Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Is that opposed to the football we've seen for the last 3 years, which has been SUCH a delight. Don't think it's a case of any of us hoping he does well, we need him to do well, we have to support no matter what we feel, otherwise the club really is well and truly finished.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What an absolute load of garbage that is. Everyone can say they will come out and support the club and Nicholson. That means absolutely nothing unless he can get us some points on the board. As he has managed absolutely nobody before, bugger all, zilch then how on earth can he be the best candidate?
Even worse is that he is a player manager - if he plays will he improve the team? no he will make it worse because he is useless, a complete carthorse.
He has been appointed by a bloke who runs the club who it seems cannot string two sentences together.
Irrespective of how little money we have (and are told every single day it seems) we are still a full time club with full time players. Given that is the case isn't it reasonable to expect that we should be able to beat part time teams now and again?
We are still the sixth or seventh best supported team in the league for Christ sake.
Take a look at Dover - part time, and fifth in the league. We are a laughing stock and its going to get worse.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

brucie wrote:What an absolute load of garbage that is. Everyone can say they will come out and support the club and Nicholson. That means absolutely nothing unless he can get us some points on the board. As he has managed absolutely nobody before, bugger all, zilch then how on earth can he be the best candidate?
Even worse is that he is a player manager - if he plays will he improve the team? no he will make it worse because he is useless, a complete carthorse.
He has been appointed by a bloke who runs the club who it seems cannot string two sentences together.
Irrespective of how little money we have (and are told every single day it seems) we are still a full time club with full time players. Given that is the case isn't it reasonable to expect that we should be able to beat part time teams now and again?
We are still the sixth or seventh best supported team in the league for Christ sake.
Take a look at Dover - part time, and fifth in the league. We are a laughing stock and its going to get worse.
Pointless post!!

What's the point in you even commenting on this when your not even going to turn up and support them or the new manager!!
haz316
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: elliot benyon

Post by haz316 »

Do we have to pay bath compensation,didn't he have a one year contract??
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I really share brucie's frustrations to be honest, we've been so badly run for the last few years and the football has been horrendous it's hard to keep the positive spin going. Has this relegated us? No we did that to ourselves in the summer when we gave the manager a southern league budget, I said to everyone in the summer when loads of you were crowing at how good some of them looked as we beat park sides in pre season that the majority wouldn't be good enough and low and behold here we are.

Nicholson is local and the cheapest option, everything this board and club has done in the last 3/4 months has been to try and save money and this is no different. Like I said we had an experienced manager and we couldn't afford to pay him, we were never ever going to get another one.

Too much emphasis is based on managers in this day and age, they don't play, results are ultimately influenced mainly by the players and ours aren't good enough. No manager is going to change that significantly.
Sincerity
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Sincerity »

Oh my days...
I wish Kev all the best, but I must say this a massive gamble !!!
I would have chosen Sean Joyce, but I am not the guy who pays the bills
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

As I've tried to say across the forums and social media, perhaps gone about the wrong way. Management experience and coaching qualifications are not a prerequisite to someone who will be a good manager, we don't know with Nicho do we? he might be appalling, he might be very good, we've not given him a chance.

I am not going judge Nicho the manager until I've had a chance to see what he can do, there's an awful lot of TUFC fans giving the big talk about how poor this appointment is, who are going be left with serious egg on the face if Nicho does well and is successful with our team, I'm not ruling anything in or out, yet.
Formerly known as forevertufc
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Like I said I share his frustrations, we've never been any good but it's one thing being beaten by Rochdale and Northampton to just accept that we shouldn't compete or expect to beat Bromley or Boreham Wood at home any more is hard for me to take. Again I've mentioned this before that acceptance of failure is a poison at this club and until that changes and we start setting some acceptable standards for this club on and off the field we will never get anywhere.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

potnoodle wrote:I told you all, yet some of you decided to not believe me. Well I'm so pleased I bothered to come back on here.

My hope is that the board give Nico a proper contract and he Is given the finance to sort it out on the pitch. Because otherwise you lot will be blaming him if we are relegated.

Good luck Nico, nice to see you back. 'Nico's Yellow Army!'
Only the ones who don't look at the bigger picture, probably blame Hargreaves for this nonsense too. :rofl:
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

divingbboy wrote:Oh noes, we could have got Steve Evans!

http://www.allsportsnews.co.uk/news/cha ... -rotherham
See, it's not all bad
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

As frustrated as some may be (and I was sure that Kevin Nicholson wasn't the answer), I doubt very much whether he's been chosen for purely sentimental reasons. I have no doubt that he was chosen because he was the best option given the financial constraints. Yes, we had 129 applicants, supposedly, but how many of them were prepared to do it for (I presume) nothing? Kevin lives locally, is keen to do the job and fits in with how finances are right now.
TUST member 203
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Exactly, 129 applicants all asked how much and how longs the contract?

Became about 3 candidates after those questions.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Bloody hell, I bet that cliche ridden, tired old hack Dave Thomas is positively giddy with glee and excitement seeing as he has chosen to go on about Nicholson every chance he got, using that ridiculous undeserved legend tag constantly. I bet all day Thomas has been gazing lovingly at his blown up picture of Nicholson doing naked housework whilst furiously tearing the head off it, no doubt he has got through an industrial sized bottle of lube and a months supply of kleenex.

Nothing against Nicholson personally, just dont like all the legend crap, a decent left back who played for us for a fairly long time thats all, actually he played too long, I certainly dont want to see him playing again.

I hope he proves me wrong and turns out to be a good manager, might even deservedly earn a legend tag in that respect, personally if I had seen his application I would have tossed it straight in the bin along with all the other joke ones, but as a few have alluded to we dont know who else applied, who we could afford or how Nicholson came across in an interview. I have lost all optimism and fear this is a Hargreaves mk2, but I will be ecstatic if proved wrong, heres hoping.

Good luck Kev.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Not long listened to last weeks podcast, I actually usually like the journo's Dave Thomas included but if he thinks our situation is down to luck and a few players missing (even quoted Bowman who err was sold mate) then he's absolutely deluded. I've never seen a more certain bottom 4 side as this one and an unfit striker nor Luke Young would change that significantly enough.
gullable
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: all

Post by gullable »

Come on Kevin Come on lads. Onwards and upwards together we can do this. dig in and dig us out, its all about determination, keep the faith. Come on Torquay.