Torquay United v FGR (Boxing day/Jan 1ST) double header match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Blimey! I got it wrong....I take it all back!
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

A Boxing Day miracle. What a great result. A pitty that both Boreham Wood and Halifax won but we will finish them off later :)
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Absolutely gutted!! At the last minute a change of plan and did not go!

Absolutely thrilled. What a great result. Well done Kevin and all the team.

My prediction of the gate was 2,050 and BBC Sport say 2,051. Close!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Just been at home this afternoon a bit worse for wear and keeping tabs on the scores. WOW! 4-1! So pleased for you guys and sets it up nicely for the other 2 festive games and gives you a fighting chance. That said, I don't think KN and the players can take all the credit for this result today, after all it WAS me who put Forest Green in my accumulators so I think on that basis I deserve some of the plaudits. :'( :'( :lol:

Seriously though, well chuffed for Torquay and it must have been elated shock inside Plainmoor today! PHEW! It couldn't have come at a better time and now you can kick on and get some belief back.

COYY!! :goal:
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Doesn't matter about other wins. We know we have to get 46 points at least and if we get enough confidence from results like this that's exactly what we will do. Brilliant !
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

WOW. Where did that come from?!?

Cannot fault the team at all today, crowd was electric, and all 3 points. COYY!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Well, I enjoyed that a lot. Was my first game of the season and Plainmoor was rocking. Only 2000 there, but the noise was excellent and fans were behind the team throughout.

I think it helped that the game was lacking in quality. The wind made sure that anything long towards the away end went out of play and anything towards the family stand didn't reach its target. Forest Green scored from nothing, a corner cleared to the edge of the box and he put it in the corner from 22 odd yards.

Within a minute we were level, Andre Wright got a break on the right wing, which let him get into the area, and he squared it for Marsh. There was only one man to find, and one place where he could reach him - he put it exactly there and Marsh finished it. Good play by the linesman to give it, as the keeper saved it behind the line.

Second was a nicely worked short corner and Marsh had a free header on the back post after Richards put a good ball over.

The second half we did really well to make the game awful. No quality, no chances and we were counting down the minutes. Two late goals on the counter put a real gloss on it. The third was good play by Briscoe and Berry put it in when the chance looked to have gone, and fourth was handed to us by a FGR backpass straight to Wright, who put it in the corner nicely.

Fans and players enjoyed it at the end, and it was a really positive display. Anything from these three games was a bonus really, but I am looking forward to Cheltenham now on Monday.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Football's a funny old game, eh? That was easily our best performance of the season and a thoroughly deserved win. That's why you stick by the club through thick and thin - for moments like today. It's only three points and we're still in deep trouble but for tonight at least I can enjoy watching Match of the Day with a beer.

The sponsors' MOTM was given to the whole team which is a bit cheesy but every single player played their part in that victory. I know it doesn't make up for the pitiful performances we've had to endure this season but they were bloody brilliant and gave absolutely everything.

The returns of Marsh, Richards and Berry obviously made a huge difference. I couldn't quite work out the formation, though. We played a flat back four and two up front but in midfield we didn't seem to have anyone playing in front of Berry. It was like we played Butler on the left with three central midfielders, who took it in turns to drift over to the right side. But whatever shape that midfield was it bloody worked.

We started well against the wind and were unfortunate to fall behind. Smith gave away a careless corner (he didn't do anything else wrong) with a mistimed header, and despite Richards clearing the first ball, it was picked up by an unmarked Marsh-Brown who walloped an unstoppable half-volley from the edge of the 'D' into the corner of the net. He was afforded too much space but sometimes you just have to take your hat off to the strike. We all feared the worst but incredibly hit back immediately. Berry played the ball down the line to Wright, who had his back to his marker, rolled him and fired a pin-point cross towards the back post where Marsh's first-time strike crept over the line despite the goalkeeper's best efforts. Game on.

There were a couple of half-chances for both sides with the unpredictable Wright causing havoc in the Rovers defence. He's a bit like Zebroski in that you're not quite sure what he's going to do next. We went in front after winning a corner, which was played short by Richards to Butler, leading to collective groans from the crowd. But after Butler returned the ball to Richards he whipped in a delightful cross to the far post which Marsh nodded in from a yard out. It was a superb delivery and it came from Richards' right boot - wait until Merse sees it :)

In the second half, you always felt that the team to score the next goal would win the match. Forest Green looked sharper and put us under pressure and even though we had the wind with us, we were struggling to keep hold of the ball and defended quite deep. The pivotal moment of the game came when Lavercombe made a fantastic starfish save to deny Guthrie from eight yards out. If that went in I think we would have lost. However, we hung in there, survived a barrage of crosses and corners and then hit them with a sucker punch to wrap up the points. I think it was Butler who played Briscoe through with a precise pass. He turned past the defender and tried to round the advanced goalkeeper who got his hand to it. The ball came back out to Briscoe, whose shot was blocked again by the keeper, but Berry appeared out of nowhere and slotted into a half-empty net from an angle. No idea what he was doing that far forward!

Herrera then subbed Nicholson - obviously so he could receive a standing ovation from all four stands ;-) - and his instructions from the touchline paid off instantly as we bagged a fourth. I looked up and saw Wright charging through on goal. I think it came from a misplaced pass. He held off the defender and finished with aplomb. Game over and the FGR fans cleared off. "Can we play you every week?" was the chant from the Yellow Army. The answer is yes - well next week at least!

On that showing, there is no way we are one of the worst four teams in the division. But was it just a freak performance that won't be repeated? It will be interesting to see if we can follow that up at Cheltenham. Marsh and Wright were excellent and because of their pace and trickery will cause any defence at this level problems. I would fancy Wright in a one-on-one with Downes. Heslop produced his best performance in a Torquay shirt and I thought Butler did really well in possession. Defence were solid and final word must go to our stand-in captain Richards, who led by example. Put his head in where it hurts - literally when he was booted in the face in the first half - didn't duck from challenges, outjumped taller opponents and even set up a goal with the best delivery of the game. At the final whistle, he dropped to his knees and prayed to the Gods. Well we need all the help we can get! If MacDonald goes next month then I would have no problem with Richards taking the armband on a permanent basis.

If we can keep our key players fit and make a couple of shrewd signings in January then maybe we can pull this off. Maybe. Ask me again at 5pm on Monday!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Well done everyone great result it makes you wonder if the Directors had backed the manager a few weeks ago we may have done better in previous weeks.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

What a performance! Like others didn't see this coming, predicted 0-4 and crowd of 2,050. Was only one out on the crowd but totally wrong about the score. It was made even better by being 0-1 from a wonder strike. I fully expected the team to fold after that but their response was awesome.

I can't decide who my MOTM was - there were so many players standing up to the plate.

Wright was great - creating the first and finishing the game off with a great strike - showing fantastic fitness and strength as well as no little skill - 8/10

Marsh's two goals as well as an energetic performance alongside Wright showed how important he is - 8/10.

Butler was very good - generally playing the ball on the ground when others were just whacking it upfield - 7/10.

But, for me, Heslop was a revelation - all over the park breaking up play and working really well in tandem with Richards - 8/10.

Verma also did well, playing just behind the front two, and played with his head up which is nice to see - 7/10

Richards - not quite as dominating as usual but still full of energy - 6/10

Nicho - very sound performance, those who claim he is a busted flush are wrong - 6/10

Smith - very assured performance, shame it was his clearance for the goal but it was a fantastic strike - 6/10

Gerring - struggled against the FG strikers, we need McDonald back immediately he finishes his suspension - 5/10

Berry - he was fantastic going forward in the first half but Fear ran him ragged at the start of the second. The way he adjusted his game to nullify him but still popped up for the goal was very creditable - 8/10

Lavercombe - one great save to keep FG from equalising early in the second half but stays on his line too much - 6/10

Subs - Briscoe did well when he came on. Carmichael and Finch had too little time to make an impact.

Officials - very good all round 8/10

Crowd - fantastic support, even when we went behind - 9/10

First time this season I have felt up to giving a view on the team as a whole! Well done everyone - hope we can produce another good performance against Cheltenham.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Funny how people see the game differently Lavercome was IMO one of the players that contributed greatly to that fine win, I suppose it depends where you stand/sit vital saves at crucial times that stooped FGR getting the confidence they needed to get themselves back.

I watched Richards as he came out, he was up for this game before he shook hands with anyone and that seemed to resonate throughout the side. Of course the equaliser was vital at a vital minute then we never looked back. So glad I decided to go not often do you see that kind of a performance this especially this year. Yes FGR dominated the midfield for long periods in the second half but rarely threatened goal.

Great win, great afternoon.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

A great result indeed, and, as Nico said post-match, the team played as a team, worked for one another, AND DID THE BASICS. Just what everyone needed, a performance which so stood out from the dross that has been seen at Plainmoor during other matches. And a training ground move worked second time round for the second goal. And for the first goal a hard low cross, instead of the hopeful high lobs which have created little all season.
Keep on doing the basics lads, you really gave us something to cheer today, and the Popside was magnificent.
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Just got in from the game was so proud of the whole team I had to go for a couple of jars to celebrate had my tongue pie for tea but it was worth it the lads were superb and the support from the fans was great I know it's only 1 game but if we play like that regularly we won't be in trouble for much longer COYY
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Posted a few times we would need a shock result, and shock results do happen,. Where did that performance come from, and why oh why have us long suffering fans had to wait so long for it, but, today is not the day for a single negative.

One thing I can't stand is watching the team just accept things, go a goal behind and accept another bad day at the office, accept we're not going to get results, today the whole team didn't accept anything. I'm a big believer in making your own luck also, today never gave FGR a second to play, both Richards and Heslop we're in there breaking up play, got a passes away and into to feet, instead of hopeless, hapless long balls.

Andre Wright today was unplayable, he held the ball and gave the back line of FGR utter nightmares was behind every good we did from an attacking point of view, Lavercombe had a very good game today, certainly growing in confidence and stature, 3 good saves in the second half, including a crucial one at 2.1 just after half time, well done to him.

As said today isn't the day to talk about 1 -2 negatives in the game, every player earned their money today. And the crowd were superb, what other team sat in our position in the conference premier could pull support like that, FGR are sat 2nd and inline for promotion, they can't.

Proud to be a Gull today.
Formerly known as forevertufc
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Couldn't make it today!!

Well done to all.
What a result! Proud to be a Gull!

I'm going New Years Day now.

Fans - The way you have stuck by the club this week is brilliant and it sounds like you got your reward today.

Well done all - Onwards and upwards!!!!