Cox Resigns

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
sevilla66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by sevilla66 »

I can't help thinking that Paul Cox became heartily fed up with Dean Edwards and Phillips trying to frighten the Torquay public into turning up at Plainmoor for home games otherwise the club would fold. Also Edwards has been inflaming the situation with talk of the significant potential financial liabilities facing the club if ex employees are successful in claims against TUFC, presumably alluding to possible unfair or constructive dismissal claims at the employment tribunal, According to the updated report on BBC Sport at 13.04-referring to Paul Cox stated , " Cox who was not being paid a salary ....."- if this is correct, no wonder Paul decided enough was enough.

We are going to have great difficulty attracting a suitable replacement but I still think Martin Ling would jump at the chance to return
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

sevilla66 wrote:I can't help thinking that Paul Cox became heartily fed up with Dean Edwards and Phillips trying to frighten the Torquay public into turning up at Plainmoor for home games otherwise the club would fold. Also Edwards has been inflaming the situation with talk of the significant potential financial liabilities facing the club if ex employees are successful in claims against TUFC, presumably alluding to possible unfair or constructive dismissal claims at the employment tribunal, According to the updated report on BBC Sport at 13.04-referring to Paul Cox stated , " Cox who was not being paid a salary ....."- if this is correct, no wonder Paul decided enough was enough.

We are going to have great difficulty attracting a suitable replacement but I still think Martin Ling would jump at the chance to return
As good a man as Ling is I have difficulty believing he would return knowing full well the financial circumstances at the club. He seems to be keeping himself busy, and coming back to the club with such restrictions in what must be a stressful environment could be very hazardous to his health.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Could be that the situation is much more simple than suggested in my previous post. This BBC report (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34292374) says Cox was not being paid a salary. Could be he has realised he is never going to be paid a salary; if so, we can understand his resignation. Could be at anyone taking over as manager of the Gulls sooner or later suffers stress and depression! Could be time to put the club up for sale again, not that it appears to be worth anything.

Or it could be that John Ramshaw and Dean Edwards taking over the team will turn out to be the club's salvation! Certainly the situation requires all of us to turn up on Saturday to support them.
Last edited by Gullscorer on 18 Sep 2015, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Ling, who suffers from depression, to come back to this?

I would not wish that on him. Even if we approached him I hope for his sake he declines the offer.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Richinns wrote:Ling, who suffers from depression, to come back to this?

I would not wish that on him. Even if we approached him I hope for his sake he declines the offer.
Spot on. :)
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

No doubt in my mind that Dean Edwards will takeover as Manager,probably to end of season initially(assuming we get that far),maybe something he had in mind in the longer-term ever since he got the new Consortium together.Would appear he was becoming an increasing liability off the pitch with his recent pronouncements,and seems like has had a major fall-out with Cox.At least he will know the players,as he helped get most of them in.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

This club has become a complete joke, ever since we lost that bloody final in Manchester its been one thing after another. I honestly cannot see us lasting the season. The way I feel right now is that they can shut the door and call it a day. The amount of times we have a rallying cry from the board to help the club in any way etc. Its embarrassing now. Fans have done there very best to support and help this club. In the last week or so im totally confused about some of the communication coming out of Plainmoor. What the hell is going on?? Its hardly surprising no one wants to invest, believe me there is money out there, its just nobody in there right mind would invest with TUFC.
GarryLeedsGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russel

Post by GarryLeedsGull »

I honestly think it's time to call it a day. It's not fair on supporters pumping hard earned money in to a sinking ship. I for one have no desire to travel from Leeds to give my money to a club that can't keep its fans properly informed. I'm absolutely devastated with what's gone on over the last 4 years and today has just fired another bullet on to a an already dying club
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

IanGull01 wrote:What kind of a manager texts the local newspaper to tell them that he is resigning??!!

So unprofessional it is unreal!!

Quite. Unless there's more to the story, that really is taking the piss.
TUST member 203
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

divingbboy wrote:
Quite. Unless there's more to the story, that really is taking the piss.
How do we know he texted the paper?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Stevie_RitchTea
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Stevie_RitchTea »

Richinns wrote:Stevie_RitchTea - I take it you work for the club.
No - what makes you say that?

By the way, your 'squad status' is quite fitting at the moment...
TUST Member 405
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Reading into that BBC article, it looks like Cox was promised some funds to bring in extra players and the funds never surfaced.
He then had a meeting with the Board/Dean Edwards, expressing his frustration and handed in his notice.

The above is in no way fact, just me reading into an article on a website.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

yellowsmiffy wrote:Hypothetically - If we asked Hargreaves to come back, I assume that if he refused we could terminate his contract without compensation for breach of contract? Not sure he'd give the job much enthusiasm considering how we was cast aside though...!
Sadly, I doubt that it would allow the club to terminate his contract. I suspect that if the club did tell him to come back it might then stray into potential constructive dismissal territory, as he'd probably claim that the club had by their actions made it impossible for him to return. I suspect that what we have now is a stalemate, where he gets paid until the end of his contract but agrees to keep quiet.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Richinns wrote: How do we know he texted the paper?
"Cox confirmed his resignation to Richard Hughes, the sports editor of the Herald Express in a text message on Friday morning and said he would be making a full statement on Monday".
http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

We really are in trouble here. We haven't got a pot to p*** in and now we've got no manager either. Here's hoping Mr Edwards is able to act like the messiah he clearly believes he is and perform the miracle of getting some results, making us solvent and keeping us in the(non) league. God help us.