New Stadium-The Willows

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

No doubt it will be a stadium to accommodate 1000 as befits our soon-to-be National South status. Sorry - feeling cynical today and this proposal does not fill me with great enthusiasm, even less when I read on here that an American company is behind the proposal. Also, I believe 3g pitches are permitted in National League South/North and below, but not in National League or Football League. Is that correct ?

Added in 1 minute 21 seconds:
tomogull wrote:No doubt it will be a stadium to accommodate 1000 as befits our soon-to-be National South status. Sorry - feeling cynical today and this proposal does not fill me with great enthusiasm, even less when I read on here that an American company is behind the proposal. Also, I believe 4g pitches are permitted in National League South/North and below, but not in National League or Football League. Is that correct ?
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

6,000 isn't big enough! we may aswell stay at plainmoor, however fair play to the club for trying to move forward :)
The gulls are going up
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The new stadium should have - must have - at least a 12000 capacity. And if an American firm is involved, please ensure it's not going to be diamond-shaped..
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I rarely post but after a positive thread, here I am!

The National League Premier allowed use of 3g pitches last month: http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/3g-p ... gue-44730/
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Yellow4life wrote:I rarely post but after a positive thread, here I am!

The National League Premier allowed use of 3g pitches last month: http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/3g-p ... gue-44730/

Thanks Yellow4Life for putting me right on that. :-D
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

Wouldn't this make the Grandstand (which is what - 3 years old?) a spectacular waste of money?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

12000, 8000 500,000,000 capacity. Are you lot insane? Darlington FC called, they want their supporters back.

The plans for a new ground are encouraging. If you don't understand why, give your head a wobble.

My concern is this: "The club gets a new stadium and, importantly, the revenue from the ground, the all-weather pitch and other facilities around it, and it doesn't cost us a penny."

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Provided a swap deal is all it is, then fine. Beyond that, I'm not sure I'd want to know. Beware strangers bearing gifts.

Beware also Bristol Rovers. They got stiffed by a company with more money and better barristers. That will be the case here, if things go tits up. I know the Board know this, but it cannot be overstated just how cautiously we must approach this.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

ferrarilover wrote:12000, 8000 500,000,000 capacity. Are you lot insane? Darlington FC called, they want their supporters back.

The plans for a new ground are encouraging. If you don't understand why, give your head a wobble.

My concern is this: "The club gets a new stadium and, importantly, the revenue from the ground, the all-weather pitch and other facilities around it, and it doesn't cost us a penny."

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Provided a swap deal is all it is, then fine. Beyond that, I'm not sure I'd want to know. Beware strangers bearing gifts.

I would imagine that building the stadium for us would then free up surrounding land for them to develop and this is where they are looking to make money.

As for the capacity, we haven't filled Plainmoor once in the league in the 30 years I've been going, not even against Argyle or the Greeks.

6000 should be ample, as Matt points out the only example of a new ground not improving the clubs outlook is Darlo where they built too large.

Added in 2 minutes 27 seconds:
Incidentally, they talked about a new ground at this location at some length a while back on BTPIR (or maybe it was the TFF). There is a thread on there somewhere with pictures of the site.
Last edited by Jerry on 03 Feb 2016, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

gullno4 wrote:6,000 isn't big enough! we may aswell stay at plainmoor, however fair play to the club for trying to move forward :)
Said the Darlington fans and owners.........
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Why are this American company putting the money up and 'we get it for free' What do they get out of it?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

There are those even more cynical than me who would say that as the club appears to be on its last legs, it would be most appropriate to build the new stadium next to the crem/burial ground. I wouldn't even dream of saying it of course ...... ;-)
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

I expect that the American company will be making their money from the new houses to be built.

The economics of the situation probably mean that there's every likelihood that this will proceed. I imagine that it goes without saying that TUST will be demanding a guarantee that there will be no attempts to foist an all seater stadium on us. Torquay fans are used to a good provision of terracing, and we must ensure we maintain that option within any new stadium plans.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

So when/if we ever did back back into the football league we would need to replace the 4g back to grass??

Added in 2 minutes 41 seconds:
I wouldn't trust the council with anything, look at the balls up with Oldway Mansions at the moment.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

1. People mention Darlington, but forget all the other clubs who have successfully moved to new and bigger grounds, Shrewsbury for one. But if the capacity at the new stadium remains at 6000, what's the point in a new stadium? Where's the ambition?
2. If the club ends up paying rent for this new stadium, then I'm opposed to it.
3. I'm also opposed to a 3G/4G surface. We don't need it in this part of the country. Provided the pitch is well drained and cared for, there's nothing better than playing on grass.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

However sad it will be to leave Plainmoor the fact is time does not standstill. We have to look to the future even though, on the playing side, things have never looked so bad.

Such a move will be a huge challenge for the Board and their advisors to ensure the Club is not stitched up. Never ever trust big business especially these days when so many bad guys outnumber the good guys!

If this is a American Company I wonder if a certain Mr. Kelvin Thomas is involved in any way???