New Stadium-The Willows

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Jerry wrote:The World Series is so called because it was originally sponsored by the World newspaper and nothing to do with any claim to be a world championship.

But they do actually proclaim the winners as world champions....................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Southampton Gull wrote:

But they do actually proclaim the winners as world champions....................

Do they?

Idiots. :no:
LesLawrencesAfro
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by LesLawrencesAfro »

...and they play 'Foot'ball... with their hands!
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

This thread has made me so angry I've decided I need to find a random group of people to hate for no reason. Hmmmm...I think I shall hate Vanuatuans. They're annoying.

Now please excuse me while I go dig out my New York Yankees WORLD CHAMPIONS jacket and go shovel snow. Hopefully I'll avoid a heart attack as being an American I am obviously morbidly obese.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

njgull wrote:This thread has made me so angry I've decided I need to find a random group of people to hate for no reason. Hmmmm...I think I shall hate Vanuatuans. They're annoying.

Now please excuse me while I go dig out my New York Yankees WORLD CHAMPIONS jacket and go shovel snow. Hopefully I'll avoid a heart attack as being an American I am obviously morbidly obese.
I don't understand the comments about Americans either. I've worked three times in the US, visited many times. Good decent people, straightforward & welcoming. If somebody had made these comments about Arabs, there would have been much tutting and finger jabbing. It seems Westerners are fair game for sweeping generalisations, but other groups aren't.
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

njgull- don't worry, I'm not American and I find some of the comments equally offensive. These people are the same that class all Muslims as terrorists and other such generalisations. It's small minded and embarrassing. If I had to decide where has the biggest population of complete tossers, I'd have plainmoor on a Saturday afternoon right up there sometimes :). It's as usual a noisy minority so can easily be disregarded as people with a blinkered view who probably haven't seen a great deal of different places and cultures.

Added in 19 minutes 3 seconds:
On the subject of the new ground, I'm pretty neutral. I think that it's worth investigating but with caution. I can see how it could work for all three parties but am not so sure why TUFC really needs to be part of any deal for a developer to get land from the council in exchange for fulfilling their obligation to the government for many new houses to be built. Clearly the council don't have the cash so will need an outside investor Plainmoor is not prime real estate both in terms of size but more importantly house values so I can only see helping TUFC as a sweetener for a much bigger deal. It's possible and may have legs so ,lets see how the initial investigation pans out. One thing is for sure, it will take some good strong management from our board which has not exactly been evident since June, but hopefully they are capable to make the right call.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

My my my. I thought we were involved in light hearted conversation, much needed after a difficult spell for the club. I was waiting for happytorq to come on and start correcting people, not find such an over-reaction.

I did find humour in eddy's post though, lambasts people for generalising and then does just that :-D
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Bunch of arrogant unworldly wise fat twats! ;-)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

stefano wrote:Bunch of arrogant unworldly wise fat t**ts! ;-)
Is this your idea of more light-hearted conversation..?? :-/
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

Dave. I'm glad you noticed the bit of irony, it wasn't unintentional, and actually wasn't including you, as your comments were clearly extremely tongue in cheek. Other posts were not
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Gullscorer wrote: Is this your idea of more light-hearted conversation..?? :-/
It was a statement not a conversation and I did not mention anything about it being light hearted although you may have implied that rightly or wrongly by the style of smiley at the end. Your choice of smiley on the other hand portrays a grumpy sod who likes to read the company health and safety policy before going to bed each night. Each to their own. ;-)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I once described a black bloke as 'black' on here and was roundly lambasted as a horrendous racist. The reaction to a little light jibing does not surprise me.

Disappointing to see more people with Small Picture Syndrome.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

What's making me chuckle over this is, how this announcement has suddenly morphed in a 10,000/14,000 stadium with a cinema, restaurants and god knows what else, reading through all TU forums and social media, must say, I fear for the mental health and sanity of some of our support.

No where has anyone from the club said anything about a 14,000 stadium that will have a cinema, ice rink, helicopter landing pad, will be capable of hosting world championship athletics (including the U.S.A team :) ) national hunt racing or any other weird and wonderful thing.

What they did say, and I think this is the important bit, was this;

“Initial talks have now begun and we are exploring the possibilities available to us.
Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... quAvTb4.99

If this stadium "ever" gets built, I will imagine it to be a stadium fit to take TUFC forward for generations to come, which is what we all want, I believe staying at Plainmoor in our current climate will "not" guarantee that, the new stadium will probably have indoor sports facilities that could be hired out to the local community raising further income, it will have some form of no 10's restaurant, no getting away from the fact that will be needed regardless, and will be fit to attract headline music acts, not washed up all rockers.

I can't see for the life of me how anyone can't see this as a good thing, not just for the club but the area as a whole, there's no events stadium in our local area, and good training facilities for local youth and senior football are few and far between.

As for the ground being built on an old rubbish tip, it was pointed elsewhere, Munich's Allianz Arena is amongst a number of new stadiums built on such ground, and as for Plainmoor not being prime development land, really ? I live next door to the old garrets coach station site in newton abbot, saw first hand just how many apartments were built on a site probably a 3rd of Plainmoor's footprint, and just down the road, by Penn Inn saw just how many apartments were built on a bit of land no bigger than the away end terrace.

Transfer any covenants down to the new ground, turn over the current ground to the builders, and you will see quite a substantial apartment complex built there.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

forevertufc wrote:What's making me chuckle over this is, how this announcement has suddenly morphed in a 10,000/14,000 stadium with a cinema, restaurants and god knows what else, reading through all TU forums and social media, must say, I fear for the mental health and sanity of some of our support.

No where has anyone from the club said anything about a 14,000 stadium that will have a cinema, ice rink, helicopter landing pad, will be capable of hosting world championship athletics (including the U.S.A team :) ) national hunt racing or any other weird and wonderful thing.

What they did say, and I think this is the important bit, was this;

“Initial talks have now begun and we are exploring the possibilities available to us.
Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... quAvTb4.99

If this stadium "ever" gets built, I will imagine it to be a stadium fit to take TUFC forward for generations to come, which is what we all want, I believe staying at Plainmoor in our current climate will "not" guarantee that, the new stadium will probably have indoor sports facilities that could be hired out to the local community raising further income, it will have some form of no 10's restaurant, no getting away from the fact that will be needed regardless, and will be fit to attract headline music acts, not washed up all rockers.

I can't see for the life of me how anyone can't see this as a good thing, not just for the club but the area as a whole, there's no events stadium in our local area, and good training facilities for local youth and senior football are few and far between.

As for the ground being built on an old rubbish tip, it was pointed elsewhere, Munich's Allianz Arena is amongst a number of new stadiums built on such ground, and as for Plainmoor not being prime development land, really ? I live next door to the old garrets coach station site in newton abbot, saw first hand just how many apartments were built on a site probably a 3rd of Plainmoor's footprint, and just down the road, by Penn Inn saw just how many apartments were built on a bit of land no bigger than the away end terrace.

Transfer any covenants down to the new ground, turn over the current ground to the builders, and you will see quite a substantial apartment complex built there.
Helicopter pad, I thought plans where in place to accommodate a run way for Dover's visit :lol:
Lucy
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

ferrarilover wrote:I once described a black bloke as 'black' on here and was roundly lambasted as a horrendous racist. The reaction to a little light jibing does not surprise me.

Disappointing to see more people with Small Picture Syndrome.

Matt.
That is the point I was trying to draw attention to. Political correctness is partial, a little light jibing at Americans is fine, just a laugh, they deserve it, blaa blaa. A little light jibing at other groups and you are classed as a "racist". You can't have it both ways. Me, I would prefer free speech, but I can't abide selective free speech.