Academy yes or no

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I can't help thinking of all those young lads in United's yellow strip proudly parading around Plainmoor at half time during the final game of the season against Macclesfield. I just feel that with maybe sponsorship/TUST support/voluntary help a Youth Scheme, albeit much reduced, could have been maintained. It seems such a shame when the Scheme seems to be about to produce possibly decent players that it is is closing and the better players will be scooped up by Argyle or City. But hey - I'm not one of the ten. I'm sure the same questions have been asked and they have discovered that the money isn't there to keep the Scheme going. If only Sergio Aguerro (for example) would forego only one week's salary ........
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

tomogull wrote:I can't help thinking of all those young lads in United's yellow strip proudly parading around Plainmoor at half time during the final game of the season against Macclesfield. I just feel that with maybe sponsorship/TUST support/voluntary help a Youth Scheme, albeit much reduced, could have been maintained. It seems such a shame when the Scheme seems to be about to produce possibly decent players that it is is closing and the better players will be scooped up by Argyle or City. But hey - I'm not one of the ten. I'm sure the same questions have been asked and they have discovered that the money isn't there to keep the Scheme going. If only Sergio Aguerro (for example) would forego only one week's salary ........
If only! If every Premier League player was taxed one weeks wages it could probably keep the entirety of the non-league going for more than a few years.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

I could definitely see something like Grimsby towns crowd funder working, to raise a few K

Use sensible and decent rewards for pledging and it can work!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Apparently if the academy closes as we believe it will, all players should be released on a 'YD7' free transfer so I'm informed, as I thought free agents no negotiations to be done, I know our U13 team were doing very well, I guess we've fallen on hard times, and our loss in some cases with these players will be another clubs gain.

Not sure whether I should post this out on the forum, been informed another member of the academy staff has gone from the club, which sort confirms what we already know, and there could be a cut back in another area, but not revealing that in case it's wrong.

Just want to say, I wish all the staff effected by any cut backs well, never a nice thing to happen, and hope you all go on, to get jobs elsewhere, and wish all the academy/youth team players well, should what we suspect be confirmed, but the new board can not be blamed for this and shouldn't be either.
Formerly known as forevertufc
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Out of interest does anyone know if any of the young lads released the last time the youth team was shut down ever went on to professional careers?

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

PhilGull wrote:Out of interest does anyone know if any of the young lads released the last time the youth team was shut down ever went on to professional careers?

I'm sure I remember Jamie Read, who we had on loan from the Greeks last season, saying he had been in our youth system when it was closed previously.
Scorpion
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Post by Scorpion »

First and foremost, the new owners are putting their money where their mouths are and I both thank and respect them for that. Any criticisms or decision questioning that I make are clearly with the massive proviso that these people have seen the club's books and I haven't.

I am surprised at the decision to ditch the Youth Academy. Normally when clubs are short of cash they want to keep a Youth Academy to develop their own talent rather than have to buy it in. Whilst I'm sure there is a short term cost saving in doing this it may prove an expensive mistake in the long run. Exeter got over £1million last season selling one of their ex-Youth players on.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

And Exeter apparently have 11 former academy players in the first teams squad, more than any other League Two team. http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-t ... bewerb/GB4

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just been revealed over the BTPIR, that despite Bill Phillips telling the academy parents the club were going to keep a cat 3 youth set-up, none of the academy players had actually been registered for next season, so they are and have been free agents since the season closed. Should that surprise anyone, thank gord wild Bill has gone.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

The academy closed down once again.

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 94841.aspx
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

rickl wrote:The academy closed down once again.

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 94841.aspx
When it was announced yesterday that the Academy was going to be 'watered down' I hadn't realised that meant it was going to be washed away completely. I'm disappointed with this decision as I hoped some form of Youth system could be retained but inevitably finances dictate of course. It's all very well having a wider scouting network but unlike players in the Youth Academy, would-be signings would have to be persuaded to move to the area and there's no guarantee they would settle here.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I'm still not convinced that this isn't a false economy. Without young players coming through we need a full squad (of at least 18) of senior professional players. Sure some of them can be first year pros released by other clubs at 18 but they are going to want a reasonable wage in order to move down. Is this not going to cost more than having a strong squad topped up with kids?

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
muir184
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: hawley

Post by muir184 »

hey guys tranmere fan in peace . was shocked to hear that your youth is closin down . sutch a shame remember playing in old dive4 with you an you were always a pain in the bum to us . you need to keep the youth . we do as well . we are spending 3.5m on a new traning ground an also shit loads on stadium . an team . realy hope things work well for you forward seeing you at pp next year . thats if its still prenton park . rumour has it we are gonna get a new stadium sponsor .
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I really do fear for the loss of the youth academy. This has happened once before and not too long ago in reletive terms. many parents will have memories so will now think, Thats the last time we trust United. Once closed i fear we will never get it going every again. Once we could get away with. but twice and now its gonna be gone forever. cant see anyone wanting to come here again
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084