Bognor Regis

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

If you think losing to Bognor Regis is a good result for the club then you are mad. Losing to a team divisions below us is not acceptable.
Regardless whether the league is more important, we shouldn't be losing these games.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

To me I couldn't care less about the FA Trophy. What hurt today was just how bad we were. We did well for 20 mins then Bognor took control. Lavercombe was the only player I think who did well (his kicking was poor second half although i think he was kicking into the wind.) He made a cracking save first half to keep it 0-0.

Gerring came on with 15 mins and slotted into the defence for Iffey. I know our subs bench is sparse but at 1-0 down I want us to attack.

We were second best all over the pitch and good luck to Bognor. Friendly club and a very real prospect next season it will be a league fixture if we don't improve.

I hope the team don't lose confidence from this. It was like Basingstoke all over again and a real kick in the gut from a positive week.

Quite a few unhappy supporters at full time, mainly down to how crap we were.

As much as a Wembley final would have been nice, we have our own cup finals to focus on now.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Kit_robin wrote:Fantastic result lads, well done to all involved for doing your best by the football club. Can now look forward to Tuesday.

Only downside is Idiot MacDonald booked for something other than a tackle AGAIN. what's that he's on, 13 or 14? I presume you get a 3 game ban when you get to 15. I hope nicho saved some money in the budget for a loan centre back when the inevitable happens, as we won't be staying up playing Gerring for three games.
The Radio Devon commentator (by the way, the worst football commentary I have ever listened to - truly awful) said it was MacDonald's 10th booking. If so, I think he picks up a two-match ban. So it's a choice between Gerring and Exodus for the next two matches, then .......... Anyone know why Josh Rees was substituted at half time? I hope he hasn't picked up an injury.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

BobBobBob wrote: Really? That sounds more like the incident that led to Ben Gerring's yellow card.
I was at the side of the ground it happened less than 10 yards away from it. The two had a "tussle" when the ball was in the air as it were and their player went to ground easily to win a free kick. McDonald didn't like that and stamped on him with his right foot on the blokes ankle. It wasn't a viscous stamp (as stamps go) but I was surprised he didn't walk for it.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I think today was a good day to bow out - we simply can't afford to cram any more games into the last 2 months given our thin squad and the league has to be our priority. Playing Thursday nights would kill any remaining chance that we have. The little run has meant a few extra quid and given us some confidence in the side that we've taken into the last two league wins, and now it's time to get as many league wins as we can over the coming weeks.

Today probably wasn't great, but if you're going to go out of a cup, you have to lose sometime. Now is a good time to draw a line under it and extend the little winning run we have in the league. On to Macclesfield.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

It may or may not be a good time to go out the cup but the worrying thing is that Nico once again failed to motivate the players in a cup game against part-timers , this time from 2 leagues below. This is even worse that losing to Basingstoke in the FA Cup. We all hope the great escape is on but sadly Nico's stats are terrible. Admittedly, he is a nice guy but he should be learning his trade as a number 2 and not at our expense.
It is ironic that in the recent job application form for the Gulls shop they insisted they wanted someone with experience.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Great result however the only disappointment was to allow McDonald to start the game if he has now picked up his 10th booking.

I can not believe the short sightedness of the manager to have selected him and then the subsequent actions of the player.

I guess he's out for the Macclesfield and Kiddiminster games?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Bognorbiker
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Bognorbiker »

If your team came to Nyewood Lane yesterday with the same attitude as some of the people who have posted on this site, then You should not be surprised you lost.
Well done to all those Gulls fans that did make the trip and I hope you enjoyed the facilities if not the outcome of the game itself.
We had the biggest crowd of any of the Trophy games yesterday which shows what it means to our club, and we are in the semifinals on merit and not luck.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

kevgull wrote:Great result however the only disappointment was to allow McDonald to start the game if he has now picked up his 10th booking.

I can not believe the short sightedness of the manager to have selected him and then the subsequent actions of the player.

I guess he's out for the Macclesfield and Kiddiminster games?
I'm pretty sure it's just the one game he will miss.
I think the rules are that a player misses two games if he racks up 10 yellows before new year.
I might be wrong but I'm sure it gets reset for the second half of the season, so in theory he wouldn't miss two games until he got his yellow tally up to 15.
To the dotted line, We're on our way
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

How much would we have picked up from the cash pool if we had won?
Bognorbiker
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Bognorbiker »

I may be wrong, but I'm sure I heard yesterday that the winners picked up £8000.00.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Bognorbiker wrote:I may be wrong, but I'm sure I heard yesterday that the winners picked up £8000.00.
You are correct.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

DJ Gull wrote:
I think the rules are that a player misses two games if he racks up 10 yellows before new year.
I might be wrong but I'm sure it gets reset for the second half of the season, so in theory he wouldn't miss two games until he got his yellow tally up to 15.[/quote
Thanks DJ, softens the blow a little.

Added in 1 second:
DJ Gull wrote:
I might be wrong but I'm sure it gets reset for the second half of the season, so in theory he wouldn't miss two games until he got his yellow tally up to 15.[/quote
Thanks DJ, softens the blow a little.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

Bognorbiker wrote:If your team came to Nyewood Lane yesterday with the same attitude as some of the people who have posted on this site, then You should not be surprised you lost.
Well done to all those Gulls fans that did make the trip and I hope you enjoyed the facilities if not the outcome of the game itself.
We had the biggest crowd of any of the Trophy games yesterday which shows what it means to our club, and we are in the semifinals on merit and not luck.
I enjoyed your facilities and was kinda glad we didn't force an undeserved equaliser at the end.

I think the attitude our fans had about the game yesterday isn't meant to be a slight against the competition or Bognor Regis. It's that we've had an awful season where we find ourselves as extremely likely to be relegated. We've also had a number of postponements meaning we already have a fixture backlog of games we must win. We've had the opportunity to sign some decent players recently who have seen a slight upturn in our fortunes. Unfortunately most of them were cup tied for the Trophy and even with them we have a small squad, so we have struggled to field a team for the competition. Our bench yesterday was so lacking we put a defender on for an attacker for the last half an hour. It's a miracle we made it as far as we did!

That's not meant to be disrespectful to Bognor Regis. I thought you looked better than some of the sides I've seen this season in the Conference and without doubt deserved to beat us. I wish you all the best in the Trophy and for your league campaign.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

BobBobBob wrote: I enjoyed your facilities and was kinda glad we didn't force an undeserved equaliser at the end.

I think the attitude our fans had about the game yesterday isn't meant to be a slight against the competition or Bognor Regis. It's that we've had an awful season where we find ourselves as extremely likely to be relegated. We've also had a number of postponements meaning we already have a fixture backlog of games we must win. We've had the opportunity to sign some decent players recently who have seen a slight upturn in our fortunes. Unfortunately most of them were cup tied for the Trophy and even with them we have a small squad, so we have struggled to field a team for the competition. Our bench yesterday was so lacking we put a defender on for an attacker for the last half an hour. It's a miracle we made it as far as we did!

That's not meant to be disrespectful to Bognor Regis. I thought you looked better than some of the sides I've seen this season in the Conference and without doubt deserved to beat us. I wish you all the best in the Trophy and for your league campaign.
Yes - Bob x 3 sums up our predicament perfectly. :goodpost: If we were in mid table, we would have been bliddy cross at losing but because our main priority has to be to stay in the National League, losing to Bognor was not the end of the world as we already have a backlog of re-arranged matches. Good luck to you for the semis. With a bit of luck, you'll be drawn against Nantwich which will give you a better chance of getting to Wembley. :-D