Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Gloomy Gull wrote:Not impressed with our new manager's first decision.

MacDonald is not renowned for remaining calm in a crisis.

Just what was required .......a hot head as captain!!!

I think it makes a lot more sense to make the captain a hungry committed young player rather than an unfit senior as a captain needs to lead by example. The responsibility will do Angus no harm at all.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

People scream for Ex to be dropped and replaced as Captain.

KN comes in, immediately drops Ex and appoints someone else as captain.

KN gets criticised (albeit by one person only, but still........)

More than happy with this move, providing Ex doesn't get the armband back. Angus is vocal, has got enough experience now and his form has been OK this year from what I've seen.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed, you can't have a captain who has only 30 minutes playing time in him, the captaincy may be the making of MacDonald, we've been screaming for a leader, now we have one.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

forevertufc wrote:Agreed, you can't have a captain who has only 30 minutes playing time in him, the captaincy may be the making of MacDonald, we've been screaming for a leader, now we have one.

Agree
Lucy
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

I will be delighted if MacDonald succeeds as captain and can bring the best out of the squad in the field.

Time will tell.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I think this is a wise decision.

Angus has been hot headed in the past but I agree with Philgull this could be the making of Angus.

The fact that he will enjoy the responsibility is clear and he will not want to let down the fans or the team down by poor discipline.

Go on Angus this team needs a real leader and you are the man.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Good choice!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

McDonald is one of those few players in our squad who look like they are prepared to die for the cause. He is also one of the more talented. I think this is a good decision and one which I had been hoping for.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote::Oops: And then SG woke up, found he wasn't in la-la land after all. Meanwhile, whilst he had been in a deep sleep Torquay had been relegated........

When you come out of your self-inflicted coma you might find there's no club left to threaten with your non-attendance ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
eastmoorgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Stubbs

Post by eastmoorgull »

I for one am pleased Kev has the job! To be honest anyone who wants to take the manager's job at TUFC must really want it bad and the man has qualities which will gel the team and get that defence sorted out. Absolutely sick and tired of the negativity expressed on the forum by a few; so easy isn't it to sit on your lap top and critique, often with hindsight. Those same few seem unable to offer positive advice to get the club moving forward - Steve and his board have moved TUFC forward from oblivion and have made a positive step to try to keep that balance tipped towards still having a football club we can support.
I watched Mansfield last night completely dominate Stevenage over 90 minutes of football. Krystian Pearce enjoying his football and dominant, Matt Green looking a class player and a manager Adam Murray who got his tactics right and put out a team who had confidence with a perfect game plan. Familiar names (didn't know Adam had replaced Cox at Mansfield) - give Kev the chance to do the same.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

eastmoorgull wrote:I for one am pleased Kev has the job! To be honest anyone who wants to take the manager's job at TUFC must really want it bad and the man has qualities which will gel the team and get that defence sorted out. Absolutely sick and tired of the negativity expressed on the forum by a few; so easy isn't it to sit on your lap top and critique, often with hindsight. Those same few seem unable to offer positive advice to get the club moving forward - Steve and his board have moved TUFC forward from oblivion and have made a positive step to try to keep that balance tipped towards still having a football club we can support.
I watched Mansfield last night completely dominate Stevenage over 90 minutes of football. Krystian Pearce enjoying his football and dominant, Matt Green looking a class player and a manager Adam Murray who got his tactics right and put out a team who had confidence with a perfect game plan. Familiar names (didn't know Adam had replaced Cox at Mansfield) - give Kev the chance to do the same.
:goodpost:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Just in case anybody hasn't seen these interviews: https://www.youtube.com/user/GullsPlaye ... ture=watch

By the way, I was wondering who will be KN's assistant manager. I was dreaming of the possibility of somebody unexpected, such as Martin Ling, but then the reality of the club's finances intruded: it's going to have to be somebody who will accept the national minimum wage! Anybody taking the job will probably be regarding it as an investment in the future, which is presumably how KN regards his manager's role.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

Sesimbra wrote:This must be the most uninspiring and abject appointment given over 100 applied for the post. Has nothing been learnt from the Hargreaves fiasco?. Surely there are many out of work managers with experience who would be glad to return to managership at a 'discounted' salary (Ling). The obvious role for Nicholson is as an assistant manager to get the necessary experience. I wonder what contacts he has in the game seeing that he has been with Torquay most of his career.
I hope that in three months time I am not posting the 'fit for purpose' question again.
My post when Nicholson was appointed manager
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Excellent. Another "I told you so" post.

Well f***ing done. What do you want, a medal?
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

No - it is just sad that nothing has been learnt from the mistakes of the past.