Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Martin Ling

Post by Richinns »

Great article here and an insight into what he went through. It make you appreciate just how dark, lonely and scary places can be that people experience through mental illness:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 66664.html
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Heartbreaking to read. Really respected and liked Martin Ling (as the players did also, clearly) having read this I think my respect for him has doubled.
Gashtufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke young

Post by Gashtufc »

Glad to hear that he is back on the right track,he was a great manager for us
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Really heartbreaking to read what he went through - there were some really crass comments on here throughout his illness - and I really hope that he finds his way back to football management.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Never forget how Simon Baker and Bill Phillips behaved towards Ling's illness.

Glad to see Lingy back on track.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:Never forget how Simon Baker and Bill Phillips behaved towards Ling's illness.
Which is?
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Sacking him whilst on sick leave would probably be the main sore point. Saying it was performance based to make it legal might also have stung.

At the time (and there were polls on this very website) the vast majority of fans wanted Knill to get the permanent job, and only a handful wanted to wait for Ling. The prevalent view (including those 'in the know', which helped it to spread) was that Ling was an alcoholic, which made Knill coming in, offering his services for free and saving us from relegation on the final day, a much more attractive prospect for the future.

With hindsight it is easy to look back, with Knill's permanent tenure being such a disaster, and wish we had kept Ling (not many fans wanted this at the time, but no-one knew the truth). Those who had access to the full situation should have the accountability for doing the right thing, which they did not, by any measure at all.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Heart breaking read, totally agree with what your saying Gulli but even when you are in possession of "certain" info you still get slated on here not many ever ask themselves "why would that idvidual be saying that?" Some of us remember all to well a forum poster, south of here, obviously in possession of a greater percentage of facts, explaining why Ling should have been given time was slated a bit. Then myself giving out the Phillips was "the wrong person" even with the same poster backing it up we were still given a bit of hard time, why would we say it if we didn't have our reasons, surely we've been around long enough for people to realise we had TUFC's best interests at heart.

I wish Martin all the best, our best performances in recent years was under him and Buckles first match at the Mem? Never forget it. lol Thanks Mate x
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I read the article in the Independent which I buy most days.

Very well written.

I think it really emphasises that speculation alone is wrong.Simply not fair to suggest someone is an alcoholic when you do not know.

It is good to know Martin has recovered and is back in the game albeit not as a Manager.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I was told at the time by a personal friend of one of the Directors that it was alcohol related. Those rumours were therefore being spread by the top levels of our club. Despicable action.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Makes our treatment of him even more despicable when you read that heartbreaking story and shows the true colours of the Baker/Phillips relationship when they coerced Thea into doing the dirty. I have nothing but contempt for that dynamic duo.

Best of luck to you Martin on the rest of your journey, thanks for everything you did for our us and apologies for the way you were treated by so-called representatives of our Club.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I have nothing but respect for Martin Ling. What a tough time for him and his family. The way he was treated by the board is nothing short of a disgrace and I'm convinced had he not had his mental health issues when he did, not only would we still be a Football League side, but quite posibly be playing in League 1.

The football wasnt pretty but it was effective.

Best of lucky Lingy. Hopefully our paths will cross again in the future.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Perhaps like most of us, we do not all see the signs or know the depths of despair a person with this type of illness suffers. The article by Martin has certanily given me food for thought.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I thought he had issues. He signed Chris Mcphee after all.
MiltonKeynesExile
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Hockers

Post by MiltonKeynesExile »

Thought provoking and well written. Always take results over style so thoroughly enjoyed his time in charge here.