Top 100 Torquay United Players

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Trojan 67 wrote:I didn't vote in this poll.

How Tommy Mitchinson (the "General" of Plainmoor) never made the list is criminal.

That particular O'Farrell team of 67-68 that featured John Smith and Tommy Mitchinson in midfield was awesome and came within a whisker of Division II (currently called the Championship).
There were several players who I thought would be on the list but aren't. As Stefano posted, it was very difficult to pick 10 players from all of those we've seen over the years. It is indeed criminal that neither Smudger Smith nor Tommy Mitchinson are in the list - what a midfield pairing they were.

Thinking of players in more recent years, I thought Chris Robertson deserved to be on the list. Robbo was a key central defender when we last escaped the Conference and played in the ill-fated play off final at Old Trafford. Since leaving Plainmoor, he has played at Div 1 level of course.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Just as a diversion, I thought a list - or a discussion - of 'forgotten players' might be interesting. So here are a couple for consideration: Jack Swindells and John Spencer. Who's heard of them? No-one. Who remembers them? Only me. Spencer stood out because, in one match against York City he was running back towards the United half (he was a defender), when the York 'keeper took the goal kick and the ball hit Spencer on the back of the head. Despite yells of warning from the 4000 crowd (small for those days) he ignored the shouts with the result that everyone fell about laughing as he fell to the floor.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

P.S. Photographs of Spencer and Swindells would be great if anyone has them.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

wivelgull wrote:Just as a diversion, I thought a list - or a discussion - of 'forgotten players' might be interesting. So here are a couple for consideration: Jack Swindells and John Spencer. Who's heard of them? No-one. Who remembers them? Only me. Spencer stood out because, in one match against York City he was running back towards the United half (he was a defender), when the York 'keeper took the goal kick and the ball hit Spencer on the back of the head. Despite yells of warning from the 4000 crowd (small for those days) he ignored the shouts with the result that everyone fell about laughing as he fell to the floor.
Ah Jack Swindells. Featured in my first season of watching 1963/1964. Unusual style but notched a small number of goals for us. I think he went to Newport after that season for a short spell but it was at his next club Altrincham where he really made a name for himself, scoring about 200 goals for them and averaging almost a goal a game.

John Spencer I'm having difficulty placing. I seem to remember a Spencer but didn't think he was called John. I have 'Ray' in mind but not sure.

Here are some more .... Brian Handley, Tommy Anderson, and Alan Garrett. ;-)
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Ray Spencer it is. Brian Handley was TUFC's centre-forward in the first season I supported United (1962-3), displaced by the greatest of all United players. I think he was quite a good cricketer (Handley, that is).
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

wivelgull wrote:Ray Spencer it is. Brian Handley was TUFC's centre-forward in the first season I supported United (1962-3), displaced by the greatest of all United players. I think he was quite a good cricketer (Handley, that is).
Yes Brian Handley was top scorer that season. The other two Tommy Anderson and Alan Garrett are a lot trickier. They were both full time professionals but didn't make the first team other than in pre-season practice games. Both featured in our 1959/60 reserve team in the Western League who ran away with the league title and did the double by winning the Western League Cup. A successful year, as the first team also gained promotion from the 4th Division in the 2nd season of it's existence.
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

I believe that Tommy Anderson made the first team.
A Scotsman who at one time won the Powerhall Sprint.
A professional race for athletes run in Scotland.
I believe Alan Garrett played mainly for Newton Spurs.
Brian Handley, excellent striker, ex Aston Villa replaced eventually by the incomparable Robin Stubbs.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Phipsy wrote:I believe that Tommy Anderson made the first team.
A Scotsman who at one time won the Powerhall Sprint.
A professional race for athletes run in Scotland.
I believe Alan Garrett played mainly for Newton Spurs.
Brian Handley, excellent striker, ex Aston Villa replaced eventually by the incomparable Robin Stubbs.
Yes you are right Tommy Anderson did make 9 first team appearances in 1959/60 although spent most of the season in the reserves; Alan Garrett did play a lot for Newton Abbot Spurs in the South Western League, although he was a regular in the Torquay reserve team that season as a full time professional. I played a lot of games with Alan for Newton Abbot Spurs about 10 years later when he must have been aged about 40. Sadly he passed on about 4 years ago.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Those of you who disagree with the results of this poll - or who didn't vote - can now have their say:

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 83260.aspx

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

I just tried to complete the OS list, and I have to say it's quite hard to do so many! I've managed to choose my favorite for all positions except i'm struggling for top class centre midfielders. I have 4, but I really can't think of others that stand out over the past 23(ish) years of me watching.

I have

Alex Russell
Nicky Wroe
Eunan O’kane
Jason Fowler

But true quality midfielders, I can't think of a 5th. A little help?
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Mo Gull wrote:I just tried to complete the OS list, and I have to say it's quite hard to do so many! I've managed to choose my favorite for all positions except i'm struggling for top class centre midfielders. I have 4, but I really can't think of others that stand out over the past 23(ish) years of me watching.

I have

Alex Russell
Nicky Wroe
Eunan O’kane
Jason Fowler

Bugger the last 23 years Mo! Listen to Wivel and Trojan and go for John Smith and Tommy Mitchinson ;-)
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Stefano is right!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Mo Gull wrote:I just tried to complete the OS list, and I have to say it's quite hard to do so many! I've managed to choose my favorite for all positions except i'm struggling for top class centre midfielders. I have 4, but I really can't think of others that stand out over the past 23(ish) years of me watching.

I have

Alex Russell
Nicky Wroe
Eunan O’kane
Jason Fowler

Well, then, Mo Gull. You list your favourite player as Lee Mansell and he's a midfield player. Is he not suffiently 'true quality' to make your list ?? Is that any help ? :whistle:
Plainmoor87
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Caldwell

Post by Plainmoor87 »

Paul Trollope? Charlie Oatway? Alan McLoughlin?
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Tim Sills - A decent enough forward at this level, a type of player we could sorely do with now. Not too sure how he is so high on this list, but he did score one of the most important goals in recent history and I will always be grateful and remember him with fondness for that. I will never forget that moment when Sillsy scored "that" goal. I was right in line with it so had a perfect view, when Carlisle looked up and sent the cross you could just see it coming and I could never describe the wave of euphoria and relief that went through me. I leapt and bounced about like Tigger for a good few moments, then suddenly I just crashed and had to sit down, the emotions all at once just had me fried, it was the nearest I have ever been to tears of joy at football. I had just recently been told the firm I worked for was being transferred abroad and I was being made redundant after 16 years. Our promotion that day was one ray of sunshine for me in a time of anguish and depression, it actually picked up my mood and from that day my attitude changed and I started to sort myself out. Cheers Tim. :bow:

Robin Stubbs - I grew up hearing tales of the legend that is Robin Stubbs, my Dad is going to be well p1$$ed off when I tell him how low Stubbs, Collins and Mills are on the list.

Bobby Olejnik - I didnt see much of him for one reason or another, but from what I did see I must say he was superb, very solid.

Eunan O'Kane - Again, didnt see much of him, so cant really say a lot, didnt have the best of games each time I saw him, but many who saw plenty of him rate him highly and look where he is now, so no arguement from me.

Kevin Hill - I wont be popular, but sorry I never really rated Hilly much as a football player, but he did have some impressive and admirable attributes. Absolutely faultless for effort, passion, endevour, trying, attrition, character, commitment etc. His heading ability was superb. He had a lot of likeability and you wanted him to do well. His best spell was definitely in the time he had the likes of Russell and Fowler around him. He was probably better than I gave him credit for at the time, you dont rack up that many appearances for nothing. A bit high on the list for me but looking at it from others point of view and the way the word legend is loosely and easily bandied about I wont argue with Hillys spot on the list, it is probably well deserved.

Alex Russell - Superb, the way he had the team ticking over and his intelligent passing and spreading the ball was key to Leroys era of glorious football, our very own take on the beautiful game. Scored a few cracking free kicks also. Brilliant for us, we have never really had anyone in his position as good since really. I had him as my number 5, but I wouldnt disagree with him being number 3.

David Graham (GOD) - My number one, absolutely loved him as a player. I read a comment where the poster didnt rate Graham highly because of a lack of workrate. Good lord, what do you want. His workrate for me was one of the first things I noticed and really liked about him. I always felt he worked his nuts off, he was always available and looking for the ball, he pressed opposition players well, he often ran into really good positions all over the oppositions half, his goal scoring cannot be questioned and he scored some great goals. The best centre forward I have seen in my time of watching The Gulls.

Rodney Jack - My number two pick, really tricky, pacy, a good finisher, highly likeable, you always felt he could do something and possibly be a game changer or a match winner, we havent really had many like him ( The nearest but not as good was Paul Smith a few years previous, his career with us had great flashes and potential but was destroyed by injury). You could see the potential in Rodney right from day one and it didnt take long to come to fruition even in a couple of quiet seasons, then he was awesome in the nearly, oh so close season of 97/98. Only criticism is he could be a bit greedy, but he was head and shoulders above the rest so he took responsibility and tried to take games by the scruff of the neck and get us the win. As others have said, the play off semi 2nd leg has to be one of the greatest nights in our history, certainly for me in my time, Rodney was pure magic in that game. My only real disappointment with him and possibly why I didnt have him in first place is after the season he had and that semi and all the hype and expectation surrounding him because of it, the two real biggest games we had, Orient on the last day and the play off final, Rodney in both of those games was quiet and had probably his most uneventful matches which was unlike him. Deserves top spot, we havent really seen many come even close.

Here is my top 10 players -

1.David Graham
2.Rodney Jack
3.Lee Sharpe
4.Mark Loram
5 Alex Russell
6.Jason fowler
7.Tom Kelly
8.Paul Holmes
9.Matt Elliott.
10.Kenny Veysey.

As a few have touched upon it is a shame more posters didnt vote as we may have got a more balanced list and probably would have reached 100 players, there are likely to be quite a few more deserving of a place. As Plainmoor 87 wrote I am surprised the likes of Paul Smith, Wes Saunders (POTY 91 - captain of the promotion team), Paul Trollope (POTY), Charlie Oatway (POTY) and Jim McNichol were not on there, also must mention Phil LLoyd who was awesome until breaking his leg, he was player of the year (he got my vote) in one of our best seasons 87/88, no mean feat when you look at that team and quite a few made the list. He was so, so close to being in my top 10. He is definitely on my list of best defenders.

Interesting to see the breakdown of points - between 7th and 8th there is a 20 point gap - between 6th and 7th there is a 36 point gap - 4th is then on its own really - then the top 3 are way out on their own.

Well done Plymouth Gull for this thread, it has been brilliant, the only enjoyable thing I can think of in the last few seasons. Maybe, could we run it again later in the year but with posters voting for their top 20 players, I suspect more would vote next time and we would probably fill the 100.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).