will there be a next season?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

We will probably drop and go part time, we will be lucky to get crowds of 700 or 800 i reckon, it will be a long time before we see league football here again if ever,
what we need is investment now or in the words of private fraser , WE ARE DOOMED!
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Unfortunately "the buck stops here",that is the current board,they are in charge of ALL That goes on at Plainmoor.They bought the business so what ever went on before dose not matter,it's here and now,investment,decisions and planning,unfortunately this meager crowd don't have the wherewithal of naff all.No one is coming over the hills to rescue our club,we have a board that isn't,we have a manager that isn't and a team that isn't.National south if we are lucky,but I see a lot of people running for the hills.Local leagues here we come

Added in 1 minute 25 seconds:
ln respect to Tommy,Don and RobIn.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

We that saw Tommy, Don and especially Robin have wonderful memories of great football. But the rest is silence....so let's call it a day, give the whole thing up and let TUFC rest in peace.
Nothing is going to change now, we're on the way down....and out. Like many other mystified supporters, though, I wonder where the Bristow money went. A few contributors have attempted to answer this question but none have really succeeded. So why doesn't someone with some financial understanding give us a list. How much was there? On what was it spent? Why have we become broke?

(e.g. Payment to John Smith.....£100,000
Payment to Colin Jones....£50,000.
You don't have to tell us what they are, we know!)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

frenchgull wrote:Unfortunately "the buck stops here",that is the current board,they are in charge of ALL That goes on at Plainmoor.They bought the business so what ever went on before dose not matter.
How can you say what went on before doesn't matter ? sorry, that's a ridiculous statement, the club was left in a absolute mess by the previous board, the new board are not millionaires, if they hadn't have stepped in the club would not have even started this season.

The board have had no choice but to force through cuts backs, to bring TUFC back into a position where by the club is living with in it's means, our football club has to live of it's income now, we no longer have Thea to bail us out, do we.

Added in 5 minutes 5 seconds:
wivelgull wrote: So why doesn't someone with some financial understanding give us a list. How much was there? On what was it spent? Why have we become broke?
Because no one apart from the new board actually knows what Thea's money was spent on, if there has been wrong doing by the previous board,those who know can't really make accusations in public, unless they have proof, and are prepared to use that proof.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Probably not, thank goodness. As someone else said - when (and not if) we are relegated, then lock the doors and throw away the keys. There is no point in prolonging this embarrassment any further.
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

a few weeks back in the thread for the orquay v. Lincoln game I posted this:

"I wrote a thing for my teams fanzine a couple of weeks ago about knowing when to let go of your club in it's current form when it's being run into the ground and in financial strife. Was referring to Northampton and others but could it apply here?

in my opinion (but maybe not many others!) the club is more than the current squad, the stadium, the league position - it's about the links between club and community and its history. If the club went under would it possibly rise again stronger? Obviously that would be further down the league structure but how many current fans would get behind a re-formed club? somewhere between 500 - 1000? that would be huge support. if the team were doing well then would it matter what league they were in?

serious question. Look at teams doing it right now (Hereford) or teams that have started recently like FCUM (should this be a new thread?)"

Okay, I support Grimsby but I live down here and I get to Torquay games when I can. I've see both United v. Town fixtures this year and a few other games too.

this was a serious question. It's something I've thought about when Grimsby were really doing badly (okay, it's not perfect now but we've turned the corner). Does it really matter what league you're in?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Grimsby have been in the wilderness for far too long, but I don't think they have been lower than the Conference/National Premier, have they? Like 6667Gull, I have supported this club through thick and (mostly) thin for over 50 seasons. If we are relegated to National South, I shall say "Sorry - I'm out". However, I'm still hopeful that things will turn around and that we can survive this season. But the season is slipping by and we seem to be slipping further behind. Anyone know the record for the number of home games without a win? It must be geting very close.
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

tomogull wrote:Grimsby have been in the wilderness for far too long, but I don't think they have been lower than the Conference/National Premier, have they? Like 6667Gull, I have supported this club through thick and (mostly) thin for over 50 seasons. If we are relegated to National South, I shall say "Sorry - I'm out". However, I'm still hopeful that things will turn around and that we can survive this season. But the season is slipping by and we seem to be slipping further behind. Anyone know the record for the number of home games without a win? It must be geting very close.
you're right, it's been ages but the hardest bit is realising that you're not a league team any more. It took Town a few years to do that but have Torquay's boards got a grip of that? I don't think so. Fans too. we need to just accespt we're a non-league team and get behind them. Town's support dropped a fair bit with relegation but it's built up again. it takes time
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

tomogull wrote:Grimsby have been in the wilderness for far too long, but I don't think they have been lower than the Conference/National Premier, have they? Like 6667Gull, I have supported this club through thick and (mostly) thin for over 50 seasons. If we are relegated to National South, I shall say "Sorry - I'm out". However, I'm still hopeful that things will turn around and that we can survive this season. But the season is slipping by and we seem to be slipping further behind. Anyone know the record for the number of home games without a win? It must be geting very close.
I'm not sure you can draw such a definite line in the sand Tomo. Say we do go down but next season we are absolutely running away with the league scoring goals for fun (stop sniggering, anything is possible ;-) ), you know you wouldn't be able to stay away.

As for Richy's thoughts along the lines of a "Phoenix club", Hereford council ensured that their reformed club still play at Edgar Street. Torbay council would have McCarthy & Stone in building retirement flats before the seats in the Bench were cold! There are no other alternative grounds in Torquay so any reformed club would probably end up sharing with Buckland (if they'd have us!) in Newton Abbot.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

The Council wouldn't be able to do that Jerry-that's why TUST put a ACV on Plainmoor and by agreeing to it the Council is endorsing TUST's reasons for maintaining Plainmoor as a sporting venue for the foreseeable future.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Jerry wrote: I'm not sure you can draw such a definite line in the sand Tomo. Say we do go down but next season we are absolutely running away with the league scoring goals for fun (stop sniggering, anything is possible ;-) ), you know you wouldn't be able to stay away.
Yes - you're probably right, Jerry. But we have now had three seasons of purgatory with little success or entertainment, apart from the Grimsby match or when the ref from North Devon comes to Plainmoor - that's always entertaining like a good Panto. I'm a paid up TUST member and supporting the Player Fund but as RichyMills says - just how long can you support a club that seems to be dying on its feet?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:The Council wouldn't be able to do that Jerry-that's why TUST put a ACV on Plainmoor and by agreeing to it the Council is endorsing TUST's reasons for maintaining Plainmoor as a sporting venue for the foreseeable future.
The ACV only gives the trust the right to bid for the freehold and allows them 6 months to raise funds, there is nothing that says the council have to accept their bid though. If someone else is willing to pay more than TUST can afford would you trust our council to do the "decent" thing?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I would be the first to admit that if we dropped to the Conference South, and mullered every team five or six nil, the attendances would be probably be up on what they are now. Trouble is we will more than likely finish bottom of this league as well!