in three early first half goals whilst the Torquay players really hadn't got to the races. I remember seeing supporters ripping up their vouchers at this stage. However, once the gulls woke up it was all one way traffic to the extent that we had recovered to 2-3 by half time and completed the turnaround in the second half. Hopefully someone will be able to recall who scored the goals. I was far too young standing in the mini stand to worry about minor details like that.
I have to admit I am surprised that more didn't vote for this one or perhaps my limited memory has just remembered the good bits
I was playing myself somewhere that day so disappointed to miss what was obviously a cracking game.

Scorers were Micky Cave, John Rudge, and Chris Barnard (2).

TORQUAY: Andy Donnelly, Bob Glozier, Bill Kitchener, Mel Lewis, Dick Edwards, Allan Young, Eric Welsh, Micky Cave, John Rudge, Alan Welsh, Cliff Jackson. Substitute: Chris Barnard

As Scott B stated we played Leicester City away in the 4th round losing 3-0 but reports were that we played extremely well and the margin was flattering to Leicester. It was of course a visit to the new club of our former manager Frank O'Farrell who had taken the club out of Division 4 (League 2) and made them a real force in Division 3 (League 1).

We finished 10th in Division 3 that season which many supporters regarded as mediocre after our promotion challenges of the previous seasons.

10th in League One mediocre!!! How expectations change! ;-)
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Yes ,good choice.As each goal went in the volume of the crowd increased and once we equalised you just knew we would get the winner-Chris Barnard was on loan at the time,I think.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Sheffield Wednesday away was a cracking day out. Shame we couldn't hold on (that would have also seen us safe, ultimately!) But we had a really good following that day and the atmosphere was cracking. Certainly the biggest attendance for a league game since I've been following the gulls. That was my favourite season I think, despite the disappointment if the last game.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I think for Mel Lewis read Mal Lucas.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

The Lincoln match was one of my choices too.

We were established as a 3rd Division team then (I think that Exeter were just as established as a 4th Division team !).

We'd beaten Aston Villa at home 3 - 1 in the first round, won away in the second round and were home to Lincoln, a fourth division team, so it looked easy on paper. Half way through the first half we were 3 - 0 down so this was a come back of epic proportions. Lincoln had Graham Taylor in their side and the crowd was 8,147! Our first round crowd was 9,227 so we had fans in those days!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

wivelgull wrote:I think for Mel Lewis read Mal Lucas.
Absolutely right Wivel. I'm very old you know! ;-)