Sturrock Leaves

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Poke

Post by Trojan »

Would you want TUFC on your CV at the moment?
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

I have it on my cv at the moment, as an interest, it shows I have amazing patience, stamina and a great sense of humour
+Gdog8
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke young

Post by +Gdog8 »

Yeovil job that's what he's got
:scarf: :whistle:
+Gdog8
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke young

Post by +Gdog8 »

Yeovil job that's what he's got
:scarf: :whistle:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well this news certainly blows several theories right out of the water, including one of my own, which was Paul Sturrock wouldn't want another full time management job. This news coupled with Bill Phillips telling the club is sticking with Chris Hargreaves makes the thought of supporting TUFC even more depressing, think I may well be going supporter gardening leave to be honest.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

CP Gull wrote:I really cannot see where Bill Phillips is coming from when he says that the club still believes in the idea of a DOF. We are a non league side, with no money and are probably looking at sub 1500 gates next season (possibly even less). I imagine Sturrock was only offering his services on a free of charge/expenses only basis as he was desperate to get back into the game - albeit only on his terms i.e with a Westcountry club.

A club at our level and with our budget cannot afford a (paid) Director of Football, A Manager, an Assistant Manager and a Goalkeeping Coach!!! Quite simply it SHOULD be the Manager's job to recruit players and organise the team (and whatever else was supposed to be Sturrock's remit) he shouldn't need help! It simply implies that he is not up to the job!

As for finding a replacement for Sturrock - well I wish you the best of luck with that Bill as I think the Sturrock "opportunity" was probably a one off - I certainly cannot see any of the other "names" mentioned in this thread being in the slightest bit interested!
I share the same view Chris but couldn't have put into words as well as you have. It does smack of, the board not trusting CH to get it right on his own, so if the club can't afford to replace him, then lets bring someone in to try and teach him how, problem is as you rightly point out, the club will not be able to afford to pay the going rate, so Sturrock was the guilt edged opportunity, came a year to late in more ways than one.

My message to the club is simply, instead of paying a D-O-F, put CH on gardening leave, drip feed him out of the club and bring in someone as manager you do trust to get it right, otherwise a Chris rightly points out, expect season tickets sales to drop through the floor and attendances to slide further.

Stop taking your support base for granted!!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

This is another case of very poor leaders at the club, we the supporters should not be in on this and other clubs would not know what is going on in Torquay. A meeting with somebody as high profile as Sturrock should have been held at an out of town location and should he turn it down the next person you ask thinks he's the first.
Phillips is an amateur!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Employing PS clearly demonstrated a lack of confidence in CH at boardroom level. However you dress it up CH was not deemed capable of building a competitive squad for next season.
Now PS has left, CH's managerial credentials have now been completely exposed.

Over the past 18 months,ALL past and present board members, including CH, have collectively brought Torquay United to its knees!

You should all be ashamed of yourselves!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

The actions of the Board, and Phillips in particular, on Sturrock demonstrate a pitiful lack of judgment. They have held up a No Confidence in Hargreaves sign in bright neon lights. They should only have done this if they had actually done a deal with Sturrock. There is no deal, and Hargreaves is condemned but still in post. What a way to behave, what a message to give to the fans. Shameful.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Arcadia, I know your as frustrated as everyone else, but where's the logic in having a sort of director of football by proxy that needs to be hidden from public gaze because he isn't getting paid or on a contract. It's simple, if the clubs wants a D-O-F, then find one put him on a contract and pay him the going rate.

However, as correctly pointed out above, the club probably can not afford to do that, so the alternative, identify what the perceived problems are, and find the most efficient, cost effective solution, this summer is going to be the biggest and most important in the clubs history, failure to get things right will leave the club in danger of relegation next term, failure to act now, will compound all previous mistakes, and be the biggest mistake of all.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

CH had a vote of no confidence from Cheryl Baker earlier in the season. He told supporters he didn't want him as manager.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
higgipr
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by higgipr »

As said by others it stinks of bad leadership and decisions. Sturrock should have been offered CH`s job even if it meant paying off Hargreaves as longer term it would have meant less outlay.

Nothing will change until Phillips goes. What exactly has he brought to the club ? oh I forgot, experience as a Western League ref ! and not that good at that either
Plainmoor87
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Caldwell

Post by Plainmoor87 »

Embarrassing!

The football world must be laughing at us.

We might as well have told the world that Messi had signed for us and kidded ourselves he would be happy to do that for free and unformalised without anyone else noticing and pinching him.

So we have a manager that the fans have no confidence in, the board has no confidence in and the players have no confidence in but is seemingly unsackable - meanwhile the one man who might have provided some stability in terms of a sensible retained last and a eye on several potential players for next year sails off into the night.

By the way I don't blame Paul Sturrock one bit but I am extremely bitter that the leadership vacuum at this club has taken us to this new low ebb.

Clueless. This is where complacency anout performance on the pitch gets you...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Especially as rumours posted elsewhere saying Sturrock isn't going to be appointed as their new manager, more in a sort of D-O-F role their, if's that's the case, guess a contract and wage speaks volumes.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Thought the appointment of Sturrock was dodgy and it was obvious it was for everyone's benefit but TUFC's. With this bunch of buffoons running the club it's idiocy to expect anything different. I did not expect to be proved right within a matter of days though. Crikey. Feel for you guys. You really are being led down the longest of long garden paths and have been for some time.

My ànnoyance in all this is the lack of communication and transparency from the board / KT about what the **** hell is happening to the club. Nothing has changed and now you'll probably be left with one of the most prolific bullshitters at the club next season, CH himself.

Please, please GET TOGETHER as fans and DO something about all this mess and move forward together. No bullshitters, no lies, no cover ups, no secrets. Why moan about everything when you can take action for change? You do not have to accept your lot. You have many options.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.