Club Ownership

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

Bruce
I know that actually reading what was written is not a strong point for you but I did not say we did actually get relegated under MB. I said we should have been. How on earth you now give him credit for an unfit ground at Stevenage is beyond me. However if we want to get in to facts it was actually Bateson in charge when we were actually relegated as the guy had the audacity to come back at the end of the Roberts season. That sale to Roberts was the decision of MB and was driven by his own greed. There was no thought of the security of the football club when he sold it to someone with no money. You hated him when he was in charge as your historical posts would prove but then again you hate everybody so nothing is new there
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

brucie wrote:Eddyh - you are the only one trying to change history - we were never relegated from the football league under Bateson. Thats happened under Chris Roberts and Thea Bristow - probably the two most incompetent chair persons we have ever had.
Like it or lump it Bateson always managed to pull something out of the bag when we were in the mire, under Thea Bristow we have gone from bad to worse.
Christ look at us now, the season has finished and we havn't got an owner or a budget for next season. Its a shambles. Yes it should be possible not to lose money on the crowds you mention but we have done. Thats Mrs Bristows fault though not Mike Batesons.
The incompetence is strong with this one.
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
RoadGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reg Wyatt

Post by RoadGull »

The crowds we had were well below the break even number which must now be around 3,500 - 4,000 to cover all the extra costs.

I remember Mr Bateson saying that 3,500 was the magic number a good few years ago and that was with the skeleton staff at Plainmoor. It must be well above that now.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

RoadGull wrote:The crowds we had were well below the break even number which must now be around 3,500 - 4,000 to cover all the extra costs.

I remember Mr Bateson saying that 3,500 was the magic number a good few years ago and that was with the skeleton staff at Plainmoor. It must be well above that now.
I asked Mike (around 93 or 94) and the break even was about 2800 then.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Sunnysideup wrote: I asked Mike (around 93 or 94) and the break even was about 2800 then.
Wouldn't surprise me if it's fewer now though. Presumably there's a bit more money because of TV rights (probably not a huge amount, but a bit), and tickets are a damn sight more expensive now. We've also made some strides in the commercial department so the hope is that the break-even point on attendances is about 2,000. New owners should be looking to bring that down further by exploring other non-football streams of revenue.

Ultimately the aim should be to reduce reliance on gameday attendance,
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
RoadGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reg Wyatt

Post by RoadGull »

I would doubt very much if the break-even attendance will have fallen happytorq - especially if you bare in mind the rising costs along with the increased wage bill due to all the extra staffing.
Sponsorship deals often sound very lucrative but when you total up what is actually given in return for the amount paid I think you would be surprised - my company boss did a deal a few years ago and I was amazed at how much he got in return for the amount he paid!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

RoadGull wrote:Sponsorship deals often sound very lucrative but when you total up what is actually given in return for the amount paid I think you would be surprised - my company boss did a deal a few years ago and I was amazed at how much he got in return for the amount he paid!
You could probably say the same about insurance, taxes, advertising, and many of the things we buy in the shops. Sponsorship is somewhat different in that there is always an element of patronage or charity wherein the sponsor does not seek to profit from the sponsorship deal, certainly not directly or immediately, but whose philanthropic motives might lead to the possibility of a more nebulous benefit further down the line which cannot be precisely measured. If you see what I mean.. :)
Webber
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eric Webber

Post by Webber »

A reminder of TUST's Forever Yellow fund:

Account Number: 01423089

Sort Code: 30-98-67

BIC: LOYDGB21353

IBAN: GB04 LOYD 3098 6701 4230 89

Torquay United Supporters Society Trust

Further details at http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Very interesting to read in today's Non-League Paper about Bath City's fans plan to take ownership of their club. Their Big Bath City Bid is to launched on June 2 as a community share offer. Their aim is to raise £1.4 million inside THREE months! The funds will be used to settle the Conference South side's existing debts and fund them going forward. The BBCB group's bid is being backed by a promotional film.
What chance of the TUST's Forever Yellow generating over £1 million over the next three months? Currently it's looking as if this kind of money is going to be needed to give TUST the opportunity of running TUFC.
zoomed
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by zoomed »

6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

God help us if a certain Commercial Manager is involved.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

6667GULL wrote:God help us if a certain Commercial Manager is involved.
I'd happily have Deano at the helm
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I remain to be convinced, one of the biggest failings of the club under the current consortium has been in the marketing and commercial sector. Hopefully he'll be more of a success in the future.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Seen a few posts across the forums about Dean Edwards and the perceived commercial failings of the club, personally think it's a little unfair to pin the blame on solely on Dean Edwards for that, as an employee he, no doubt will be doing the job under parameters set by people above him, and I guess those above would have the final say on what does, or does not happen, I personally do not know what Dean Edwards has/has not tried to achieve, therefore will not level criticism.

I think there's some across the forum worrying a little to much on Dean Edwards involvement, not helped by confusing press reports full of miss quotes surrounding this whole club ownership affair, if I've read press reports right, it suggests that Dean Edwards has a 'role' with a consortium of 'ten' local business men.

Is Dean Edwards putting his own money in ? is Dean Edwards having a seat on any new board ? is Dean Edwards going to be the main decision maker ? should this local consortium gain control of the club. I do not know the answer to any of those questions, and would suggest unless any of us do, or until we do, best not jump to any conclusions.

Our club needs stability first and foremost, it needs new life, and why I hope this local consortium gains control of the club, is I see a group with the connection to the club, the passion for the club, and people who'll do the right thing for the club, why wouldn't anyone of us want that, over a Notts County type millionaire signing unrealistic players and look how that's ended.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It isn't perceived that we've failed commercially, Dave. We have and what's more it was his job. I'm not doubting him personally and each time I've met him he's been nothing but approachable and a credit to the club, I do however have concerns and there's nothing vindictive or spiteful in stating my opinion based on the number of years he's been in the job. We have failed spectacularly, all I'm doing is pointing that out and stating that I hope his future endeavours are more productive.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com