Kevin Nicholson has his say..

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

By his own definition, has Nicholson not become a keyboard warrior?

If I was him, I'd self-impose a ban on all social media posts.

Clearly there is a lot wrong with the club but equally clearly, there is a complete lack of business sense running the club and nobody in the building with any football sense. I don't know for certain but I wouldn't imagine Kev's contact book is over flowing with names and numbers. I would be looking to make contact with anybody in the game who has links with Torquay United over the years. Unfortunately Garry Monk has now left Swansea but did we get in touch with him during his reign? Has anybody thought of contacting Paul Trollope at BIrmingham City? Mike Williamson is on loan at Wolves from Newcastle but he may be able to put us in touch with senior figures in Geordieland who can recommend a player or two. Bristol City is a championship club, have they got anybody who can come down? Have we spoken to Alex Russell when he was here recently to see if he can recommend anyone? Neil Warnock anyone? Maybe he knows of a youngster or two that could come for a few months?

We have to find 3-4 players with ability who can come and make difference free of charge. If you don't ask, you don't get!

Then, whatever money we can generate from the board, needs to be invested in 2-3 players with experience who can organise and bully the team a bit to get results.

It's a desperate situation and our biggest expense right now should be on our phone bill.

The posts from last night gave me grave concern but until the gates are locked (and I sometimes wish they were) we have to go cap in hand around the country begging for help. There's a lot of goodwill towards our club so surely somebody somewhere can help.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Love the irony!

We demand answers - Nicholson speaks and then he is condemned for doing so. Self imposed ban on him using social media? Why? To what purpose?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Because he sounds like a whining bitch.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Is Nicho still running the 5-a-side league as well? I didn't realise that and it's embarrassing if he is.

A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

Burnhamgull wrote:Clearly there is a lot wrong with the club but equally clearly, there is a complete lack of business sense running the club
I'm not sure how you can be so certain about this until financial figures are releases. The current board have slashed costs big time and tried to put the company on a decent footing in terms of not losing money. They simply had no choice as there was no Thea Bristow to bail them out.
The posts from last night gave me grave concern but until the gates are locked (and I sometimes wish they were) we have to go cap in hand around the country begging for help. There's a lot of goodwill towards our club so surely somebody somewhere can help
The posts from last night are from someone who clearly has an agenda. In her own words, they left because they didn't think the direction the club was going in suited them. That doesn't make them right as we don't know what they would have done. Toys out the pram comes to mind where that statement is concerned. When you have so many people at the helm, it's inevitable that there will be contrasting views. They were obviously in the minority and decided to walk rather than pull together.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I would say that it's not just members of the board who are walking though. The public are voting with their feet, crowds are down so you can slash your budget all you like but when the paying customer isnt buying, you have even bigger problems.

Fans can only do so much and the interest levels are dropping.

A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

Burnhamgull wrote:I would say that it's not just members of the board who are walking though. The public are voting with their feet, crowds are down so you can slash your budget all you like but when the paying customer isnt buying, you have even bigger problems.

Fans can only do so much and the interest levels are dropping.
The crowds were always going to drop. It's the same at virtually every club in existence that when the "success" dries up, so do the attendance levels. It's a vicious circle sadly. Saying that, the fans imo deserve a hell of a lot of credit though as they have turned up in numbers which are very good all things considered.

The changeover of owners was always going to be a tough process though and it was stated from the outset that they were not going to spend money they did not have like the previous regime did. Admittedly it's not a lot of fun but longer term its necessary.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

A Realist wrote:The crowds were always going to drop. It's the same at virtually every club in existence that when the "success" dries up, so do the attendance levels. It's a vicious circle sadly. Saying that, the fans imo deserve a hell of a lot of credit though as they have turned up in numbers which are very good all things considered.

The changeover of owners was always going to be a tough process though and it was stated from the outset that they were not going to spend money they did not have like the previous regime did. Admittedly it's not a lot of fun but longer term its necessary.
Having said they won't spend money, the board's biggest decision was to bring in a manager who had some experience in the role. This, IMHO is where they have failed and nothing was learned from the Hargreaves debacle. The second biggest mistake they made was to promote a "Commercial Manager" into the role of Director of Football and give him a substantial holding of shares just because he scored at Wembley over 25 years ago.

Watching the team is no fun whatsoever at the moment, you're right. However, only those with blind loyalty will continue to fork out and watch. I've made the decision to not renew my ST next year and have no intention of going over Christmas because I can find better things to do. It's sad that I feel like this but I genuinely have become bored, like many others, with what's on offer.

ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

good for him for coming out and speaking, but im sorry it runs a lot deeper then nico, nice guy but not the answer to our prayers, should not have been appointed in the first place(sorry kev, just my opinion) the club needs to realise he is not the answer and neither is signing scott corderoy and co.
can they not see the gap between south devon league and pro footballers, do you not think corderoy would be already playing at this level if he was good enough, for christ sake fuc--ng wake up. the club is going down the pan. we are a fuc--ng laughing stock.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Good post from Realist.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

Burnhamgull wrote: Having said they won't spend money, the board's biggest decision was to bring in a manager who had some experience in the role. This, IMHO is where they have failed and nothing was learned from the Hargreaves debacle. The second biggest mistake they made was to promote a "Commercial Manager" into the role of Director of Football and give him a substantial holding of shares just because he scored at Wembley over 25 years ago.

Watching the team is no fun whatsoever at the moment, you're right. However, only those with blind loyalty will continue to fork out and watch. I've made the decision to not renew my ST next year and have no intention of going over Christmas because I can find better things to do. It's sad that I feel like this but I genuinely have become bored, like many others, with what's on offer.
Can't help but agree with this. Although it's been a tough process the recruitment is where they have made mistakes.

In regards to Edwards, it's my opinion that he took full advantage of being a central figure in the takeover process. Although I don't profess to knowing him too well, his subsequent actions are not that much of a surprise.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

forevertufc
And before anyone says, yes there's an old saying "pay peanuts get monkeys" however Dino Maamria appears to have got the monkeys he took over at Southport and achieved 16 points out of 18.
He's doing well at Southport isn't he. But the circumstances at the two clubs could be very different. Also, perhaps the bloke that Maaria has taken over from wasn't very good ?? Whereas Nico has followed on from 'Promotion Winner' Paul Cox. We'd be doing quite a bit better if so many good players weren't on the treatment table instead of being available to play.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

The club has been shafted and took the piss out of by quite a few in recent years thats for sure. As for Nicholson I was furious when he was appointed and even more so now that my fears are coming true. The bit that annoys me most is the fact that from the start he has picked himself to play and continues to do so, I actually predicted that would happen. Using his position as manager to prolong his flagging playing career when he is well past it is a disgrace. He isnt good enough anymore and wasnt two years ago. Reading that list he has made in answer to issues or criticisms there is nothing about what has been said about the fact he is still picking himself to play and is shockingly shit at football now.

The fact he came in and picked himself straight away without even being a manager from the sidelines tells me there is an ego problem there. Does he really think he is the best option at left back for the team? Is he looking at it objectively? NO!

Not only does he need a bit of help on the management side enforced upon him as others have suggested but most important someone at the club, on the board etc must surely sit him down and force him to call it a day as a player. They are watching the games they must see it too, if he chucks a hissy fit over it he can always piss off and walk away, win, win.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

I would much prefer it if the manager of my team, which is in totally freefall and got thrashed again yesterday, spent his Sunday afternoon watching dvds of our future opponents or speaking to his many contacts (allegedly) in the game regarding loan signings in January instead of bitching and moaning on his Facebook page.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Guildford Gull wrote:I would much prefer it if the manager of my team, which is in totally freefall and got thrashed again yesterday, spent his Sunday afternoon watching dvds of our future opponents or speaking to his many contacts (allegedly) in the game regarding loan signings in January instead of bitching and moaning on his Facebook page.
Has a go at keyboard warriors then does exactly that himself!!